Nevada rattle snakes while coyotes

I wear the side-zip snake boots from Bass Pro while any kind of hunting in SC. We have a lot of rattlers, copperheads and cottonmouths in all of the woods. Hot but better than bitten by one on them.

I have a lot of rattlesnakes down here and always wear chaps when out of the yard. Yes they are hot but it gives me the comfort of knowing I hve a some protection and can concentrate more on what I need to do than staring at the ground. Although I still try to keep aware of what's under my feet. I also carry my .45 with shotshells, even when just mowing the yard.

I hunt a place named rattlesnake ridge - guess why? Never seen a rattler there - go figure.

While the snakes are out there, I've only seen them after someone else I was hunting with pointed them out. Otherwise I would have passed them, unmolested.

I don't wear chaps or snake bite boots, or those hard shin/calf protectors. I poke around with my shooting sticks the area I'm going to sit down in. I also don't poke under rocks, etc.

What part of NV did you move to? I can take you out and show you how we sit quietly listening to our calls for 20 minutes at a time then move on to different scenery and repeat... LOL.

Hey Larry, your location in your avatar still says CA, LOL. I would almost bet you wont see many rattlers. I lived here for comming up on 29 years and I have only seen 2 rattlers in all those years.

t/c223encore.

The boots locountryhunter mentioned will work fine. I have a simliar pair myself. Just pay attention to where your hunting. Those chaps will do the trick but it will be warm.

It just takes one bite. If your outta cell phone range, have to hike back to your rig several miles or your a hour or so away from the hospital not the best thing that can happen. Me personally I rather be safe than VERY SORRY.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: southwestwalkersThe boots locountryhunter mentioned will work fine. I have a simliar pair myself. Just pay attention to where your hunting. Those chaps will do the trick but it will be warm.

It just takes one bite. If your outta cell phone range, have to hike back to your rig several miles or your a hour or so away from the hospital not the best thing that can happen. Me personally I rather be safe than VERY SORRY.

good thinking but me personaly I would rather move far away from rattlers,

I'd go with the boots over the chaps out here just because of the heat. Something like 90% of bites are below the knee so a boot that goes up to the knee will work great. I still wouldn't want to test them out.

I heartily endorse the Bass Pro Snake Boots. Bought and wore a pair in Zimbabwe last August. Found them to be very comfortable, fit well, and they cover the leg up to the knee. Fortunately we did not encounter any snakes while in Zim and I also wear them here in Texas. I regularly rub them down with Sno Pruf, or a similar product, to maintain their waterproof status and enjoyed that during our hunting season last fall.

Originally Posted By: AzRednekRabbitI'd go with the boots over the chaps out here just because of the heat. Something like 90% of bites are below the knee so a boot that goes up to the knee will work great. I still wouldn't want to test them out.

Not trying to be contentious, but the overwhelming majority of bites are on the hands and arms, and they are on men in there early 20's who have alcohol in their system got to a wilderness medicine class and they'll tell you that every time they talk about snakes. I've be doing search and rescue for 5+ year and that is one statistic that doesn't change. Just so you know.

Heretic, i live in Vegas and need a hunting partner. this winter will be my 3rd season and still have not put down my first coyote; getting frustrated. any help with a seasoned hunter would be great. i'm also a member of the Boulder City Pistol and Rifle club if ya ever wanna come out. up to a 900 yd range, very nice.

i've been in the desert alot in the past few years and have yet to see/notice a rattlesnake.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jeepdude1987Originally Posted By: AzRednekRabbitI'd go with the boots over the chaps out here just because of the heat. Something like 90% of bites are below the knee so a boot that goes up to the knee will work great. I still wouldn't want to test them out.

Not trying to be contentious, but the overwhelming majority of bites are on the hands and arms, and they are on men in there early 20's who have alcohol in their system got to a wilderness medicine class and they'll tell you that every time they talk about snakes. I've be doing search and rescue for 5+ year and that is one statistic that doesn't change. Just so you know.

I didn't add in the idiot factor. If you're playin' with a snake that's your own dang fault. I'd assume that the number of dry bites goes down when a snake is handled too. But for just the average Joe that has a shred of intelligence that is walking through habitat that has venomous snakes, his arms are probably in the clear. Very valid point though sir.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think chaps are neccessary unless you plan on hunting/catching rattlesnakes. We have lots of them down here, and unless you are antagonizing/harassing them, there is not much of a chance of being bitten above the knee. Some high top boots or shin/calf gaurds will work best, especially as if it gets as hot there as it does here.

The "big" ones are fairly easy to hear when you get near them, its the babies you have to be careful about. The venom is completely released in the young ones where as the older snakes only release a bit. Good boots are important. Snake Gaiters work ok (as opposed to chaps) and are not as hot. I've had a couple under 9 inchers stuck on my boots over the years. (Fangs stuck in my boots and the snake squirming around trying to get off....scary)

You can get really good deals on chaps at leatherup.com should you go that route.

Make sure you poke around a bit if you are going to sit. I've got up after sitting for a bit at a campfire only to see 5-6 scorpions had been warming themselves under my butt!

Originally Posted By: NMdoghunterI don't think chaps are neccessary unless you plan on hunting/catching rattlesnakes. We have lots of them down here, and unless you are antagonizing/harassing them, there is not much of a chance of being bitten above the knee. Some high top boots or shin/calf gaurds will work best, especially as if it gets as hot there as it does here.

I agree. The little ones are loco man. The bigger ones know what they are capable of therefore they are a little less of a worry. They seem to have things under control. The only problem we are having out here lately is that the dang things don't rattle until they are really angry. Four of the last five I shot didn't make a sound until I shot them and I was CLOSE. Wayyyyyyyy too close for me. The one that rattled was actually on the move and pretty warm so I wasn't suprised he sounded off.

Actually the rattling instinct is being shot and beat out of the rattlers from what I've read AZRabbit. If you shoot everyone that rattles the only ones left will be the ones that don't.

Jeepdude, That one still cracks me up, I got two freinds in "Pinon NM",they say the old guys tell that story.
Anyhow, we have a pile of rattle snakes here, I see them more days than not, when huntin.Many days see half a dozen or more. I wear slip on boots, watch for snakes, and check my callin spots before I SIT DOWN!!!
Most guys that get snake bit deserve it!!
If snake boots, or chaps/chinks make anyone feel safer, then by all means use them.
I look at snakes as part of hunting, use your common sense, you will be fine.

Back