Sports Afield Magazine going TU

Encore

Outdoor magazine Sports Afield announced that it will cease publication this spring, falling victim to one of the worst advertising recessions in years. The magazine will end its 115-year run with its June 2002, issue.

Sorry to hear they are going away. I think they started their downward spiral when they drifted into a mountain bike tree hugging magazine a few years ago. They came back to their senses but it was too late. I think there are alot more hunters, shooters, and fisher people willing to buy their magazine than in the bike & kayak crowd.

I'm surprised they're still around at all. I cancelled my subscription, aftwer MANY years, when they became a yuppie crap-rag, and I wrote them and told them why. They never responded.

I later heard that they went back to something like the original format, but I don't think I've ever laid eyes on one, not even on a news stand, and was not about to subscribe again after getting screwed the first time around.

This is a needless loss, but they chose to screw the pooch to start with. The responsibility rests with their management, period.

I received my June issue of Sports Afield today. I will be sorry to see it go. I did like everyone else and cancelled my subscription when the tree-huggers had a hold on it. Then I happened to pick one up on a newstand and saw that it had been purchased by Robert Petersen (of Petersen's Hunting and Guns and Ammo). I actually like the magazine better now than before it went bad. But I don't guess enough sportsmen rediscovered it.

Back