Ohio CCW...A win for you folks

Bob/SoCal

Here ya go..hot off the press, as far as I know.

Fox News

In case it goes away..here's the text

Wednesday, April 10, 2002

CINCINNATI — A state appeals court on Wednesday declared Ohio's decades-old ban on carrying concealed weapons unconstitutional because it violates the right to self defense.

The framers of the Ohio constitution "put the citizens' rights up front," said Mark Painter, presiding judge of the 1st Ohio District Court of Appeals. "We believe they meant what they said."

An appeal is likely.

Lawyers for Cincinnati, Hamilton County and the state had argued that government has the right to regulate the manner in which weapons are carried.

The appeals court upheld Hamilton County Common Pleas Judge Robert Ruehlman's Jan. 10 ruling that the state ban was unenforceable in the county. The ban includes both carrying a concealed weapon and having a loaded weapon in a vehicle.

Ohio allows only law enforcement officials and state and federal government officers to carry concealed weapons.

Five people challenging the law, including a private investigator, say their jobs take them into areas where they need self defense. Their attorneys also argued that conflicting enforcement by different police agencies makes it difficult for people to know how to exercise their constitutional right to self defense.

They said Cincinnati police have arrested people for carrying concealed weapons, and city officers have testified they probably would arrest someone who tried to openly carry a weapon.

A State Highway Patrol officer testified that the patrol has caught motorists carrying loaded guns and let them go.

Forty-three states allow concealed weapons in some form.

On the surface this sounds pretty good for us. But the decision is clouded by so much confusion and so many attempts to "fix the problem" that we don't know what to do. This ruling only affects one county in Ohio (Hamilton County in the southwest corner of the state) and each of the cities in this county have their own separate rulings.

This past week there have been conflicting news reports on TV and radio every day about this ruling and nobody seems to have a handle on it. Believe me, the anti's are working feverishly night and day to "fix the problem". Law enforcement officials seem to be totally confused by the whole mess.

Racial unrest in Cincinnati and all the threats of The New Black Panthers and the Black United Front is making this situation even worse. In my opinion we need to arm ourselves and make ready for the inevitable race war. I wish it wasn't so but I'm sure it's coming.

Back