Ashcroft sends gun laws to supreme court

ninehorses

My Dad said that Thurs. night he heard on Fox news that John Ashcroft is trying to repeal several of our gun laws by sending them to the supreme court because he thinks their unconstutional. Charles Shumer and his liberal buddies are up in arms! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Did anybody hear or see this report? I haven't had time to do any research, been hunting. (got skunked)

Not exactly. Emerson is appealing his case, Ashcroft's man told the SC that since this administration believes the 2nd to be an individual right, they didn't want the SC to hear the case. We have a thread on this in the Clubhouse forum, take a look.

Just so it's here, ninehorses emailed me this..so here it is. We'll see what the outcome is.

Wednesday, May 08, 2002

WASHINGTON — A footnote in a Supreme Court filing written by the Bush administration's top lawyer marks a full reversal of the government's 40-year-old policy on gun ownership and lends weight to the interpretation that the Second Amendment guarantees individuals the right to bear arms.

"The current position of the United States ... is that the Second Amendment more broadly protects the rights of individuals, including persons who are not members of any militia or engaged in active military service or training, to possess and bear their own firearms," Solicitor General Theodore Olson wrote in two court filings this week.

That right, however, is "subject to reasonable restrictions designed to prevent possession by unfit persons or to restrict the possession of types of firearms that are particularly suited to criminal misuse."

Olson, the administration's top Supreme Court litigator, wrote the footnote as part of the government's filings in two cases that are up for consideration by the Supreme Court. The first case involves an appeal by a man who was charged with carrying a gun while also subject to a restraining order filed by his wife.

AP
Attorney General John Ashcroft
In that case, the Second Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the Second Amendment does guarantee rights to individual ownership, but "limited, narrowly tailored specific exceptions" can be made, for instance, denial of gun ownership rights to individuals bearing restraining orders.

Olson's briefing to the high court urged it not to take the case, leaving the Circuit Court's ruling intact.

The filing comes six months after Attorney General John Ashcroft praised the appeals court's decision.

"In my view, the (Circuit Court) opinion, and the balance it strikes, generally reflect the correct understanding of the Second Amendment," Ashcroft told prosecutors last November.

In a second case involving a man convicted of owning two machine guns in violation of federal law, Olson made the same notation. In that case, the government also won a lower court decision endorsing a federal gun control law.

The change in policy is an extension of views expressed by Ashcroft in a letter to the National Rifle Association last year.

In it, the attorney general said that the Second Amendment confers the right to "keep and bear arms" to private citizens, and not merely to the "well-regulated militia" mentioned in the amendment's text and used by gun control advocates to argue that the Second Amendment only refers to individual gun ownership when the individual is a member of the military or police forces.

"While some have argued that the Second Amendment guarantees only a 'collective' right of the states to maintain militias, I believe the amendment's plain meaning and original intent prove otherwise," Ashcroft wrote.

Critics, who earlier accused Ashcroft of kowtowing to the NRA and of undermining federal prosecutors, are infuriated by the solicitor general's latest filing.

"This action is proof positive that the worst fears about Attorney General Ashcroft have come true — his extreme ideology on guns has now become government policy," said Michael D. Barnes, president of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, which promotes gun control.

The Supreme Court has not ruled on a Second Amendment case since 1939. In that case, the court ruled that the Second Amendment protects those with "some reasonable relationship to the preservation of efficiency of a well regulated militia."

The cases are Emerson v. United States, 01-8780 and Haney v. United States, 01-8272.

As you can see from the text, Ashcroft didn't "send it to the Supreme Court". He agreed with the appelate courts ruling.

Emmerson's appeal is what sent it to the USSC.

I think it would have been far better if Olson had informed the court that while this administration agrees with the appellate ruling on the 2nd and was not contesting it, this is a subject of great controversy and as such is of great import to all American citizens, and ask the court to hear the case and rule.

The basis for this request being that if these are indeed individual rights, it is entirely inappropriate for them to be at risk to the personal belief of whomever happens to win any given election. That's no better than living in a 3rd world tin-horn dictatorship.

People on the other side continually, and wrongrly, reference the Miller diecision as clearly stating the 2nd protects the rights of state militias to be armed, when even a cursory reading of that decision will show that it does not. They manage to inject the word "state" where it did not exist.

The decision made reference to weapons needing to relevance to militia service to be protected. These people see the word "militia" and immediately that means "state militia" to them. Somehow, they fail to look up the definition, or even the published statements of the Bill of Rights authors regarding what they meant.

O.K., My first post was before I'd had a chance to read the text. Thanks Bob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif for putting it up for me. (I'm still learning these computers) Still isn't this good news? Better than when Billery was in the Whitehouse with their buddy Janet Reno. Liberals are talking as if their world was comming to an end, as if ALL gun laws would soon be unconstutional. I'm tired of us always being on defence, its nice to hear the liberals in panic for a change. Stu, I agree with you, but isn't this a small step in the right direction?

Yes, it's somewhat good news. If for no other reason than to watch the other side have fits of screaming apoplexy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

When you boil down what Olson told the court, it comes down to this:

While the Bush administration does believe that the 2nd is an individual right, it also holds that existing federal gun control laws are constitutional and will defend them. A notion that I savagely disagree with.

Now we have to wait and see if either case is chosen for hearing.

Back