Looking for help, what am I doing wrong?

slab

Hey everyone. Got a question.
First, a little background. I started trying to call coyotes years ago. I took my deer rifle and a fawn bleat call, went to the backside of our property, and hammered away on it until I had a coyote slip in the backdoor before I knew what had happened. I've never been able to reproduce the results of that day, but I'm still trying.
Now for the question: What am I doing wrong? I always camo up (to include face mask and gloves), watch the wind, get in as much cover as I can, use a call of whatever animal's are in the area, hunt where there's alot of sign, and even started using a decoy, and trying night hunting. I don't know if my technique is just bad or bad luck. Any advice or techniques would be appreciated.

Slab, there could be a number of different variables. From hunting downwind, maybe getting into a lot of cover is limiting your visibility to see. , try and keep a natural barrier behind you as much as possible if you can.

I appreciate the tip, John. Just out of curiousity, How long do you call for on an average set-up, and what do you look for when you're setting up?

I have been using mouth calls a lot more when I use mouth/hand calls I like to start out with a squeaker or blow with a normal breath.I have been calling with mouth calls for 2 breaths and wait and watch for a couple. Then repeat for two more breaths repeat.I think when I first started using mouth calls I found myself focusing on how I sounded and not paying attention on my surroundings. Heck I probably called some in and not even no it.I try to stay on a stand 25-40 minutes depending on my view. That`s just me.

Awesome thread, GC. I appreciate it. I have a feeling I'm going to spend a lot of time looking at that one. Since we're talking about it, and I'm kinda at my wits end with this (although it's not going to keep me out of the woods), what call would you recommend? I saw a couple of deer still in spots, and several rabbits, so I have a few options.

You can get calls from the guys here at about the same price of the store bought calls. Check out the calls that have been posted in the call section. Some guys on here have there own line of calls. Probably don`t matter that it has to be a fawn distress.Or you can always check out APC and see what they have. That is a good thread. I wouldn`t be suprised if some of the guys go back and check it out once in a while. I do.

slab, welcome to coyote hunting in the east..The best bit of advice I can offer is to learn about coyotes. calling technique is good, but it doesnt do jack if a coyote doesn't hear your call. There is a ton of land out there between coyotes and it takes a bit more than luck to cross paths with them cosistently. Getting within ear shot of a coyote undetected can be a real task made easier if you know where they are before you start the set.

Thanks for the welcome Swampwalker, and the advice. That is a good point. The place I just started hunting does have alot of sign (tracks and scat everywhere), but how far do they range? And, after doing some studying last night, I realized I may not be ringing the right dinner bell for this time of year. Has anybody ever had any luck with a bird distress call?

You can find how far they range by doing a little research on biology reports in your area. Their range will vary depending upon available territory, existing coyote population density, prey densities, human encroachment, ect. In my neck of the woods they’ll run about a 3-5 mile home range.

Regarding bird sounds, absolutely throw some bird sounds in your calling vocabulary. If you hunt in a populated area with a lot of hunting pressure and everybody and their brother is blowing the local box store mass produced rabbit squealer then sometimes a different sound is exactly what you need to spark a response from a call shy educated coyote.

Awesome. Thanks GC. Only question I've got on that is how to make a bird distress call. Know of anywhere good I can listen to one so I can learn how to imitate it?

Pa Coyotes are very hard to get in.I'm a Advid fox caller Killing many of reds and greys and only called a handful of coyotes that I could ID

slab, welcome! I'm in Purry County. The master woodsman coyote is a tough guy and will play only by his rules. When you nail one post photos and brag like crazy, because you will have earned it.

Originally Posted By: justshootslab, welcome! I'm in Purry County. The master woodsman coyote is a tough guy and will play only by his rules. When you nail one post photos and brag like crazy, because you will have earned it.

thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: justshootslab, welcome! I'm in Purry County. The master woodsman coyote is a tough guy and will play only by his rules. When you nail one post photos and brag like crazy, because you will have earned it.
I appreciate the welcome, and don't worry. I'm almost to the point where if I hit one with my truck, it'll be a kodak moment. I just got into a lease in Potter county, and it's got coyote sign all over it. Just still trying to figure out the in's and out's of talkin' to 'em. It's definitely a challenge (but definitely a good way to be out hunting during the off-season)

You should be aware, coyotes spend the vast majority of their time on the down-wind side. "Down-wind" as in hilly terrain or any other structure that offers them a wind brake & a view. Whether they are bedded/resting or on the hunt. As even when they are bedded, most often. They are listening, scanning their down-wind & crosswind areas. Pay carefull attention to the down-wind areas.

Even in a perfect World, you happen to walk into a calling area from their down-wind. Et sometimes, their crosswind[if they happen to be facing that way. You stand a good chance of being seen.

Their hearing is quite impressive at picking up slight sounds from long range. Even hearing faint distant noises from loud background ambiant noises. Walk slow, softly & quietly while useing cover to get to your stand area.

Only time, I've got close stalking in on them. Was on very soft quiet ground cover with high winds & useing hilly terrain. To assist in buffering my walk-in noise & hide my carcass from their view.

Something I noticed about your post. You talked about sounds of animals that are founded in that area. Forget that theory. I have killed a ton of predators here in the Mid Atlantic with various Jack rabbit sounds. It is all about the emotion, agony and how pathetic you make it sound. If you want to stay with mouthcalls, which I don't blame you a bit, and you want bird sounds, order a Burnham Bros B-1 from www.allpredatorcalls.com. Just blow it and flutter your tongue and you will have a great bird sound. I also recommend their S-2 and S-4 calls, they are about $4 and are great as bird sounds, can be used as a coaxer also, hands free. I change the reeds in them to something a little more durable, such as the plastic from a heavy sandwich baggie or something. I use more bird sounds for Red Fox and/or bobcats and coons- not so much for coyotes.

Give yourself as much visibility as possible downwind->Good luck!

Back