Hunting bullet ? for .264 Win Mag.

DAB

Just want to get some opinions on which hunting bullet you have found to give you the best accuracy in a 264 Win Mag.

Do not want info on factory loaded ammo.

Info on Premium or plain old lead jacketed bullets of 120 gr. and 140 gr. wanted. Bullets suitable for Mule Deer.

Please do not get into a pissing match about which kills the best.

Just the most accurate bullet for hunting mule deer

I use the Hornady 6.5mm 140Gr SP Interlock bullets now and am satisfied with their performance as far as ability to kill deer, but for me they lack in the accuracy department 1" at 100 yds. Want to see if I can get a HUNTING bullet that will give me 1/2" groups at 100 Yds.

I will be retired here as of 6-30-2010 and need something to piddle with before Deer season this year.

DAB

Last edited:
129g Hornady Sp is hard to beat. I shot a load at 3150 fps, that was just like dropping a bomb on deer. I always got complete penetration, no matter what the angle and massive damage to the internal organs. I was shooting Close to max load(for my gun) of IMR 4831 with a Rem 9 1/2 primer bullet seated .005 off the lands. First trip to the range with my Model 70 and with the 129's and IMR 4831, and I had half inch groups.

Copper fouling was MUCH less with the 129's vs the 140's in my rifle...that is an understatement.

it is pretty hard to beat the old boring Sierra boat tail 140 grain Game King.

The Sierra's are not the fancy-trendy-expensive bullets like the Barnes-or whatever. But I can shoot about 125-150 Sierras for the price of about 50 of the fancy bullets.

I have never seen those expensive bullets out shoot a Sierra yet. They shoot well, but not better.

I do not think a deer could be anymore dead from a fancy bullet at 3200fps or a Sierra at 3200 fps.

Just an opinion. Tom.

140g SST would get the first go round if I had one. Cheap, great BC, accurate, good dependable LR bullet. Second bullet would probly be either the 140g amax or VLD, third would be the 130g AB. I dont believe or think its neccesary to use bonded or premium bullets to kill deer. My all time favorite deer bullet is still the NBT, its just the SST's are basically the same thing with better BC's and they are cheaper and shoot just as good. They are usually a bit more picky to work up a good load though in my experience. On top of all that, they make heavier for caliber weights in SST's then NBT's and thats another reason I shoot them.

Keep impact velocity between 3K and 1700-1800fps and these bullets should work out great for you. Try to stay off the shoulder inside 100 yards, but after that, its fair game.

Hey if you need something to do I can send my 06 over for you to work a load up with some sierra 150gr game kings! Save me the work haha rp

ohhh and quit wasting your time with that old pre 64 .264 win just give it to me I will be more then happy to take it off your hands it does not seet that good anyway!

ohh and here are a few signs for you to use
AM8501G.jpg

Retired-Warning.jpg

ohh when Can Joyce and I move back home hahaha
scared.gif

Back