Carlson Dead Coyote Choke -v- Primos Dead Dog Choke tube

southwestwalkers

Looking to pick up a long distance choke to reach out to some yotes 40-50 yards. Just wondering if any one has patterned either one of these and what's the better deal.

I have a 835 Mossburg 12 guage with the stock choke on it now and I've sent plenty of yotes to the promise land. I'm figuring with one these I should be able to reach out a bit further.

thanks for any info... Robb

p.s Carlson claims out to 70 yards ...lol

i dunno if you could even find a 10 gauge pattern that was good to 70 yards so carlson is full of it.

id look thru the shotgun patterns sticky at the top of the firearms forum and see for yourself the patterns both make. Im almost positive ive seen pictures from both you mentioned in the mossberg too.

I have the carlson dead coyote tube in my rem 11/87 at 50 yrds it will throw 20-22 T sized pellets onto a 9" plate.

I have shot coyores to 60 yrds effectly with this dead coyote, 4buck patterns well to with this choke tube.

Last edited:
I think a lot depends on the gun. I have two Remingtons with D/C chokes in them. First is a 1100 that I had the barrel cut to 21" and threaded for for the win choke systeam. It it a 60 yards gun shooting like the one ADCcoyote has. The other is a 870 it is more like a 45 yard gun with the same loads. Xo all you can do it shoot some, and see how it does.

See that is what worries me. I'm gonna spend $ on a choke that doesn't do much better in my gun than a cheaper one. I just bought the gobble stopper for $22 with the tru glow sights so hopefully that works out. The only reason I got it was cause it wasn't much more than the fiberoptic sights themselves and I really wanted a set of those. We will see how it shoots soon.

I have both for an 870 and both do pretty good out to about 47 yards for me. That`s with #4 Buck. I have a KICK`S that patterns pretty good out to 53 yards.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jeff VSee that is what worries me. I'm gonna spend $ on a choke that doesn't do much better in my gun than a cheaper one. I just bought the gobble stopper for $22 with the tru glow sights so hopefully that works out. The only reason I got it was cause it wasn't much more than the fiberoptic sights themselves and I really wanted a set of those. We will see how it shoots soon.

That is exactly why I advocate buying a quality choke from a custom maker instead of a bubble wrap mass produced choke off the shelf of a chain store. Buy the bubble wrap mass produced choke and your choice of constrictions is limited and you probably can’t return it once it is used. The better custom chokes cost more money, however they will exchange choke constrictions with you until you are satisfied with the results. Companies like Kick's, Indian Creek, and Pure Gold are first class about their customer service and are interested in your results and making you happy. You might end up with $70 in your choke, but you have a quality unit that you perfectly matched to your bore size and load choice. That beats a drawer full of $25 - $35 chokes that didn’t work out.

Back