Sarah Brady News ! may have skirted Delaware state background-check

d2admin

Administrator
Sarah Brady skirted gun laws in buying son's rifle

New York Daily News
March 22, 2002 08:15:00

WASHINGTON - Gun-control advocate Sarah Brady bought her son a powerful rifle for Christmas in 2000 - and may have skirted Delaware state background-check requirements, the New York Daily News has learned.

Brady reveals in a new memoir that she bought James Brady Jr. a Remington .30-06, complete with scope and safety lock, at a Lewes, Del., gun shop.

"I can't describe how I felt when I picked up that rifle, loaded it into my little car and drove home," she writes. "It seemed so incredibly strange: Sarah Brady, of all people, packing heat."

Brady became a household name as a crusader for stricter gun-control laws after her husband, James, then the White House press secretary, was seriously wounded in a 1981 assassination attempt on then-President Ronald Reagan.

Brady writes in "A Good Fight" that the unnamed gun shop ran federal Brady Law and Delaware state background checks with great fanfare.

The book suggests that she did not have her son checked, as required by Delaware state law.

"(W)hen the owner called in the checks, it seemed to me he spoke unnecessarily loudly, repeating and spelling my name over and over on the phone," Brady writes.

Amy Stillwell, a spokeswoman for The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, said the federal Brady Law does not require background checks for intrafamily gun gifts.

Stillwell said she did not know whether her son was checked under the state law. The Delaware Department of Justice says the state does not have an exemption for family gifts.

"Scott is not a convicted felon, and he is not prohibited from owning a gun," Stillwell said. "Scott Brady could walk into a store and buy a - he is not a prohibited purchaser."

Delaware Justice Department spokeswoman Lori Sitler said the purchase could be illegal under state law if Brady did not also say who she was buying the gun for and submit his "name, rank and serial number" for a full check.

"You can't purchase a gun for someone else," Sitler said yesterday. "That would be a 'straw purchase.' You've got a problem right there."

Anti-gun control advocates were surprised to hear of Brady's foray into their world.

"We hope that it's innocuous and there's been no laws violated," said James Jay Baker, chief lobbyist for the National Rifle Association. "It's obviously interesting that Sarah would be purchasing firearms of any kind for anybody, given her championing of restrictive guns laws for everyone."

---

Under federal law, such a straw purchase is a felony. One which Brady herself has pushed for additional laws on top of what we already have.

Anyone know what it is under DE law, felony or misdemeanor?

I am sooooooooo sick of these people...

------------------
"When They turn the pages of history,
When these days have passed long ago.

Will they read about us in sorrow,
for the seeds that we let grow?" - RUSH, "A Farewell To Kings"

Wonder what she was thinking whe she checked that little box about not being a straw buyer?

With all the inequities between the ruling elite and us does it really surprise anyone that she would seemingly see herself above the law?

Wait and see IF she gets prosecuted; Not too likely.
frown.gif
She's a Two-faced liar! MI VHNTR

I agree. It's unlikely that she's be prosecuted for it. Unlike what she wants for the rest of us.

How long until the cancer does her in, anyway?

------------------

Maybe.

One guy I work with has expressed his wishes that it takes quite a while.

Being that this was a state, not federal violation, if anything will be done it's up to the state of DE to enforce their laws.

Any bets?

------------------

I guess the big question would be , how does DE handle this situation with Joe Public?Is it legal to purchase for your children? Is her son an adult? How do they handle wives buying for their husbands?

If ,in fact, it is a crime,and the majority of the same type of cases, Joe Public burns then she should too.

OH BTW..it has been mentioned that this may be an Urban legend since it hasn't been reported anywhere else, or, it may be a non-issue let's afford the Dragon the same we would hope ours would recieve.

The NRA saw fit to comment on it:

SARAH`S SHOCKING DISCLOSURE

Sarah Brady, Chair of the gun-ban lobby formerly known as HCI, may be in a little trouble with the law. And the reason why is quite surprising. According to the March 22 issue of the Daily News (N.Y.), Brady may have violated the type of gun-control law she and her organization regularly advocate. In her soon-to-be released book, "A Good Fight," the gun-ban advocate reveals that in 2000, she bought a hunting rifle at a Delaware gun shop for her son, who was 18 at the time. And while Brady carefully describes her experience, and the fact that the store clerk ran the required background check on her, there is no mention of the store also running a background check on her son -- a requirement under Delaware state law.
Amy Stillwell, a spokeswoman for the gun-ban lobby that now carries Brady`s name, explained to the Daily News that federal law does not require a background check on the son for this type of gift purchase, which is true. However, Delaware Justice Department spokeswoman Lori Sitler indicated that if Brady did not disclose the rifle was a gift for someone else, providing information for a background check on the recipient, then the purchase may have violated Delaware law. Sitler was quoted as saying, "You can`t purchase a gun for someone else. That would be a straw purchase.` You`ve got a problem right there."
This controversy highlights one interesting point. The fact is that there are already so many laws on the books that regulate firearms that even the nation`s foremost advocate of passing more laws may not be able to keep track of what is already on the books. NRA-ILA Executive Director James Jay Baker commented, "We hope that it`s innocuous and there`s been no laws violated."
Some, no doubt, will be shocked to learn of the firearm purchase by someone like Sarah Brady. NRA-ILA`s Baker observed, "It`s obviously interesting that Sarah would be purchasing firearms of any kind for anybody, given her championing of restrictive guns laws for everyone." Considering that she and her organization regularly claim that "the safest thing [to do] is not to keep a gun in the home," one wonders whether her son follows his mother`s advice? Or maybe he simply follows long-established firearm safety and storage practices that keep responsible gun owners and their families perfectly safe when they keep firearms in their homes. And there are also the Brady warnings about "children" and firearms. These gun-ban lobbyists regularly include individuals as old as 19 (and sometimes older) in their statistics for "children."
There is likely more to come of this story, which we will certainly follow.

Back