.243 short barrel sacrifice???

johnk

HI all...I have a Ruger 77RSI ( Mannlicher )in .243 I LOVE. It is my fast, woods/groundblind deer/pig rifle...but...it has a 20 inch barrel. I shoot primarily factory 100's...any idea of the performance I sacrifice with that shortie. Note, I get 2" groups with a rest at 150 yrds. just piddlin'. ( pentax 4-14X44 ). I have reloading capability if I want to...should I??? what bullet? what recipe? Thanks.

Sometimes you have to sacrifice a little barrel length/velocity to acquire the fast handling/good in tight spaces qualities. I wouldn't sweat it a bit for deer/hogs. Sounds like you like the rifle. Don't second guess yourself.

Try a 100gr Sierra GK over 42.3gr. IMR 4350........

My Remington 700 BDL also has a 20 inch barrel. It's my favorite calling rifle. Handles great, and is sub MOA accurate with my handloads. I've never noticed the loss of velocity due to the shorter barrel.

thanks to all...my shots are 70-150yrds...I shoot about once every 6 weeks; more nearing hunting season or if I swap scopes...

Originally Posted By: SamSpadeUse a faster burning powder like 4895 and 85 gr Game Kings, you won't notice any loss in velocity!
Yea, I like the idea of the faster burning powder. The 85gr HPBT Game Kings are great bullets and allow you to get a little more velocity over the larger 100gr bullets.
thumbup1.gif

my ruger ultra lite with a 18 1/2 inch barrel shoots 95 gr nosler bts at 3250 with 47 gr of 7828 a slow power . i use to use 4350 but got better groups with 7828 this is a hot load in the new reloading manuals so use it with care. i have shot up to 50 gr in this rifle with out any signs of pressure

For your situation I agree with the above posts. Something that has caught my eye even though it is not out yet is the new speer deep curl 80gr bullet. I was thinking it would be very interesting for a short barrel .243, even before I saw your post.

Originally Posted By: johnkHI all...I have a Ruger 77RSI ( Mannlicher )in .243 I LOVE. It is my fast, woods/groundblind deer/pig rifle...but...it has a 20 inch barrel. I shoot primarily factory 100's...any idea of the performance I sacrifice with that shortie. Note, I get 2" groups with a rest at 150 yrds. just piddlin'. ( pentax 4-14X44 ). I have reloading capability if I want to...should I??? what bullet? what recipe? Thanks.

What you need to worry about is your barrel's twist rate matching the bullet's weight. Not the length of the barrel. Sure, 20" vs. 24" barrels, we all know which one will have faster FPS but that hog, deer, or a yote won't know a darn difference if it's dead. Great thing about .243 is that there is PLENTY of factory ammo to choose from. 20" barreled rifles are my favorite for hunting applications.

Back