Smith & Wesson AR?

howling

Are the Smith & Wesson Ar's as good and accurate as the other brand AR's because I'm seeing some amazing cheap prices on this brand and was wondering if the S&W was too good to be true?

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesDon't know and haven't heard much about the S&W's.

Curious as to what kind of amazing cheap prices you have been seeing?

Here's one.

Regards,
hm

my uncle has one, its a very nice rifle. he shoots the heck out of it with cheap wolf ammo and it eats it up. he doesnt shoot much for accuracy, but is been very reliable for him

Wildfire

I bought one two weeks ago, just to have one. Me and my buddy both bought one each. We had them out this past weekend, and I was really impressed with it.

I bought one on sale a couple weeks ago, $749 along with the $100 rebate from S+W. So far I like it, shoots well even with the POS Barska Red dot thing I put on it. Waiting for a stock for it, it came w/ a collapsible one that was pinned in place due to being here in good old communist CT. Seems to like 50gr V-max, once I get it the way I would like we'll shoot it some more.....

Chuck

Got the M&P15T, a bit spendy but nice rigs, just as deadly as the others!!! you wont be disappointed if you go this route.

I got mine(MP15ORC) halfway through the season last year. I threw on a Tasco red dot and ran to the range after an initial quick cleaning. I got a 'good enough' group after a few minutes (With a 4moa(?) dot I figured I couldnt expect too much.) A few days later I managed to put 3 rounds in the south end of this northbound coyote at 70-80-90 yards.I have some better glass for it this year and expect something more than 'good enough'. I will keep you posted.

AR_Yote.jpg

Last edited:
I love mine its been very reliable and never a miss fire I threw a scope on it for yotes but its not as accurate as i would hope for. So i am considering a R-15. I heard when the M&P's first came out Stag was making them but now I heard Smith makes them their selves. Mine is a older one basic model around the 4000 serial number.

I have a range report, but first a question. Let me start by admitting that I am not a rifle hunter. Until a couple years ago rifles were illegal to hunt with around here (shotgun only) so my experience was limited to a few trips deer hunting out of state. To this day it is still difficult for me to wrap my head around shooting out to 100yds and beyond. Frankly around here is is so thick I have never really had the need.... until I started coyote hunting.
Like i said earlier in the thread, with a cheap red dot scope and 5 minutes at the range I had a 'good enough' group of 3-4 inches at 100 yards with my MP15ORC. I figured this was the result of equal parts operator error, poor optics, cheap factory ammo, short bbl(16), new gun, sun in my eyes and lunar eclipse.... you get the idea. This past weekend I put on a better scope Nikon Monarch 1.5-6 and headed to the range with the same cheap factory ammo (Rem UMC 50gr hp)and the best I could do at 100 yards as a 2.5" 10 shot group. All you ever hear anyone talking about are groups of an inch or less, rarely do you ever read about average groups from average shooters, using cheap ammo. So tell me, what should I expect out of my set up? Is 2.5" good? I know it is all I will ever need around here so I am happy anyway.... just curious. Thanks for your feedback

Originally Posted By: MA_bwhntrI have a range report, but first a question. Let me start by admitting that I am not a rifle hunter. Until a couple years ago rifles were illegal to hunt with around here (shotgun only) so my experience was limited to a few trips deer hunting out of state. To this day it is still difficult for me to wrap my head around shooting out to 100yds and beyond. Frankly around here is is so thick I have never really had the need.... until I started coyote hunting.
Like i said earlier in the thread, with a cheap red dot scope and 5 minutes at the range I had a 'good enough' group of 3-4 inches at 100 yards with my MP15ORC. I figured this was the result of equal parts operator error, poor optics, cheap factory ammo, short bbl(16), new gun, sun in my eyes and lunar eclipse.... you get the idea. This past weekend I put on a better scope Nikon Monarch 1.5-6 and headed to the range with the same cheap factory ammo (Rem UMC 50gr hp)and the best I could do at 100 yards as a 2.5" 10 shot group. All you ever hear anyone talking about are groups of an inch or less, rarely do you ever read about average groups from average shooters, using cheap ammo. So tell me, what should I expect out of my set up? Is 2.5" good? I know it is all I will ever need around here so I am happy anyway.... just curious. Thanks for your feedback

2.5 @ 100 is terrible...You need to try different and better ammo....I have had several 16 inch barrel AR's and they have all shot 1 inch or better groups at a 100...I reload though...Get you some 55 or 60 grainers and try them...Good Luck and Happy Hunting...

Chad

Chad: Thanks for your response.
I guess I didnt mean "good". I know its pretty bad particularly when compared the guys on here that shoot handloads, but is it about what I can expect from the set up I described?
This weekend's outing was more or less to get the scope zero'd, I was exactly shooting for groups. The next time I head out I plan to bring a few different boxes of better ammo.
Also I am not a big fan of light triggers and the trigger on my MP was heavy for me... perhaps I should start there. I am open to suggestions.

In my opinion with better factory ammo you should at least get 1 inch group at 100...I hunted with a Smith and Wesson M&P last year and it was a shooter...I had ran out of handloads last year and bought some blue box Black Hills 60 Grain v-max factory loads until I could get some loaded because I dont like ballistic tips and it shot 3/4 inch groups at 100...The rifle was stock except I put a Rock River match trigger in it.......MA bwhntr keep us updated on your groups....Have a good one...

Chad

I had a S&W MP15 PC,it was actually a Sun Devil slick side billet upper and a S&W lower,best shootin AR I've had yet. Problem was I got a offer I couldnt refuse,so it went down the road....

The same rifle mfg under the Sun Devil name broke the 1000 yard record not too long ago.

I sold mine about a year back because I couldn't get it to shoot better than 2.5 - 3 inches @ 100 yds. I tried numerous handload combinations as well as factory loadings with no success. The function however was perfect and never had a stoppage.

Back