IMI Brass

Tactical .20

I called to buy some more IMI brass, but it is not available. I had him send me some Lupa brass, but he said I wouldn't be able to load them as fast-fps as the IMI brass. What makes the IMI brass better than other brass? Thicker?
I found some .223 IMI bullets on the internet, for the same price as the Lupa brass, figuring I could just pull the bullets and use the brass to form my Tactical.20 casings. Anyone want these Lupa casings for the Tactical.20?

"I wouldn't be able to load them as fast-fps as the IMI brass. What makes the IMI brass better than other brass? Thicker?"
Just the opposite. Faster means more case capacity, which means thinner brass.
What makes IMI better quality is better quality control of the drawing process.
Isreal is a small country threatend from all sides and they know they have to remain competitive in the world markets. They generally do this.

Jack

I really like the IMI cases... but I wouldn't rank them higher than Lapua. They are a bit thicker (which isn't always a plus, look at Federal's cases of the last 10 years or so... total jokes for reloading)... but the IMI cases are indeed very good. They're right up with Lapua, in my book.
smile.gif

And probably, if you're running them through a semi-auto, the IMI would be the top choice, as I believe they'll hold up longer.

What controls your velocity is pressure (speaking generally here). You can load either case to the same pressure level, and get about the same velocity. Some cases can take more pressure before showing signs of stretch at the web, or head stamp ejector marks.

If you had a good load worked up with IMI cases and then go to a lighter case, you'll just need a tad more powder to get the same accuracy and velocity.

I like Jack's comments about Israel. They are indeed in a precarious situation over there... and a MAJOR war is coming... but fortunately, God has "sent us a text," so to speak... telling us how it'll all turn out.
wink.gif

Ezekiel 38 and 39, and Zechariah 14 are some good reading...

Dan

The Ruger .204 guys seem to not beable to get the same speed as the Tactical.20. the Ruger has a longer casing than the T.20. I thought that the IMI casings were stronger or something, or the T.20 design was better on achieving more speed.
I also have heard they will not wait long to hit Iran's nuclear places, I hate to see high high fuel will go then.
So, why do you think the IMI loads get more speed at max, or is it the design of the Tactical.20 chamber?
The drawing process is the making of the casing, or pressing it?

Last edited:
Why is that? I want to keep the ability to shoot the 40gr at 4000fps, he told me I would probably only get 3800 with the Lupua casings, without pressure problems. The 33gr v maxs would shoot 4375 without trouble, had one cronied at 4420 fps.
I used to live in Putnam co, just north of you, 17. That was in '85-'87.

Last edited:
Quote: What does drawn out mean?

It's using a press and forming dies to turn a pellet of material into tubing (or a cartridge case).

It's actually called a deep drawing process, if you want to Google it. If you look at this page, you can see the various stages and how it progresses.

Deep drawing process

Back