Hornady new product: 12 GA Varmint Express® #4 Buckshot

24 pellets seems low? Most 3" 4 buck is 41 pellet count.

Also what is the cost? I saw on there site they want 14.97 per 5???? You can buy dead coyote in a 10 count box for that price.

so they have a more expensive less effective version of whats already available?

this should be made in 3" and about $5 less a box.

nevermind its $14.75 per 10, thats not that bad, id be willing to give it a try.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jeff Vso they have a more expensive less effective version of whats already available?

Have you seen any pattern results or other test data on this somewhere?
I've looked but can't find anything.

I just assumed less effective due to the low pellet count, a little more than half of a normal 3" lead shell.

I guess it doesnt matter how many pellets fly its about how many hit the yote. Im going to buy a box and try it out one I get another tighter choke for my gun (all i have is a modified right now but that might be the trick with that fancy wad).

next weekend I should be able to give it a shot.

Originally Posted By: ADCcoyote24 pellets seems low? Most 3" 4 buck is 41 pellet count.

Also what is the cost? I saw on there site they want 14.97 per 5???? You can buy dead coyote in a 10 count box for that price.

Federal Premium #4 Buck for under $10.00. Got some from Cabelas for $6.99

Originally Posted By: ADCcoyote24 pellets seems low? Most 3" 4 buck is 41 pellet count.

Where are you buying Dead Coyote for $15?

yeah i looked online its between $30-$35 everywhere ive ever seen it for DC. so this is cheaper if it actually works with that low pellet count

The key is that wad. It appears to be a FlightControl knockoff. If it works as well as the FlightControl wad does then this could be a 60+ yd round.

well im buying a box after payday and ill test it out for you guys, if its like the other types of ammo with "special" wads i should use a looser choke, ill run it with a modified and with a standard full out of my mossberg maverick with a 28" barrel.

Good call. I can't find it in stock or available anywhere. Oh well I think I'm gettin LASIK friday so I won't be ready to shoot this weekend anyway. Ill just keep my eye out for it forsale somewhere.

Originally Posted By: CrazyHorse66The key is that wad. It appears to be a FlightControl knockoff. If it works as well as the FlightControl wad does then this could be a 60+ yd round.

Easy now... the use of the word "could" covers a lot of unproven ground. I'm not nearly as big a fan of Flite Control as you are.

Originally Posted By: CaligaterOriginally Posted By: ADCcoyote24 pellets seems low? Most 3" 4 buck is 41 pellet count.

Where are you buying Dead Coyote for $15?

ive seen the hornady at natchess for less,for a lot less than 15.00

Originally Posted By: bobeanojust looked 6.50 per 5rds.unless there something new,and i didnt look at,wright stuff

The site says $14.73 for 10 rds. I have not found it in any stores yet?

My experience in a BP-12 with a Briley .665" tube is 100% in a 40" circle at 40 yards. That being said, the center of pattern density varies by about 16" from shot to shot at the same 40 yards. This is very similar to what I have seen with the flite control wad. If forced to shoot factory loads, this would be about #8 or #9 on my list.
John

Back