Anyone using a Swarovski with the BT reticle

va_ken

Wondering if any of the varmint hunters have tried the Swarovski ballistic turret setup. Sounds like it may be the ticket for quick dialing on long range.

I bought a 6X18 AV with the BT. I really like it. But I do not consider it a long range turret. It works fantastic on a short range 223 rifle. I have the crosshair sighted in at 200, and the three turrets sighted in at 300, 350, and 400. Which works out perfectly for me. Since I consider 400 yards as the absolute farthest I can consistently kill ground hogs(probably a bit too far) without any crawl offs and a 223 cartridge.

The scope tracks perfectly. And the turret works perfectly. However I would not see it as a real useful turret if you were wanting to shoot real long range. Maybe out to 500 or 600 yards with a larger, flatter shooting cartridge. But 600 would be pushing it. You only have three adjustment rings, plus the crosshair.

With its limitations on range, the turret and scope have NO other limitations. The turret works perfectly every time, and it is unbelievably fast and precise, and easily noticable.

Maybe not for the "Sniper" guys. But for the hunter it is perfect. But then I do not know any snipers. Tom.

Toms got a good handle on it with his reply, I wouldnt call it a "tactical" scope either.

The 4 Swarovski's I own are all the BR or the BRX reticles for varmint shooting. While I can reach way out there with those reticles. Its not on exact yardages as it would be with a turret that you can set anywhere. For my use, I love the BR type reticles, they are the shizzel on the prairie dog town.

ETA
Did you mean BT=ballistic turret

or the BR reticle?

Last edited:
HOGGHEAD & Furhunter - thanks for the replies. Yes, FH, I was talking BT with the 3 adjustments like HH talked about. I figured I would quit buying rifles for a while and play more with scopes. As usual with the high end stuff, finding a good price is challenging... Just got back from a PD hunt in WY and while I was counting hash marks on my NF and checking my drop chart, I began to think about the Swaro BT reticle set-up and can see where it would be an advantage especially on a flat shooter out to maybe 600 yds.

Is the BT system similar to the Multi-Zero system Kahles uses? Just curious as I have two Kahles with Multi-Zero in the gun safe that I am anxious to try.

vernatic - I did not know Kahles made one but I just looked at it and it appears to work very similar. Swaro is color coded and has 3 adjustments after zero - looks like Kahles had 4 adjustments after zero, a little more complicated to adjust and not color coded. Either should beat counting lines and dots!

The Kahles is very similar.

I am not sure what scope you are looking for. But I just got a great deal from Doug on a 6X18 AV Swaro with the BT for $879(total). I was very happy with the deal. I do not know if he has any left. I do think he has some 4X12's for an even lower price with the BT. Great scopes-and a real deal for that price(compared to other scopes).

I also like the marked reticle like FH described. And I think they have a place in your arsenal as well. But for real precision shooting out to 500 or 600 yards the BT is real hard to beat. I Do not know how far you shoot. But the BT would work for probably 99% of all the hunters out there. Tom.

Originally Posted By: HOGGHEADThe Kahles is very similar.

I am not sure what scope you are looking for. But I just got a great deal from Doug on a 6X18 AV Swaro with the BT for $879(total). I was very happy with the deal. I do not know if he has any left. I do think he has some 4X12's for an even lower price with the BT. Great scopes-and a real deal for that price(compared to other scopes).

I also like the marked reticle like FH described. And I think they have a place in your arsenal as well. But for real precision shooting out to 500 or 600 yards the BT is real hard to beat. I Do not know how far you shoot. But the BT would work for probably 99% of all the hunters out there. Tom.

Who is Doug? Is that the guy at Camera Land that posts some demo prices at times?

Last edited:
I would have to agree on the BT being a more pin point at a certain yardage, if a person wants a zero at 100, 300, 500 etc, thats for sure the way to go. All of my BR reticles are on PD rifles, what makes them so nice is that not all my targets are at perfect ranges. I range a PD, look at the cheat cards I have made up and find the reference line or dot thats as close to my range I need and fire away. My first shot hit % has sky rocketed since starting to use them. I got Claimbuster to buy one, he's added another this year. I think he likes them too. Your welcome CB!

BR, BRX, BT or whatever aside............. you cant beat the view thru them either!

I'd much rather utilize a scope that has standardized turrets. Those multi zero types look to be too much "gizmo" for me...

IF I had a hankering for a 'ballistic turret' on one of my exposed turret scopes, I'd do as follows:

1. Wrap a piece of 1/4" masking tape around the ele. turret

2. Mark the masking tape on the turret 'click' that corresponds with a given yardage.

3. Go shoot.

When conditions change, you are shooting in a new location, or are shooting a different load, peel the tape off and make you another "3M ballistic turret" that jives with your new drop data...

