Is the Remington Model 700 VTR, any good?

Paws_N_Claws

I have been thinking about picking up a Remington Model 700 VTR in a 22-250. Do you guys like them? Are they pretty accurate? I they pretty durible? I'll take any input on them!
Thanks in advance,
Luke

If it shoot anything near my 700 SPS,,, You should be really happy with it...

The new barrel design should reduce the weight a little without losing much of the rigidity and the built in muzzle brake will reduce perceived recoil/muzzle flip.

I haven't seen many, if any, range reports on them and if you get on, will be interested in your comments...

One if the friends I hunt with had one and sold it. I don't think his issue was accuracy, it was just too loud for him.

Shot great but hurt after the shot. I normally shoot 20" 25 WSSM and it is nowhere near as load as the vtr. Hated the vtr only cuse of the noise. Savage predator in 22-250 shot better, felt better, and does not blow your ear drums out.

I just posted my results today at the Range.
I have the Rem. 243 SPS heavy . I was so excited at the accuracy at 100 yds. All one inch bulls.
At 200 yrd.. not any different... This SPS is well worth the money. 243 ammo is cheep. Im going to the range tomorrow for the 300 yd test. So far, Its a Keeper.

I have one in 308 and it is loud, very loud. I for one wear ear protection even when hunting so thats not an issue for me. this rifle took over 100 rounds to not copper out real fast. also the stock is a little flimmsy so I filled the webs with marine tex and bedded the action, I also removed the presser points at the end of the barrel. it now shoots very well.(you know one hole groups all day if I do my part even on windy days.)All kidding aside with the federal premium 168 grain seirras it is a real shooter and it will be with me a long time.
now who knows how to duplacate the federial premiums so it dont cost me $2.00 bucks per round to pull the trigger.
Sportingly
Cracker

I have one in .223 and it very accurate. It is loud but I also always wear hearing protection so it doesn't matter much to me.

for the price i would go with the Rem SPS varmint in 22-250 ! better yet get the 223 in the SPS much less $$ than the VTR,,,!!!

Quote:
for the price i would go with the Rem SPS varmint in 22-250 ! better yet get the 223 in the SPS much less $$ than the VTR,,,!!!

I will second you on that. I have the Remington 700 SPS Varmint in 223rem. Shoots real good groups with factory loads. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

The triangular barrel is a marketing ploy. If there was some advantage to it you would have seen it in benchrest competitions years before it hit the market as a hunting rifle. Its Remington trying to cash in on the TACTI-COOL crowd.

I have one, I've only shot 65 rounds through it. It Is accurate. The stock could have been better. I wear hearing protection- ALWAYS. I like it, I'm lucky to shoot it but every few weeks.

I have a 700sps. 22-250 you could sum it up as a "Rock `N` Rolla". Tad on the heavy side though. all around tough gun.

Last edited:
I have a SPS700 in .243 that's a solid shooter, also lots of bullet choices so it's kind of a multi use gun, and it's fun to shoot without a lot of noise and recoil. But like any thing else (you pays your money and takes your choice)

I picked one up in 22-250 a few weeks ago. I went in planning on getting a 17 fireball but they were all out and this was also one that I was interested in. I have about 100 rounds through her so far and have been very pleased with it's accuracy out to 300 yds with my reloads thus far. I don't have bench grouping info out that far yet but it put the smack down on a ground hog from 304 yds. Grouping at 100 yds was 3/4" or better. Yes the downfall is the noise. Made the mistake of taking two quick shots on hogs without my ears on and had quite a ringing going on for a few hours, and I know better. I had to return to work today for another month offshore but upon my return I will be stretching her legs and see how she performs at long range and how far I can reach out with confidence.

Theres a "sort of" report on one under varmint hunting 1st page,,"my new varmint rifle" by virginian..............X

Back