Annual groundhog tally for 2010

Picked off #13 yesterday in a sink hole where I got one a few days ago. I've been after this one for a couple of weeks now. Really elusive. He saw mw coming and bolted in his hole. I set up about 100 yards away and just waited. He came up, stuck his nose out, and layed his chin on the edge of his hole nose facing up wind after about an hour's wait. I watched him through the scope for a few minutes hoping he'd come up a bit more - I didn't have much to shoot at. He didn't so I put the cross hairs right at dirt level or maybe a 1/4" below that (the rifle is sighted 3/4" high at 100 yards), took the shot, and he lost his mind.

Walking back toward the house I came over a rise and saw one about 20 yards ahead of me. I had the rifle over one shoulder, chair hanging over the other. One of those situations - He looked at me, I looked at him, and he bolted for his hole.

I saw another one along the far end of the freshly mowed hay field I went to next. It was about 266 yards out (measured after the fact with the rangefinder) moving, and was in view for only a few seconds. I kept the glasses going back to that area for the next half hour but didn't see it or any others. Then it started to sprinkle so I headed for the truck.

Its raining off and on all day today, but it's supposed to be sunny tomorrow and the next day. I'll head out and set up in the corner so I can sight along that edge of the field and up along the edge where i was sitting when I saw him. That will give me a much better view of that area and still let me cover at least half the field with a safe shooting backstop.

I have company coming for most of next two weeks which means I'll miss the prime time on the hay field after it's baled.

I keep looking for a farmer with bean fields to hunt. I know a guy that does custom harvesting - I'll ask him next time I see him.

Fitch

Nailed #51-53 this evening. #52 was apprx. 210 yards (paced off)w/ no rest cept' my knee [22/250]...this chuck has been spotted 2 times previously and two 400 yard stalks were for nought.

Went back to the old Cronbaugh place and nailed the big daddy of the 6-for-6 bunch behind the barn with a 25 yard shot through branches/leaves in a mulberry tree (it was my best option)...he died with beans in his mouth and was very well fed. Maybe that's the last of them for the farmer, hope so.

Last edited:
Went groundhog hunting this afternoon and killed three with the little Browning 17 Ackley Hornet. Came home and my neighbor called me up yelling "coyote-coyote, get your gun, come on!" So I grabbed the Browning BAR Carbine in 243 with the Firefly 1.5x6 Bushnell and took off. Got over there, no coyote, but there was another groundhog sitting out there staring at me at about 100yds, blistered him, to make it four for the day.

Total now is 36

For New or Younger Groundhog Hunters:

I wanted to note that my recent 6 for 6 night at the Old Cronbaugh Place was a reflection of tactics that have worked well over the years..those are:

If a momma GH and young are in the field, ALWAYS shoot the momma first!

Don't worry as to getting a second shot also at the young ones but DO watch where the young ones exit to as that will spot will be the later entrance point also.

Set up at a concealment 30-40 yards from that entrance point, and the young ones will typically soon be back out from that point (if they haven't been eating for a long time prior to their mother's demise).

Shoot the young ones as soon as you see them re-enter the field, one-by-one.

IF luck is with you, this will happen one at a time i.e. the subsequent 2nd young one is still in the hole when you shoot the first young one and will not hear the shot, same goes for shooting the 3rd and later 4th young ones and so on. DON"T let all the young ones come into view and then start shooting, some/most will flee and they WON'T likely be back out that night.

If you do shoot a momma and 4-5 young ones and see no more young ones that night, remember, there is still a daddy GH there,too, especially if the den is located in/under an old building.

So, wait a night or two later and return. (I returned to The Old Cronbaugh Place two nights later at 8;00 PM and killed the big daddy with the shot through that mulberry tree...eating just where his wife/kids also expired. So, that made it 7 for 7 and a clean sweep. The farmer told me this AM he re-planted his eaten beans with hopes of growth to maturity)

Remember, these old boar GHs are somewhat eccentric, sometimes one comes out later than the momma and young, and you may have to come back more than once to get the job done. I try to set up at 1/2 half hour before the anticipated appearance time based on past sightings.