But for the life of me, I still can't see how hard it is to just dial the turret to a given value? Long range type shooting, specifically, affords the shooter TIME to do just that...

The reason why the Swarovski Ballistic turret works better than the other ones, is because it is not fixed, it is adjustable. It can be changed for different bullet drops, with a minimal amount of range time. Tthat is what I like most about it. It is not like the fixed knobs where you send in your trajectory, and they make you a knob.

It is not a gimmick or a gizmo. It really works the way they say it works. And the Swaro. glass tracks perfectly. So with minimal range time you can truly have short-range to mid-range accuracy.

The bottom line is you can not look at it like a tacticool scope. You have to look at it like a practical hunting tool. And that is what most shooters want. And that is exactly what it is. Tom.

Tom, with all due respect, dialing a turret is dialing a turret. There ain't no 'more better-er way' than just dialing a repeatable turret to a known value. Or, just holding over in the reticle, for that matter...

If I didn't think it'd get pulled, I'd post a link to another predator hunting site that has this video. So, I'll post a link up here to a video that shows how easy it is to dial, and/or hold to get a hit at distance.

edit: link removed

Please take notice of the 'non-tacticool', non 'ballistic-cool' optic...
Imagine that? No goofy ballistics turrets, silly reticle, or nuthin!!!

Last edited:
I enjoyed the video and apperciate all the comments. I know I will be corrected if wrong, but a mil dot scope has to be shot on the magnification that corresponds with the chart or I guess you could have a chart for every power of the scope? The Swaro BT should work on any power - right?

Originally Posted By: va_kenI enjoyed the video and apperciate all the comments. I know I will be corrected if wrong, but a mil dot scope has to be shot on the magnification that corresponds with the chart or I guess you could have a chart for every power of the scope? The Swaro BT should work on any power - right?

Yes it works at any power. Tom.

Originally Posted By: knockemdownTom, with all due respect, dialing a turret is dialing a turret. There ain't no 'more better-er way' than just dialing a repeatable turret to a known value. Or, just holding over in the reticle, for that matter...

If I didn't think it'd get pulled, I'd post a link to another predator hunting site that has this video. So, I'll post a link up here to a video that shows how easy it is to dial, and/or hold to get a hit at distance.
video linky

Please take notice of the 'non-tacticool', non 'ballistic-cool' optic...
Imagine that? No goofy ballistics turrets, silly reticle, or nuthin!!!

I think we are on the same page. I have reticles such as you describe, and your video shows.

All I was trying to say is that Ballisitc Turret does not have any of the problems that are associated with a fixed-marked turret. And all I was really trying to convey is that the BT is very simple for what it does. But everything you also say is correct.

As I said earlier the BT works great for me for precision barn yard ground hog shooting out to 400 yards, with pinpoint accuracy, and simple ease of use. Tom.

va ken,
Being that the 6500 scope is a SFP optic, the mildot reticle subtends true at only one mag setting, in this case, 10X power. Those turrets adjust in 1/4" per 100yds (IPHY), and do so on any mag. setting. The fact that the 6500's turret adjustment values don't 'match' the reticle subtensions is not ideal, but this isn't a scope I'd be doing much dialing with anyway. I only did so in the video to illustrate a point...

IF that scope had a FFP reticle, then I could have used that same reticle holdover accurately at ANY mag setting, not just @ 10X as in the vid. And therein lies the benefit of a FFP optic. The shooter can employ holdovers for elevation & windage corrections throughout the entire mag range of the scope. But that's a whole nutha ball o' wax...

Tom, if that Swaro scope is working for you, then more power to ya! I just don't see any 'problems' with a fixed marked turret, as you mentioned? NO sense in beating that horse into the ground, though...

The Swaro BT (and Kahles Multizero) designs essentially do what my aforementioned el cheapo '3M Tape ballistic turret' does. They both provide a visual marker for a specific yardage zero. And I agree with you that the BT's resettable markers make that system much more versatile than being limited by a custom made ballistic turret built around ONE load...
That said, the BT design limits the shooter to only 3 'marks', and only on the 1st revolution of the turret, at that. Again, too limiting for the type of shooting I like to dabble in...

Hope ya keep on poppin' them g-hogs and having fun
smile.gif

Again - great stuff here and bring a thought that FFP optics should be more available than the SFP optics. Although the reticle would enlarge with the magnification, I would think it would still work OK. I know Nightforce recently came out with a FFP and believe I saw a review a while back.

Back