tasco japan scopes????

skeetlee

Fellas i found a tasco scope that i think was made in japan. I dont know anything about these but it seems to me someone said they are pretty decent scopes. this it what the gentlemen wrote me in an e-mail( # 702TR, US Patent 3161716, Japan-A-55 8 on the eye piece. ) does this sound like a decent scope. the scope is a 6-18 adjustable objective. what would this scope be worth? also did remington make there 6mm rem in a rem 700 short action? please advise. Thanks Lee

Tasco Japanese scopes are very good. I have 4 of them I got in the mid 70s.
I had a 6-18 rangefinding one on my .220 swift for 30 yrs and never had a problem with it.
The 3 others are 4x and one 3-9x wideviews. There is nothing bad at all I can say about them..
Value is about $20 no matter which one it is though and maybe $30 on the 6-18. Nothing expensive, my original 6-18 was $58 in 1974.
Clarity is tops IMO on all of the ones I have/had.

Lee,

I have a Japan Tasco I bought from a friend up here that is a very good scope. It's an unusual scope in that it is 16-60X with a 56mm Objective. It is a MONSTER, but, the scope hasn't failed, and it's useable below 45x. From 45x to 60x the image gets progressively darker, and is bearly useable at 60x. But, it scares the crap out of competitors in Rimfire Benchrest matches, so it fulfills its mission.
thumbup.gif
I have it mounted on a 22 Target rifle... It's an A/O scope, and focuses down to 50 yards.

Lee, This is an old 8-32x Japanese Tasco, fine target dot, that I have mounted on my old (1940s) Walther .22lr and it's an excellent scope in all factors..It's mounted in Leupold rings and bases..sorry for the scope caps being on...

WaltherSportmodelV-22lr-1.jpg

I guess value is what you are willing to pay for one, or someone else is willing to pay you... but I value this one at about $300+...I know that it's original price wasn't that high, but inflation does have an effect..and IMHO, this is a higher than normal quality scope..

Back 'in the day' Tasco subcontracted out to various suppliers for their optics and some high quality suppliers were providing their wares to Japanese producers that were imported to the U S for Tasco to distribute them..

I had two tasco world class scopes.

If I ever want to buy another, I'll save myself the trouble by burning my money first.

Pieces of crap if you ask me.

Last edited:
As I remember, the World Class Plus scope started life in Japan and when they got the good reviews (yes, Tasco scopes got good reviews at one time), the company moved production to Taiwan and/or the Phillipines, and the quality went downhill. I have one made in Japan and one from the Phillipines. The Japan scope is still in use (I got it as a present in 1985) while the Phillipine scope sits on my gunsafe, never to be placed on a rifle again.

Originally Posted By: skeetleeFellas i found a tasco scope that i think was made in japan. I dont know anything about these but it seems to me someone said they are pretty decent scopes. this it what the gentlemen wrote me in an e-mail( # 702TR, US Patent 3161716, Japan-A-55 8 on the eye piece. ) does this sound like a decent scope. the scope is a 6-18 adjustable objective. what would this scope be worth? also did remington make there 6mm rem in a rem 700 short action? please advise. Thanks Lee

The Japan tascos are fair not as good as Nikon by no means, but you can find them cheap, make sure
is says made in japan.......I bought one 2 mos ago yard sale 6X18 model # 1016 good shape I paid
$40 I think is a good deal, I never found and good ones for $20 or $30..I put this one on a 10-22
the other day that I traded my cousin 2 broke guitars for, it's perfect for that kinda gun.....
If you find them at yard sales in good shape buy 'em you can always sling 'em on something.....
it's hard to beat a $40 scope that works, china don't make any that work for 4 times that price.
I believe I'd rather have an old tasco that a low end bushnell, does that make sence???

Alot of Tasco are good, the scope Martyn talks about was likely made by Hakko of Japan, the same people that made the first Night Forces.Just because they were cheap dont mean the werent good. I have a Mag4 Japan, bought somewhere in the early 90s 5-20x50 that i wont take $200 for, its that good, some are good some are bad, same as Luey,Nikon, etc. ed

Back