Savage Edge vs. Stevens 200

cathntr

Im in the market for a new coyote rifle for this coming winter and dont want to spend a whole lot on one. Im considering either the Savage Edge or Stevens 200 both in .223 I have owned the Stevens before and it was a great gun, just thought I would try and get some opinions on which way I should go now that Savage has a new entry level rifle on the market. I have yet to hold the Edge but to me the new stock design looks kinda funky. Does it feel weird in the hand? ALso what are some advantages one has over the other if any? The one definate advantage i see, is that the edge has a detachable box mag where the Stevens has a blind mag. Makes for easier and safer unloading in my opinion with the detachable. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Josh

If the goal is the best bang for the buck, the Edge is the ticket. If you want to upgrade it later and build a better rifle over time, the Stevens is your answer. The Edge is about $100 less than the 200, comes with DBM, nicer recoil pad (not that it matters in 223), and has some type of coating vs. the bluing on the 200. It just seems like the Edge is just all better for less cash.

I own the Edge and like it. The trigger is a bit heavy but doesn't grind. Either gun will get you the most important thing in hunting.......accuracy. The Edge having the dbm made it a no brainer for me. The Edge is new, but the latest figures I had seen showed 32,000 shipped out in 2 months so I would imagine at that pace you will have plenty of choices in the future for upgrades as companys will almost surely tap into what looks like a big market.

Originally Posted By: cathntrIm in the market for a new coyote rifle for this coming winter and dont want to spend a whole lot on one. Im considering either the Savage Edge or Stevens 200 both in .223 I have owned the Stevens before and it was a great gun, just thought I would try and get some opinions on which way I should go now that Savage has a new entry level rifle on the market. I have yet to hold the Edge but to me the new stock design looks kinda funky. Does it feel weird in the hand? ALso what are some advantages one has over the other if any? The one definate advantage i see, is that the edge has a detachable box mag where the Stevens has a blind mag. Makes for easier and safer unloading in my opinion with the detachable. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Josh

The grip of the Edge stock, IMO, feels smaller in diameter than the Stevens. It shoulders well and is as light if not lighter. While the Edge has the DBM, the Stevens has a 3 position safety that allows for the action to be worked and disables the trigger.

I posted in another forum that it appears, (according to Sportsman's Warehouse) Savage is phasing out the Stevens due to the release and popularity of the Edge. RifleBasix already has a reworked SAV-1 trigger for the Edge.

Good luck making a decision. Do what I do...buy both.
smile.gif

I would get the stevens because it has such a long track record of accuracy and value. I would give the edge some time to prove itself.

I gotta recomend a tikka t-3 its only about 250 more but its got a great trigger, decent stock, a real tack driver. I love mine.

Not trying to "Hack" anyones post. But what is the main diff between the Stevens and the Edge? I have two Stevens but only pics of the Edge. Seems like apples to apples to me. What am I missing? What does the Edge do that the Stevens won't? Both seem to be accurate out of the box, both have cheeze dick stocks, both have lousey triggers, both are made be Savage. Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like a duck, must be a Savage.

The only difference I can see between the two is the stock and detachable magazine. I guess the barrell on the edge is matte instead of blue also but the Stevens is a dull bluing not the shiny stuff so that dont bother me. Anyhow I made up my mind and my dealer picked me up a Stevens in .223 today. Will be picking it up myself tomorrow. Thanks, Josh

The Edge is a new action design entirely. It has a top strap like the Tikka T3 since it doesn't require feeding from the top. This makes an appreciably stiffer action.

It also has a recoil lug integral to the stock, not the action. It is easier to hold a tight tolerance in steel than plastic, so this translates to a tighter tolerance for the recoil lug to work in, translating (theoretically) to increased accuracy.

It takes a DBM instead of the 200's internal box mag. It has a horrible trigger that is easily made very good, unlike the 200's adjustable, very good out of the box trigger.

shot one Tuesday in .243 only had one box of rem. 100gr core-lokt to start break in, with last 3 just over 1" at 100yds trigger heavy but no creep or drag just heavy, breaking in for a friend, going to find some dies and try some nbt's

yes i did a search and i think its was gunblast.com did a field test of the rifle and gave some pics of it,it shows the nut,im getting one in 2 weeks in 22-250

I have the edge in 22-250 and like it its 100.00 bucks cheaper and just as accurate at the stevens maybe more save the money and buy a good scope you wont be sorry.

I've been eyeballing a used 200 stevens for ~$200 in 223 local, but considered buying an Edge new. I have a heavy barrel 223 20" AR-15 and a 308 Savage 12FVSS in Choate varmint stock but no bolt action centerfires other than the 308. Good comparisons!

Back