Coyote traps.

I too prefer the #3 Bridgers, modified. I get a lot of catches 2-3 inches above the ankle, with 3lbs of tension. I like the looks of the rod dog, I may try to pound out a few. They are from 3/16 round rod?

The PIT pans have 2 connections to the spring pin and when closed are very tough for a coyotes to pull off and the newer ones comes with the round dogs.

The jake trap is a nice trap the only thing I need to see is how well the pads hold up to coyotes on extended checks. Well made by a great guy. I just prefer the sterling and cost savings of a mod bridger.

I have had coyotes bend them over to the side and had a few ripped off of the frame, yes the PIT's connect to the spring pin you close them with a vice grips 2 connections far better than 1 and the pans are heavier for sure than stock pans, plus no messing around filing, connect pan and dog and you have them ready to roll.

The Bridger is a copy of the Northwoods not a copy of the Montgomery. The Montgomery and Montana look to have a shorter in height jaw than the NW or Bridger. How do you adjust the pan tension on the pit pans?
Victors used to be made too thin, flexed and sharp edges on trap, I sold all of mine 35 yrs ago, didn't like the foot damage caused by them. The NW trap had a much thicker frame and jaw.

the vic threes are very well made. base and jaws are thick and smooth, especially the forged jaw offset model. they treat critters real well

I thought the Northwoods was a copy of the Montogomery dog-on #3 and then they switched to the dogless design and sold the dies for the dog-on to northwoods.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I know I have some dog-on Montgomeries, Northwoods, and Bridgers. Dyed and waxed, I couldn't tell you what was what.

I thought they were different, maybe I am wrong. The ones I saw looked to me like they did not reach as high when closed, I might be wrong. If the Montana is like a Montgomery, it seems to me they are shorter, also.

IMG_3710.jpg

Here is a picture for comparison. From left to right there are:
1. A number 3 Montgomery Dogless
2. A number 3 Montgomery Dog-on
3. A Northwoods number 3
4. A Northwoods number 3 with Paws-I-Trip style pan.

The Dog-on jaws are the same size as the dogless jaws. They are smaller than the northwoods jaws.

I really do like the Paws-I-Trip style pan. It is consistent and easy to work with.

How do you adjust the pan tension on the I-trip pans? They have the rod dog on them? I liked the dogless traps O'Gorman had when I was out there, just wasn't familiar with using them and there were few of them on the market back then.

tactical
i bet you are correct they finally got the message. they have even turned up the jaw tips to prevent yotes from popping jaws.

When first put on, their normal tension is about three pounds. I have heard of bending the dog up to increase and down to decrease but have not needed to do either.

So, they just go one the spring pin by sliding them on, or how do you attatch them to the pin?
My #3 Bridger and NW traps don't need jaw tips bubbled or tipped up, especially if they are laminated, they are too stiff to bend enough, but then I have never caught a cougar, so maybe they could pop the jaw, which I would welcome anyway!!

Basically. They have an open eye that you place on the spring pin and then squeeze shut with pliers. I originally bought them when I trade for some traps and the pans had been messed up by the previous owner. I was skeptical that attaching it to the spring pins could be good. In the end, they are very consistent and stable.

Back