Shotgun Barrel length?

Wackmaster

I am looking at getting a new shotgun and wondered how much difference barrel lenght makes. It will be mainly a dedicated coyote gun chambered in 3". 24", 26" or 28" are my options and it is going to be a Benelli Vinci.

24 without a doubt Less weight and the choke is not effected by length. you will lose a little velocity, but a coyote cant tell the difference

Dave

Originally Posted By: Mousedipper24 without a doubt Less weight and the choke is not effected by length. you will lose a little velocity, but a coyote cant tell the difference

Dave

Given your stated choices I would have to agree with the above.

Regards,

Chizzy

You'll loose a little bit of efficiency all the way around with the short barrel, but most important is the loss of sight plain. However, coyotes are right much bigger than a dove, quail, rabbit, skeet (other things an all purpose shotgun may encounter). The 24" will be handier in thick cover & much easier to carry. My sporting clays gun has 32" barrels but my dedicated predator shotgun has a 23". Hope you see what I'm getting at here...

How much velocity will be lost with a 24" vs a 28"? I am leaning toward the 24" for easy of carry and swing in thick cover, but how much will it "cost"?

Originally Posted By: WackmasterHow much velocity will be lost with a 24" vs a 28"? I am leaning toward the 24" for easy of carry and swing in thick cover, but how much will it "cost"?

Not enough to notice.

Well it is done, I just ordered it. Should have it at the end of next week. Any Benelli or after market choke recomendations? I will start with #4 buck and probably try some Dead coyote. Any others shells that need looking at?

The Federal coyote load is only 2 3/4 right? I will try the 3" shells first. I have patterned an 870 remington and a 935 mossberg. I didn't notice a lot of improvement using the Carlson chokes. They did slightly better in the 870 but not as well in the 935 shooting dead coyote T. I settled on 3" #4 buck in the 870 and 3.5" #4 buck in the 935 both Winchester loads. In those particular guns #4 buck out preformed DC T as far as pattern density.

Originally Posted By: WackmasterWell it is done, I just ordered it. Should have it at the end of next week. Any Benelli or after market choke recomendations? I will start with #4 buck and probably try some Dead coyote. Any others shells that need looking at?

Is your Benelli Crio or Mobile chokes?

I went with the 24" and it comes with the Crio. I think it comes with a set of 5 chokes. Will hopefully have it by next Friday.

Using shotgun powder, huh? Has anybody ever chroney'ed shot loads, because I have a hard time believing there's still powder burning in a 28" barrel when the same powder is getting high velocity out of my 6" revolver.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't sound very logical.
confused.gif

I night hunt with an el cheapo Stoeger M2000 3" with a 24" barrel with factory chokes and lead 4 buck to 1 buck, depending on what I can get. I am thinking about trying the Carlson's dead coyote choke but haven't yet. I shoot a 28" Winchester 3" pump with a Pattern Master at geese and love it, keeps the patterns tight enough for my abilities.
I really like the pattern master and if they wern't so expensive I'd probably run one on my coyote shotgun too.
Les Johnson likes em...

Last edited:
I have 2 benellis 1 with the 26 and 1 with the 24 inch barrels and I like the 24" the best. A 24" benelli is the same overall length as a 26" over and under because of the action length.

Originally Posted By: Evil_LurkerUsing shotgun powder, huh? Has anybody ever chroney'ed shot loads, because I have a hard time believing there's still powder burning in a 28" barrel when the same powder is getting high velocity out of my 6" revolver.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't sound very logical.
confused.gif

From everything I have gathered at shotgun world barrel length makes no difference as long as its atleast 18 inches long. I guess it used to make a difference back in the day with old powders but not now.

24" is a good length for a coyote whacker i think. Its more of a point and shoot then a smooth swing. I myself like 26" BBL but the gun has to be double duty as coyote buster, clay targets, upland hunting. If it was just coyote 24".

i Run with a 28" barrel because its my waterfowl, upland, clay busting, and yote gun. I dont ever feel like my buddy has more of an advantage with his 22" turkey gun when he is hunting with me.

Its all about being comfortable with your gun and shooting a lot of rounds at a lot of moving targets with your specific gun. when you are busting almost every clay, hitting the bouncing rabbit clays 90% of the time and getting tight patterns with the same gun, barrel length isnt really going to be a factor.

Last edited:
I'll take a 24" over a 28" (or longer) for a calling gun.

The main thing I like about the shorter barrel (the advantage) is that it is just much, much *handier* in calling situations/conditions. World of difference (to me anyway).

Back