Democrats - What a Piece of Work

Stu Farish

Director / Webmaster
Staff member
Original at:

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewPolitics.asp?Page=Politicsarchive200204POL20020419b.html

Who cares WHO owns the camera? Waxman and his anti-gun buds can't stand the idea that voters might find out what gets said. I REALLY don't want these commitees having hearings in secret:

Democrat Tries to Boot TV Cameraman From House Hearing
By Jeff Johnson
CNSNews.com Congressional Bureau Chief
April 19, 2002

Capitol Hill (CNSNews.com) - California Democratic Congresssman Henry Waxman tried unsuccessfully Thursday to have an accredited TV news photographer thrown out of a House subcommittee hearing. The hearing focused on whether to limit liability lawsuits against gun makers and Waxman, who favors gun control, insisted the cameraman was videotaping on behalf of the National Rifle Association.

The House Subcommittee on Commerce, Trade, and Consumer Protection was hearing testimony on the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act (H.R. 2037), a bill designed to stop lawsuits against the gun industry for actions taken by criminals using their products, when Waxman challenged the presence of the television camera.

"Under the rules, the only cameras that are permitted at a hearing are from accredited representatives of the press. I understand that the camera that is now filming this hearing is owned and controlled by the National Rifle Association," Waxman (D-Calif.) charged.

"If I'm correct and this camera [man] is not an accredited member of the press, I'd make a point of order that the camera should not be permitted to film the hearing," he added.

Subcommittee Chairman Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) recognized the camera operator as someone who regularly videotapes hearings on Capitol Hill.

"We'll be glad to show you his credentials," Stearns offered Waxman after some discussion.

The cameraman, a freelance video journalist accredited by the U.S. Senate and House of Representatives News Galleries, presented his gallery identification card to Stearns, who read the information to the subcommittee.

But that did not satisfy Rep. Edolphus Towns (D-N.Y.) the ranking Democrat on the subcommittee.

"That's not the question. The question is: This camera, is this the National Rifle Association's camera? That's the question rather than the credentials," Towns argued. "What identification you have in your pocket, that's another issue."

Stearns disagreed.

"The identification in his pocket shows that he's accredited press and, I think, as such that he's entitled to record," Stearns ruled.

But Towns and Waxman continued their challenge.

"No. I have a driver's license that says 'New York State' in my pocket but I'm not here representing New York State. I'm here as a member of the United States Congress," Towns continued. "So, the fact that he can pull something out of his pocket doesn't satisfy me.

"The question I have, which I want answered ... is whether or not he's filming for the National Rifle Association. That is the real question here."

"May we ask of the gentleman who is filming, for whom he is working today?" Waxman asked Stearns.

Stearns jokingly said that if Waxman wanted to overrule the decision, he was "welcome to try."

"You're welcome to appeal," Stearns declared seriously. "But, we want to get on to the witnesses, so I think that, under the circumstances, my position would be that he's shown his credentials and we accept them and we'll continue."

Waxman withdrew his objection, with a caveat.

"If this man has been hired by the National Rifle Association, just as anybody hired from the Democratic Party shouldn't be allowed to come in here and film, I don't think we ought to allow this, and I think the rules don't permit it," Waxman alleged.

Rep. Diana DeGette (D-Colo.) echoed Waxman's complaint.

"I don't think any outside groups should be in here filming," DeGette said. "I'm deeply offended by it."

But the three Democrats' assertions that House rules prohibit recording by individuals other than accredited news media were incorrect.

"Under the rules of the committee, the chairman has 'full and complete discretion to allow any cameras into the hearing room,' whether those cameras are credentialed or not," Stearns said, after receiving a report from his staff. "So, rest assured, that the cameras are completely allowed under committee rules."

The video journalist, who asked that he not be identified, told CNSNews.com that he was working for a Washington-based contracting agency that routinely provides camera crews to television networks and stations from around the country.

He added that the equipment he was using was personally owned, and not the property of the National Rifle Association.

A member of the House Radio-TV Gallery staff also told CNSNews.com that the chairman of a committee or subcommittee has the absolute authority over allowing recordings by groups or individuals other than accredited media. The gallery staff member, who also did not wish to be identified, said it was "inappropriate" for members of the subcommittee to challenge the camera operator during the hearing, in front of spectators.

The video journalist completed his recording of the hearing, with no further challenges.

It's a wonder that the camera didn't break after having a look at that ##@$#@$@ waxman. Who the heck elects these idiots anyway? MI VHNTR

Back