Hunting Horseback

Doc, I follow hounds alittle, and hunt yotes with my decoy dogs a bunch. I just use my ranch horses, same ones I use for everday cattle work.
I use them, cause they are what I own,and,I trust them.
spotlightonsis2.jpg

Packingout.jpg

horsebackhunt2.jpg

Last edited:
Doc, I'll take a horse anyday. Them mules are too [beeep] ugly.... i sent Devin a pic of a little grullo colt we had the other day and he asked me "whats wrong with its ears, there short, did you dock them like you dock your dogs tails"....lol.

I know mules are suppose to be superior but i haven't had my horses quit on me yet.

I ride quarter horses but we have started a few half drafts that my buddy ownes that would be [beeep] tough to beat.

No matter what you like to ride the key is to actually use them....kinda like the dogs we own. If they get used they become something.

I tried a "pasa fino" (spelling?) Ugly as sin, and scared of every thing.Some folks claim they are great, but the one I tried was a dink.
10 or so years ago I had a Tenn walker, could really cover ground, and was an older horse. Did fine for a dumb kid.

Doc I have rode a bunch of gaited horses and mules, and they are worthless in the mountains. You still have to get them into the gait to acheive what you want out of a gaited anilmal, and that is real hard to do going up a steep mountain or trail.

Doc, if i was gonna get an animal for basically riding in the mountains and hunting off of i would consider a half draft or a 3/4 quarter horse and 1/4 draft. You can't beat their disposition and i haven't seen one wear out yet.

We had a load of half drafts shipped from Tennessee a few years ago. They weren't halter broke and i don't think they had been touched. After putting just 10 days on them they were being used for everything. I don't care what you are on i dont think that you can walk away from them on the mountain.

No matter your preference just put them to work and make something out of them.

Here are a few pics of Zeek and Whiskey. They are 5 and 4 years old now....and pretty dang wild!!!
DSC04282.jpg

DSC04272.jpg

DSC04287.jpg

DSCN4535.jpg

DSCN3345.jpg

185_185.jpg

IMGA0528.jpg

IMGA0525.jpg

127_127.jpg

Tace care, jason

Last edited:
Poser, I would agree, if I didn't need speed for doctoring calves in the brush, I would be riding "draft x's" for following dogs. The temperment,and toughness,are perfect for what we need to follow dogs.
You got any horseflesh for sale right now????
I need a solid ranch horse to use while I get these colts going.

Thanks fellas. Im still in the process of finding what suits me.
I have never sat on a mule and pretty much had them written off, but a few friends kept braggin them up, and tellin me to give one a try. Im going to try out my first one this weekend.
I have ridden enough cowboy quarter horses to know that they arent what Im looking for...great temperments and good in the hills, but about beat me to death riding them, almost had me whipped off horses all together...LOL Just recently rode my first gaited horse (Peruvian Paso) and man was I suprised. Ground covering, smooth going SOBs. I had always heard the gaited horses were no good in the hills, so I asked the fellas that owned them about it. They laughed and we headed into some steep, rocky, ledgy, country and they moved like dang mountain goats. I laughed, and said if a mule or quarter horse can go someplace these cant, it will be doing it solo, cause I got no interest in finding out how they'd do it.
After riding these gaited horses I was convinced I could use a horse a bunch more than I have been, and that opens a bunch more country for hunting...:) I will be trying out about a half dozen different gaited horses over the next week and see if my buddies were a fluke or not.
Thanks again for all the input!

poser-I would think the 1/2 drafts would be a bunch of what I dont want...tall, wide, slow, and rough. Im imagining them as bigger versions of the cowboy horses? Does the blend change them totally?

Take care.

Last edited:
Im really thinking about getting a couple of mules for Mrs Podunk and I to ride/ hunt off of. What are the benefits of a mule to a horse if there are any? Ive heard they are easier to keep, is this true?

Uhd- I have had several of the draft crosses in the past 15 years and have had them in all sorts of percentages and crosses. They are about like anything else in body type and athleticism, some are big or small, some I could outrun on foot and some were amazingly fast and agile, but the one thing about all of them did have was good dispositions and good minds, only about one in ten was puke in my experience. I used a bunch of them for an outfitter up by Aspen and they were a pretty good string; good minded, good footed and traveled through the rough country real well. Two tips I will share that might help you out is to remember "no foot, no horse" and a good horse is never a bad color.Best of luck in horse search. Obaro

Doc, I know of two Paso finos, for sale close by , they are cheap.I have never been on them, but if ya wanna come up and try them I can sure get ya some contact info.
I can see your point about our "cowboy horses", they may not be "smooth" but try to rope and choke 20+ 450 to 700# calves a day off a gaited horse.I'm just trying to make the point that you gotta "ride what ya feed", I can't afford to have a horse that is only for trailing dogs, I keep a few ranch horses, and they have to be my "dogtrailers", when they are not working cattle.
If you are looking for a horse/mule, just for trailing dogs, you have lots of choices.Test lots of them, and buy one that you really like, "horseflesh", is cheap right now, there is no reason at all to ride a dink.

Last edited:
We raise 'em, ride 'em, drive 'em. Performance/Stock horses, Drafts, Draft Xs. We even have a Foxtrotter or two around.

This is Otoe's Biscuit. We just sold her to some nice folks in Colorado. She is as good as they get. Quiet and soft, soft, soft. The kind that you hate to let hard hands touch.

webbiscuitlt.jpg

BiscuitTJdog.jpg

webbiscuit.jpg

A couple of others like Biscuit went to Germany and we have another one we are trying to close on to go to Norway. We are pulling out in the morning for a good Draft Horse and Equipment sale in Brighton, Colorado this weekend. Should be some Draft Crosses there.

http://www.troyerauctions.com/sale_bill.php?Event_ID=1540

One of our trainers has a really nice 2000 model, Black Foxtrotter mare he would sell. We steered him onto her as a weaner as we know her sire & dam. She ain't cheap but she is everything any trail rider could ever want! Here she is in her winter clothes.

KenyaLHD.jpg

KenyaLFQ.jpg

www.doublecklivestock.com

podunk i have rode and owned both, and the one thing i can say about a mule is they will always bring you home safe. I have been with people on several occasions when my mule wouldnt go somewhere and someone on a broke to death quorter horse would plot right in to regret it. Nothing against a horse, I dont have a single mule on my place right now, but in a bad spot i will ALWAYS trust a mules judgment over any man or beast. Wich can be a great asset on some of the escepades that we as houndsmen find ourselfs in from time to time.

Back