Physicsally Disciplining Working Dogs

podunkcowboy

Do you guys physically discipline your dogs? If so how and when? I was raised that some hard headed dogs require you to get their attention sometimes. By no means do I advocate beating a dog in a harmful fashion just a sharp swat or something similar. Im getting flamed by a bunch of bird dog hunters on another forum, what do yall think on the matter?

I believe each dog is different as you said, and each needs a different amount of "roughness". If i can "set up" or catch a dog doing something i don't approve, i'll get as rough as the situation needs. But for instance, if i come home to a chewed up couch, the time to displine is past and i won't do anything. As for the bird dog forum, most don't approve of being physical with dogs. I don't know why but thats what i've learned.

Ok, I will jump in on this one. I will smack a dog for something it knows not to do or to get it's attention if it is ignoring me. Even the little foo foo rescue dogs get a swat once in a while. I popped a little pomeranian I had here last week for jumping up and eating food the kids left on my kitchen table. They need to understand that some things are off limits.

Real simple, some dogs, just like some people, need a "boot in the a$$" from time to time.
The how and when is tough to answer, depends on the dog.

I agree that each dog is different, as well as each situation. The time for corrective action is immediate, when needed. I don't beat my dogs, but I darn sure will twist an ear or more often, push them down on the ground by the neck, just as a dominate dog or pack leader would. A dog that knows who the boss or pack leader is, will go above and beyond to please them.

Tony

Originally Posted By: Duane@ssuReal simple, some dogs, just like some people, need a "boot in the a$$" from time to time.
The how and when is tough to answer, depends on the dog.

I agree! It's a good thing I got mine when I needed it or...who knows what I wouldn't be.
blushing.gif
Seems the same for a horse or a dog. Without discipline there is little value in any. Of course the timing, intensity and technique are critical.

The shock collar deal is new to me. It may replace some physical discipline. However, as Duane and I discussed some time back, establishing pack order has to be done directly.

Originally Posted By: TonyTebbeI agree that each dog is different, as well as each situation. The time for corrective action is immediate, when needed. I don't beat my dogs, but I darn sure will twist an ear or more often, push them down on the ground by the neck, just as a dominate dog or pack leader would. A dog that knows who the boss or pack leader is, will go above and beyond to please them.

Tony

good answer tony, as far as different dogs go terriers in general are the most independent dogs iv'e been around. they are little dogs trapped in a big dogs body
scared.gif
i do the same roll them on there backs and growl in there face. i also start on them at a young age on undiserable game like livestock, anywhere from a scold to a sharp crack on the a$$ with a lead.

Originally Posted By: Duane@ssuReal simple, some dogs, just like some people, need a "boot in the a$$" from time to time.
The how and when is tough to answer, depends on the dog. I agree with duane my 6yr old setter is my bird dog, my kidds play buddie, my wifes walking partner and wen im not at work she is in my truck great for the most part. but wen they need a little they need a little. i bet the bird hunters giveing you a hard time dont give two thoughts about pressing that button on ther remote control

I bust my bird dog if he needs it, plain and simple.

When they are young you don't really need to bust them, a loud stern NO will get it done most of the time. But as they get older sometimes a boot is what they need if you can catch them that is.

Well, I've found that getting physical with my dogs works when it's applied correctly. Example: Spud has begun to bail out of the truck when it's parked and he sees something he wants to investigate.
This evening I loaded the dogs in the truck and put the tailgate up. Purdy stands in the box, Spud gets on the tool box. Didn't clip them in. Just told them to "stay" while I unloaded some items from my wife's car and took them into the house. Didn't want the dogs under foot at the time. Next thing I knew, Spud races into the house ahead of me.
I put the items down, called him back out to the truck. He wanted to load, but the tailgate was up. I grabbed him by the nape of his neck and his hips and threw him back into the box with a modicum of force over the tailgate. He looked [beeep] surprised and was again told "stay". He did after that.
I decide when he gets out.
Before the tailgate ever comes down, my dogs have to sit and then stay when it comes down. There is no unloading without an "okay" command. It's for their safety.
Purdy got the same treatment when she was about Spuds age. She won't unload without a command.
And I, too, will dominate/discipline either dog when necessary by holding them down by the neck and shaking a bit. They always get up with an "I'm sorry" look, head down, tail wagging and wanting to lick my hand.
I don't beat my dogs, but they sure better mind. I'm just like most of you guys

Last edited:
we tried hard despline tonight s o b wouldnt hunt stayed at our feet and then they went to the truck over half a mile the A team is either cut up or in heat or rasin pups. B team, well we have no more b team after that stunt got five empty chains now think im fixing to put hound or realy heavy hound blood on um

Thanks fellas, I didnt think I was alone on that one. I was really starting to wonder if modern dog men are all weinies. Ive noticed that bulldogs are the ones that need the most reminding of how to act. In the woods a disobedient dog can get you or other dogs injured so I believe you should show them that with as duane so eloquently put it " a boot in the a$$".