Hope these tips make for some of YOUR hunting memories.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BuckeyeSpecial

If you do shoot a momma and 4-5 young ones and see no more young ones that night, remember, there is still a daddy GH there,too, especially if the den is located in/under an old building.

Male groundhogs seperate from the female and leave the den before the young are born. As is the case for the vast majority of mammals, the male does not have a role in the rearing of the young. Birds (avians) on the other hand will often share rearing duties and in some cases mate or pair up for life. Odds are the male you shot was looking to inhabit the hole who's residents you had recently "evicted".

Saturday was not a very good day for me as far as killing groundhogs goes, but I did see 7 and killed 2. I missed the first with the 243 at 56yds off the shooting sticks. All I could see was his head over the rise, so I tried it and shot left. shortly after the shot another came out across the field at 160yds and started across the field running in 5 and 10yd stretches. I finally timed him on one of his pauses and bang flopped him at 191 yds, but I hit a little low left. I moved to another fresh cut field with bales in it and spotted 2 pups out feeding by the hole at 210yds. I picked one dialed him up and shot left making him flip and dive for the hole. I started to notice all shots were left, so I added some windage to offset and walked on. I spot another pig in a rock outcrop at 293yds. I setup on him and the mirage was terrible. I shot and saw the hit on the rock low left, and watched him slide off the rock into the hole beneath. On my way up to investigate the impact I see a pup in the grass next to the rock. I setup at 90 yds and aimed on the right side of him and smack him on the left side. The 70 Nosler Ballistic tip spread him out pretty good, so no picture taken of that one. I continued on toward the truck and spot one withing 75yds of the truck. I used a round bale for cover and got to 138 yds and rested the 243 on top of the bale. I aimed at his head while he was pointing right, and hit left of his tail. Needless to say the 243 needs a range session this week. Who knows, I might have to finally clean it,
blushing.gif
PICT0178.jpg

It got a little warm in the sun.
PICT0173.jpg

Up to 39 total now. I was out the other evening in an area where a farmer was begging me to kill a coyote. I had taken two rifles. The Browning BAR 243(for coyotes) and the 17 Ackley Hornet. I had a groundhog come out that was actually out of range for the BAR, considering the scope on it. SO---I picked up the little 17 Ackley Hornet to handle the shot that was to far for the 243(believe that). I know my confidience is way to high in that little 17 AH now that I am pulling stunts like that. But, it worked and I am sure I would not have made the shot with the 243.

2.5hrs
.223 Rem
17 shots
15 Kills
3 Work related calls and a 20min BS session with a farmer and his wife.

All in all a pretty good night.

94 kills for the year.

Last edited:
Woodchuchuntr:

My experience in old barns, under chicken coops, etc. is that the male groundhog is often still on the premises, in the original den or another den in the same building.

I would be interested in reading the zoological reference you have indicating they move out...often has been the opposite in my experience hunting near buildings with a litter of groundhogs present.

Recently I witnessed what I thought to be a male going from one den to another several times. The groundhog went back and forth between 2 holes about 65yds apart until a Nosler hit it
tongue_smilie.gif
. Unfortunately, it was a 340yds off center hit and I didn't get to examine it to determine gender. I figured it was probably a male trying to visit the female and getting run off to the bachelor den
blush.gif
. Been there, done that
sneaky2.gif
. Most of the ones I catch way off the hole or walking a good bit tend to be male. The females tend to hang tight to the hole and so do the pups.

I don't believe my post said the male nursed or helped rear the young...I said the male remained in the very near vicinty and hunters are well served to continue hunting the same area after dispatching a female and young.

I have killed large males in at least 5 locations this season alone where I dispatched females and/or females with young [3 x in barns,and 2x within 20 yards of original bean field mother/young kill].

Done this on numerous occasions in past seasons; sometimes the male shows the same day, the next day, the next week. The male den is very often nearby.

On the same afternoon on Memorial Day weekend several years ago, I was killing groundhogs denned under my cousin's 12'x12' chicken brooder coop...a mature male, mature female, and several little munchers...there wasn't much room under that 12' x 12'coop for more than one den. But, even if there was, the big male was under there too and coming out to eat from the same exact spot like the rest.

Thus my tip for hunting tactics especially around buildings, perhaps a bit less so in the bean fields.

