45 grain bullets in a 22-250

I'm not too familiar with the 45's but I thought the 22-250 was pretty much originally developed around a 40gr bullet. That is why most have a 1-14 twist barrel.

I could be wrong.

I shoot the 45 grain Winchester JHP's out of my 700. Cant help you with the powder measurements, but they shoot really good out of my gun.

Sweatybetty;

The Sierra 40 gr. HP is a very accurate and super-effective varmint bullet in the 22/250; they don't cost a whole lot either if you shop around (sorry, i don't have the Sierra # handy).

I have shot these for years in my 1 x 12 twist Douglas barrel, and Federal used to load them in their Premium ammo line (10 years ago on the federal factory ammo ago so may wanna' check that...).

But, I reload and shoot these Sierras with 34-35 grains of IMR 4064 and also with AA 2230 [can't remember powder quantity I used on the AA 2230...]. Start at the bottom and work up in your rifle as all rifles are different!!!

Sweatty,

I use 52 Sierra 52 gr HPBT's & 53 Gr Sierra MK's being pushed by 34.9 gr of RE15. I get extremely good accuracy out of my Ruger M77 22-250. I've tried several powders and none match the consistency in accuracy and group size which is under 1/2" for a three shot group EASILY! Looking in the Sierra manual under 45 gr SPT bullets, there is a long list of powders available. For RE15, starting is 34.0 and Max load is 36.7. And BTW, I've tested loading to SAMMI spec and also loaded with .002 into the lands in MY 22-250. Believe it or not, SAMMI spec produce a tighter group despite the fact I have an .080 jump. Hope that helps.

I tried the WW 45gr factory ammo out of a Rem 700 and a 788 and both rifles shot terrible groups with it.

52gr Sierras shot very well out of both.

Last edited:
I shot a bunch of coyotes with the Sierra 45g Sp, very accurate. You don't get a lot of pass throughs, which is why I stopped shooting them...I like to see large exits.

Coyotes never ran much with a good hit, and I was using a hot load of H380.

Good luck

Back