I had an incident last weekend when I took Tug out, so I made him run about 2-3 miles. It pretty much changed his attitude. I am gonna take my GSP with me so he can work the field and Tug can watch and then I will let him join in.

The training continues on.....

gonzaga

Physical dicipline. Unfortunately there is not a cut and dry answer for all situations. It all depends on the dog and the situation as well as your definition of physical dicipline. Personally when diciplining a dog I never like to raise my hand to a dog. Raising your hand to a dog can make them hand shy. I would need more specific information on the particular problem before I could offer my solution to correcting it. Reward, electronic stimulus, play training, force training (my least favorite method), are all valuble training aids under the right circumstances. Using my hands to administer dicipline is always my last resort and almost a never used option, it degrades trust and trust IMO, is a key element of any training. First and foremost the dog has to have the natural instinct to perfom the task at hand and instinct is the direct result of proper breeding. You can't beat instinct into a dog! Second, all dogs are different and as stated by others many times not all dogs respond to the same methods of training and correction IS a form of training. More info required before I would be able to offer more than the above advice/opinion. Sorry this wasn't a whole lot of help. Don't have all the answers just know what has worked for me.

Last edited:
I would also agree that it all depends on the dog.....So many times I here dog "trainers" say that you can't train a soft dog using an electric collar for corrections and you can only train hard headed dogs with an electric collar.....I have found over the years that the opposite is often true......

I can turn an electric collar down to a low level and correct a soft dog without ever laying a hand on them and will get great responses to the pressure.

I have on the other hand seen some pretty strong dogs that even if you turned the collar all the way up you couldn't make as much of an impression on them as simple putting your hands on them a bit and talking a little hard to them.....

It has a lot to do with how the dog reads and interprets your body language..... The soft dog gets a mild correction from the electric collar and not much emotion from you, the trainer and isn't that upset.....the hard dog on the other hand gets a big shock and doesn't get upset because there isn't much emotion from the trainer and he kind of blows it off where as if you put your hands on him a little and talk ugly to him he picks up more on your anger and you have done a better job at getting his attention...

The soft dog you want a correction without rocking the boat much so use a collar and no emotion....the hard dog you really need to rock the boat to get a good response so use a more physical type punishment and more emotion.......

Just my opinion.....

Brian

Brian, the problem with collars is that not everyone knows how to use one properly. They can be a very helpful training aid in the right hands and a total disaster in the wrong ones. Tri-Tronics puts out a two part video on Training Pointing Dogs. It is narrated and demonstrated by George Hickox. I highly recommend it to anyone that uses or is considering using an electric collar. The training method can be applied to any type of dog even though the application may be different.

Before my days of shock collars I was known to resort to all sorts of ways to get my message across. A good crack of a lead, a boot to the rear, a chunk of wood flying thru the air, etc etc. The lead was generally used for dog behaving badly while on the lead. The other methods applied for various resaons such as treeing off game or running deer. To tell the truth I've been rather lucky. Most of the dogs I've had were pretty easy to break and got the message rather quick. I can't recall ever having to get very harsh with a dog.

Since shock collars about the only time I have to get physical is when teaching a dog to lead. No more chasing em down if they run deer, no more thumping or throwing sticks when they tree a opposum (actually, anymore I'm not a purest and I don't care if they hunt a possum, or ditch couger, or pretty much anything. Deer and skunks are the only thing off limits anymore).

While I had a hard time learning to use a collar correctly it has proved to be a great tool. But Rule #1 for me when training with a collar is don't hit the button for what you THINK they are doing, only hit the button for what you KNOW they are doing.

CB

i hand my dogs a$$'s to them when they screw up. if they get in the garbage, i stick them head first upside down in the can and hold them there while banging the crap out of the can. been doing this to all my dogs for years. am i harsh? yes, but i get comments ALL the time how well behaved my dog are.

Back