How to get started making calls

A very nice tropic to read with the pictures an all.

I hope to get mine woodturning machine maybe this week and start to make mine own calls.
I start with the predator call.

I hope to read more about this in the furture.

Greeting Form Holland a little country over the big pond,

Doublet

I would recommend getting the Jet variable speed mini lathe if anyone is looking for a good lathe. It is around $300-$350, but well worth the investment. Jet has a good warranty and knowledgeable service techs available by phone. I have had mine for almost 2 years and love it! I have turned around 300 turkey calls and as many strikers on it as well as a few dozen tube calls and predator calls.

could any of you send me a call to Spain.
Because here is very difficult to get a hunting call. I WILL USE IT TO HUNT FOXES AND CATS.
i AM STARTING IN THE CALLING WORLD AND i DONT HAVE ANY CALLS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

I will appreciate your gift.

Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif
Alvaro

Looks like fun I would just like the carving part myself maybe make a few table legs LOL.I am working on a antler call right now it's a good hobby .

I would love to see part 2 also Arkyyoter.Part 1 was very informative,learned quite a bit as a newbee.Starting to set up my shop slowly and all the things i ordered are starting to come in,just got my jet mini.Thanks for the time and effort in helping out new call makers.It would be great to have just a section on turning calls with input on how to's from the masters.

I know this is an older thread, but I would like to see part 2. There are some tutorials on YouTube for anyone interested.

I to would like to see how you hollow them out. I have made a few of them and I hollow them first so would like to see how you do it.
Thank You,
Steve

Choice of Calls
The calling boxes have really taken off in sales. And there are some really good ones, but I prefer the mouth calls for calling bobcats and coyotes. There are reasons for this. I used 8 track tapes we had produced ourselves and played them on the player in my truck and had a speaker that I placed on the top of the truck in 1968. This was when the first cassette players came out but did not have enough volume for me. On a windy night you not use the cassette tapes. At this time in my teens, I used Weems calls made in Cleburne, Texas, just 15 miles away and got to meet Mr. Weems. One of the guys I played football with high school, father worked with him at Sante Fe Railways, and I met him and bought calls from him for my coyote calling. I also at the time was using Burnham Brothers calls in the early and mid 60’s. All of these were closed reed calls, and worked very well, and called in a lot of coyotes and foxes with them. I still use the same types of calls with great success. To me the best closed reed calls on the market are the Dan Thompson Calls, they are styled off of the old Weems calls, in fact we have talked about that many times. I also use the open reed howler calls, but use them to make jack rabbit sounds with great success. I use the hand calls because I can control the animal coming in better. If the tape keeps rolling when a predator shows up, if he has been called before, he will hold up at a distance and watch to see what is going on. If I see him coming in the distance, I will stop calling completely and only coax him if he stops coming in. He will tell me by his body language what he is going to do.

I know it's probably been asked but what turning tools do you guys use for making these calls, or have any info on some decent ones to start out with or you have had good luck with. I just bought a Delta "midi" and am now starting to buy all the other stuff i need to start turning. Thanks

Lights,if you google Rare Earth Predator calls,and scroll down I have video on Discovering It was taken just before I replaced the bearings in the lathe. Hope this helps

Back