Ruger GP100 .357

druupy

I've had a GP100 for a few years and I'm wanting to play around with it a bit. I'd like to put either a scope or red dot sight on it.
I do a lot of hiking and have a few spots I want to try for predators while fishing etc this summer. I dont want to carry my long guns with me and thought the pistol would be a nice compromise.

I've been looking at both Weigand mounts and B squared mounts. Both of these companies have a mount GP100. Does anyone have a recomendation on either of these bases?

Also I'm looking for advice on either a scope or red dot sight. I haven't bought one for a handgun before. I dont want to break the bank but I want something reliable.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

no advice on the bases for ya... my desert eagle, ruger redhawks and blackhawks have their own direct ring mount systems...

for scopes, though... i used to think a scope was a route to handgun happiness, so i stuck one on a 480 (nikon monarch 2x) and spent about 18 months getting used to it. always seemed to be something that just didn't feel right about it, but took it hunting, anyway. killed a couple deer w/ it.

shortly after that i picked up a desert eagle in 50 ae and the issue sights were so horribly off (~250 yard zero) that i either had to get new sights, or some sort of optic. local gun shop had some red dots in stock they couldn't unload, so they offered me a killer deal on one. i decided to take a nikon red dot. spent some time learning the optic, then went out and started killing stuff.

i mention all that so you know i have actually used both systems. far and away, i prefer the red dots. much, much more user friendly, even if they do require a battery. the scopes really upset the balance of the handgun, are difficult to hold steady, difficult to holster, heavy, and ultra-critical on eye relief...

when you go to get your red dot, make sure you get one w/ a large tube. the small tube versions will probably just frustrate you. they're not useless, but they don't belong on a hunting handgun, either.

...and, if you practice enough w/ your issue sights, you may be surprised how well you can hit. i have an unscoped 41 rem mag that i can easily dust prairie dogs off out to 125 yards.

good luck!

I would like to add do not buy a cheap red dot with parallax. Aimpoints
and the like have none. If the dot is on the target the gun is on the target.
Not so with the cheapy's. The dot has to be centered in the scope.

I can't help with the mount either but I sure like the Millet Red Dots. I have 3 of them. They are around $ 80. One had been on a 357 for 3 years with no issues.

If you want to step up in price check out the Doctor Optic Red Dot sight. They are around $ 400 but I have had mine for 10 trouble free years. They add little to no weight to the gun and automatically adjust for light conditions. In 10 years I have changed the cr2032 battery twice. I use it on a Ruger Mark 3 and regularly hit shotgun shells at 40 yards. There is no parallax.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Back