I killed near 20 groundhogs coming out from that coop over two seasons.

[From] The U. Of M. zoology article you linked, with full context restored, does appear to support my experience:

Behavior
Woodchucks are the most solitary marmots although several individuals may share a single den. Woodchucks are usually highly agonistic
Woodchucks are not monogamous and males do not take part in raising the offspring. There is some evidence that woodchucks associate in groups which are dominated by a single adult male, discouraging other males from mating with his females.

Last edited:
I can believe your observation; that where conditions dictate males and females with offspring will reside close to one another ie. buildings. I very seldom hunt GH's around building so I cannot qualify your How-To in that regard based on my personal experience. I can say however (based on my experience) that if I were to wait for a male to appear from a field hole that I had recently shot the females and young out of I would not be nearly as successful as I am.

I can honestly say that that of the 695 woodchucks I've killed in 2008, 2009 & as of 6-24-2010 and the 405 I killed from 2002(when I started keeping records)-2007 that I don't recall an instance where I shot a male from the same hole as a female rearing young. I have killed a male and female in the same hole as recently as a couple weeks ago but she was not nursing and those occasions are pretty rare for me. I feel that your How-To was a little misleading because of my experience and my impression that the type of GH hunting conditions that many of the members on this and other sites experience is more along the lines of the type of area (fields) I hunt.

Jeremey

You need to re-read the U of M study; it is not the male necessarily coming from the SAME hole but also coming from a hole in close proximity.

For shooters trying to control crop predation or buildings, the idea is to re-visit the same site later to dispatch the male and/or other females i.e. to make a clean sweep.

Its a different style of hunting them; as opposed to "targets of opportunity" it is "targets of specificity".

And, it does not allow for high kill figures but indeed quality kills for the farmer-landowners.

Ironically, the conditions per my post(s) are typical for here in NW Ohio, and your conditions of shooting 20 a night or 200 a year, or similar numbers in Virginia,just don't happen around here unless perhaps once a lifetime. Groundhogs don't concentrate in those kind of numbers in one field around here where one could find 20 targets an evening or in a week. Finding 5-6 in a field (that has any) is more typical in NW Ohio.

So, your post is actually the misleading one....next time send a study that contradicts me instead of supporting me; I will be the FIRST to say a study contradicting me allowed me to learn something new.

I'm off the tally board thing as its not really about the numbers, but strategies and tactics to present a 'how-to' for other hunters to achieve [similar]success. [Pruson: establish a groundhog tactics/how to as a permanent thread]

P.S. Killed another big male and big female with baby groundhogs last night from a hay field corner where it was all one den network.

Last edited:
Killed two more tonight for a total of 45 now. On this date last year I had killed 103. A little slow this year huh? The 17 Ackley Hornet is still the main battery with it's 20 gr V-Max smoking along at around 3900-3950fps, they just slump over and cease all movement.

I'm at 109 after tonight.

They say the pipes leak in a plumbers house. Well I spent part of the day trying to smoke a woodchuck out of a hole it's dug at the edge of the my yard & pasture so I could shoot it with a handgun when it came out. Go figure, I'm out shooting chucks over the hill while ones digging a hole in my yard.

BTW-My little smoke-out failed, the little b@stards still kicking, if it was even in there.

Went out today, first farm I went to they have finally cut the wheat and were there planting the beans, hope it will be good in a couple weeks. Went to another farm and when I pulled up in a fresh cut alfala field saw a pup which I took at 142 yards. About 20 min went by and took another pup at 158 yards, then I took a female about 20 min later at 147 yards. Went to another field where the beans are about 3 inches tall seen one at the other end of the field, moved over and set up I ranged a hay bale behind it 388 yards, it was in front of that so I guessed it at 375 yards adjusted scope and took the shot. I shot a little right so chambered another one. By this time it turned its back to me and was starting to leave so took another shot which connected. By the time I got to the other end of the field it was gone I trailed the blood and found it just past the hay bail. So I finished it off with my Kimber 45. Sorry this is so long just pumped this is my longest shot to date not to bad for shooting of a bipod with no sandbag under the stock. I was useing my Rem 700 BDL 223rem with 55gr Hornday v-max ammo.
grin.gif
This make 9 so far this year.

Back