22-250 brass

prkrgrp

getting ready to buy my reload equipment, need 22-250 brass for reloading and tips on what to look for in empty brass and where to get it?

First, get one or more reliable reloading manuals. They contain much info that you may not get anywhere else. Study & digest the processes before attempting any reloading. Ask questions of the very knowlegeable people on this Site---they are extremely helpful. And it'll save you time & aggrevation in the long term. Always be safe & conservative in your loading processes.

You'll get many opinions on what brass to buy. Just like Fords, Chevys, Dodges, etc., preferences vary. I suggest that you start out with new brass. As the "where to buy", I just buy brass locally in PA. If you check Natchez, Cabela's, Mid-South, etc., their supplies seem to fluctuate. I have also bought brass from this Site---check it daily.

I personally like Winchester for price and relative value. Yes, I've been around the block with Remington, Norma, Lapua, Federal and Hornady, but overall I get my best consistant results with Winchester. It is very tough brass

Regardless of the brass brand, I suggest that you initially inspect all brass, run them all through a sizing die, and trim them to length. Usually, I discard 1-2% for flaws. I'd suggest keeping at least one flawed/trimmed brass for as exemplary sample used to set your trimmer length.

I don't go through the process of weighing & sorting brass, but that's an option you may consider.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Or check the date and times of the next gun show out at the Expo/auditorium out near Janzen Beach. Never can remember the name of that place, but then again I live at the other end of the state.

"xminerat"s recommendations are very good. If you're going to reload for a 22-250, its probably safe to say you have a rifle and that you've been doing some shooting already, which means you already have some empty cases. You probably won't find used 22-250 brass, so your probably going to have to buy new cases. That's not a problem. If you might be target shooting it might be nice to have one brand of brass for uniformity, For hunting or occassional trips to the range, case brand is certainly not a big issue.

Also don't weigh yourself down with lots of different brands and types of bullets, powders, and primers. Start with one of each and make it work. I currently for example use 50 gr V-Max bullets pushed by Varget and ignited by Winchester Primers. And you don't have to push it hard and at the top velocity, to get accurate rounds with a 250; in fact everything lasts longer if you stay a couple of hundred feet per second down from the Max Load of what ever reloading book you get.

I'd get a Hodgdons magazine style reloading book and one other like a Hornady or Nosler hard bound book, to start with. Then every other year after that buy a new one, by another company, and alternate between those from the powder manufactures and the bullet manufactures. They look at the use from slighty different view points.

I usually go for Winchester products, my last order was for a new 22-250. Out of 200 cases over 125 needed the primer pocket reamed out, I have never experienced this with any new case's from Winchester. I went to www.grafs.com and ordered some Lapua in 22-250 best price you will find and one of the few places available NOW. It is a premium product and it will serve you well.
Jim

LAPUA. LAPUA is now making 22-250 brass. If you want the best brass with minimal case prep. Then LAPUA is your brass. Pretty simple. Tom.

+1 for Lapua

Picture533.jpg

Lapua is the best and lasts the longest. My experiences in my 22-250 have proven Winchester has the shortest reloading life. And BTW both Bruno's and Powder Valley Inc have 22-50 brass and it sells for $58.00 per 100 which is cheaper than any other place around (no offense to the Graf & Sons recommendation).

I have found Norma brass to be just as good as Lapua. Some lots of one or the other may be better but on average they are pretty much equally good.

Jack

Originally Posted By: Bigdog2Or check the date and times of the next gun show out at the Expo/auditorium out near Janzen Beach. Never can remember the name of that place, but then again I live at the other end of the state.

"xminerat"s recommendations are very good. If you're going to reload for a 22-250, its probably safe to say you have a rifle and that you've been doing some shooting already, which means you already have some empty cases. You probably won't find used 22-250 brass, so your probably going to have to buy new cases. That's not a problem. If you might be target shooting it might be nice to have one brand of brass for uniformity, For hunting or occassional trips to the range, case brand is certainly not a big issue.

Also don't weigh yourself down with lots of different brands and types of bullets, powders, and primers. Start with one of each and make it work. I currently for example use 50 gr V-Max bullets pushed by Varget and ignited by Winchester Primers. And you don't have to push it hard and at the top velocity, to get accurate rounds with a 250; in fact everything lasts longer if you stay a couple of hundred feet per second down from the Max Load of what ever reloading book you get.

I'd get a Hodgdons magazine style reloading book and one other like a Hornady or Nosler hard bound book, to start with. Then every other year after that buy a new one, by another company, and alternate between those from the powder manufactures and the bullet manufactures. They look at the use from slighty different view points. this 22-250 v max really smaks em down at about 3600 fps i like it

Back