Branding dogs, yes or no

[/quote]
how much does a typical iron run? im wanting to brand my catahoula cross here in the next week or two? also was wondering how brands turn out on somewhat longer haired dogs? [/quote]

Sorry I don't know.

I have no experience branding dogs only horses. I am anxious to give it a try myself. I bet there are welding shops in your area that build irons. Give some a call.

Good luck. Keep us posted as to how it goes.

I don't have a link, but have bought a few irons from this outfit. They are good quality, and priced fair.
Search "L-H Brands" Mandan SD.

Not "stupid", a good "?". I "juice" them, and cut nuts at the same time if they need it.
"Juice" makes things much easier, for branding and castration.

I freeze brand all mine on their ears because when they look at a stranger or listen to them the person will see the brand and usually won't pick them up. Mike

Quote: how much does a typical iron run? im wanting to brand my catahoula cross here in the next week or two? also was wondering how brands turn out on somewhat longer haired dogs?
Sorry I don't know.

I have no experience branding dogs only horses. I am anxious to give it a try myself. I bet there are welding shops in your area that build irons. Give some a call.

Good luck. Keep us posted as to how it goes.

Pittsburgh foundry is a good place to work with, will send you a photo of the cad file before it's made, and guarantees your satisfaction. He will do anything up to 4" including custom work (like mine that he's just finished!) for $75 and also offers mini and micro versions for a good price (to brand tack, wife, whatever else)

Last edited:
Zachvu, I don't know how you did it, or why but that is not my quote.
confused.gif

DoubleCK... You actually quoted that statement top of the page. But it didn't work up there because you have two end quote tags [/quote] surrounding it for some reason.

Zachvu quoted your post where you quoted that statement, and it linked it to your post, and stopped quoting the remainder of your post, when it hit the second end quote tag.

All of which makes sense except I don't understand why it included the first one and part of the quote, when realistically it should have stopped at that end quote tag. I'm assuming it had something to do with whatever caused it to do what it did in your post above.

I'm not sure what the irons cost anymore but it works fine on long haired dogs too, just take some clippers and get the hair as short as you can where ya want to do the brand and it would depend on what part of the body as to how long to hold it on there. I do the ears on my leopard curs and they are thicker eared than a hound and I keep it there for 35 seconds and most hounds are about 20-25 seconds. Mike

Sorry about that CK! I just hit the quote button and gave my two cents, never looked at the result until today! I'll see if I can edit it to end confusion!!

Also, paid my brand today with PittsburgFoundry and it was $81 with shipping. I'll let yall know how long it takes to get it out to me!

Back