Night hunting in the south questions...

ztc

I hunt and live in north Ga and most of my hunting is done during the early and late daylight hours. Most of my hunting is in small fields (3-4acres)and in wooded areas small trails and old road beds. Im wanting to do some night hunting but know nothing about it. How should i go about it? Do i just scan the field with the light the whole time or just if every few min? In Ga theres no restrictions on lights for coyotes. Like i said i know just about nothing on night hunting so all the help i can get! Thanks

I keep the light on the whole time. Once you see eyes keep the light on them. Try to use the halo of the light until you are ready to shoot them put the full beam on it. Be sure to POSITIVELY IDENTIFY your target before shooting and have fun

Originally Posted By: jlutcher51I keep the light on the whole time. Once you see eyes keep the light on them. Try to use the halo of the light until you are ready to shoot them put the full beam on it. Be sure to POSITIVELY IDENTIFY your target before shooting and have fun

Exactly...

Do I need to use a colored lens? Do I need to watch casting shadows? Like I said there small fields with tree's and bushes all around it?

I don't use a lens but a lot. Of people do. You always want to keep the light from shining on you, your gun, or your hunting partner. If you have the light in there eyes it kind of blinds them to were they can not see behind the light. If there is a moon when you go try to stay in the shadows of the trees this will further aid in concealing your movement

I leave my headlight on full time and only use red. The red does not light up the trees and brush hardly at all, but lights up eyes like the 4th of July. Think of it as a low tech X Ray looking through the woods straight into the eyes of the critter. White light will light up the woods and jack up your ability to see through at all.

Once I have a target on the way, I wait until the last moment to light it up with my gun light (white light) to positively identify it.

One more thing- high power white and woods are a no no. It creates to many moving shadows. Can make critters a little schitso "..I swear honey, the trees were reaching out for me..."

Just my opinion, but what do I know...........

I have the ND5 Lazer and have heard good things about this light. I've only used it once so far (too hot) but plan to put it to work some when it cools down a little.

Back