at least one brave teacher left

Javelina Hunter

Got this email today at my web site. thought I would share it. I'm glad to see at least one public school teacher is'nt politically corect. magine teaching/protraying hunting in a favorable light- in public school

Qoute:
I am a third grade teacher and we will be reading The Three Little Javelinas by Susan Lowell. I was wanting the students to do research on comparing and contrasting the javelina to the pig, the wolf, and the coyote. I want them to pretend they are going on a hunt for javelinas and they have to know the difference between the animals. Have you ever video taped a hunt? I would like to purchase a video. Do you have anything about 15-30 minutes long and that gives information about the javelina and shows a hunt?

I also wanted to make up a fake hunting permit for hunting a javelina. Do you have any old permits you could mail to us, so the kids to see a real permit?

Do you know of any info (books) on javelinas that is about 3rd grade level?

Do you have any pieces of skin from a javelina? (gross, but the students would love it)

I would appreciate any help you can give us. Thanks.
Evonn, Scottsbluff Public Schools Unquote

My answer to her was:

Evonn,

What a fabulous and novel idea. Discussing hunting and animal identification with children...Maybe even learning about hunting permits and how the money spent on licenses and permits goes for habit improvement, research, endangered & non game animal reintroduction, etc.

I would be happy to send you our J-13 Javelina call, Javelina Hunting & calling tips booklet, Arizona hunting regulations, old Javelina
permit, old hunting license, and a Javelina hunting video.

I don't have any Javelina hide at this time (mine are mounted on the wall). Check with Arizona hunting guide Pat Feldt, at www.arizonahunting.
net He’s good people, and may be able to help you.

You should preview the hunting video to identify any parts that may be to graphic for children who have not been exposed to the realities of life & death before.

I would caution you to be prepared for outright contempt, scorn, and possibly acts of retribution by the liberal faculty that populates most schools, when you portray or discus hunting & hunters as anything other than evil spirited bambi killers & drunken slobs with confederate
flag tattoos. You may place your standing or employment in jeopardy. Be strong and be careful.

Thanks in advance for teaching the children.

Just send me your mailing address and I'll send you the package next week, my gift to you.

AP Jones, owner
XXXXXX.com
XXXXXX.com

I admire this woman's guts, but I too must caution against teaching anything that is not in the school board's curriculum. I happen to be a high school teacher of 15 years, and I have used nature, animals, hunting, fishing, etc. as material many, many times. But you need to understand that in doing so I walk a thin line. I am directed by law to teach what the curriculum contains, albeit it sometimes is a little cloudy, which I use to my advantage. But the school board dictates what I teach, and they reflect the mores and values of the community who elected them. Therefore, I must be very careful, as must all public school teachers. We are the first to be blamed for out of control kids, poor education, and a lot of the problems the youth of our society cause. Most of the time, parents who look to blame the school systems for their kids' problems with the law and education, are looking for a scapegoat because they are pi$$poor parents, but don't want to take the blame. We are an easy target.

Please excuse the ranting. This woman sounds great, I just hope she realizes the fallout that may occur. And if people object, it's not just holding her ground. It's a lot harder than that. I've been through it and while it sounds noble to stand up for what you believe, and it is if you really believe it, are you ready to give up everything for it? Is this hill worth dying for? I really believe that few people really have strong enough convictions to risk losing everything for a principle. Damn few. I'd like to think I do, we all would. But how many things do you have, rights, liberties, etc. that you would be willing to lose it all over a belief? Even end up in prison if it came to that? It's a soul-searching question, one that most of us never have to answer. Thank God there were and are still some who can say yes.

Back