coyotes relationship with fox

lon0121

do coyote and fox get along. i heard the canis latrans will chase a fox down at the site of him. we have alot of grays down here in ky, does that mean there are no yotes in my area? also, when is the best time of year to use a fox decoy??

thanks,
lonnie

Probably have a better chance of calling in a gray. I haven`t seen many foxes in my area for a couple of years. They will I believe share the same habitat.Grays could climb a tree to avoid yotes.

i shot one gray last year and i snuck up on him when i was moving to another calling spot, he was jumping over logs in the woods, think he was chasing mice around. downright beautiful critters

I have called in several grays in the past few years but the last red a called was during turkey season 3 years ago. I have photos of grays and coyotes from our trail cam munching on the same deer carcass.At different times of course.

i worked at general motors for a year back in 08 in lake orion michigan and i seen in the middle of the night 1 red fox wander across the street like an ally cat. beautiful critter.
havent seen a red since i moved to kentucky, jus grays!
the red and coyote as well as bobcat are still on my list to get!!!

Mortal enemies! Coyotes will come to a Red or Grey in distress sound, I've used stuffed toy red fox as a decoy. Good combination. If you spot both at same time: Shot the Coyote...
smile.gif

A friend of mine that traps in W. Maine was checking his traps and found just a red fox leg in the trap. The coyotes got to him first.

On 3 separate occasions last winter I called in a gray fox and coyote on the same stand. When I hunt the fields and woods close to town and houses, I see lots of fox sign. The deeper I get into the woods I see more coyote sign. I live in that transition and have lots of fox and coyotes too.

Based on what I see in the field I do believe that the fox are being forced into them populated areas to escape the coyote.

A territorial pr of coyotes would be more agressive towards a fox or other canine. As compared to a tresspasser or nomadic coyote passing through anothers territory & came near a fox in that area.

I talked with another coyote hunter last yr. His group watched a bedded coyote stare at a pr of Red Fox playing, very close by. The coyote got up & left the area. Why? Well, I suspect that coyote sized up the situation & passed. The other scenario, could've been it was a local coyote that wasn't all that agressive towards the pr of fox.

I do however believe a local pr or family group of coyotes. Will do their best to run off or kill other predators in their marked area.

I've talked with area farmers that have had a lone coyote, a pr of coyotes & a family group pile onto their farm dogs.

I might add. Another observation is since the coyotes moved into my hunt area[late 60's]. The Red Fox pretty much quit denning out near the center portions of the 1x1 or 2x2 mile sections.

Now most all the Reds den in the roadway ditch banks. Within a 1/4 mile or less from an active farm. I suspect the local coyotes put them there.

Thats what I hear, they have pushed the surviving fox into town or on the county roads. I shot a adult female coyote that was trailing a fox on the snow, the fox spotted her, it ran towards my truck, noticed the truck, angled a little away from it as it crossed the road. The coyote tried to cut it off by cutting th angle farther, then noticed my truck on the road. It slammed on the brakes, looked my way like where did that truck come from? White truck on snow. I was laying on the ground and let her have the 55gr Nosler at 300yds. She had a half full or better stomach, she just wanted to kill that fox.

cool, i read somewhere that if there are red fox in the area that there probably arent many coyote. we have a lot of gray here as well as coyote. so that would explain seeing them both

yes grays can co exsist better with coyotes than red fox as they generally hang to tighter cover and have more escape routes and also hang closer to cover than do reds.

They are a neat looking fox. I shot one out of an apple tree in the winter, it was eating frozen apples. The red I was tracking was bedded 20yds from the tree, it took off straight away from me, but one shot stopped it from getting over the hill, .223 55gr fmjbt. It would be nice to have some greys here, either mange or distemper took them out.

seems like thats all we got here, i know we got yotes cause they kick up the dusk with peircing howls and whines, every great once in a while you will see dead bobcat and coyote at the side of the road, Like i said ive never seen a red fox here, that doesnt mean they arent here but we do know the grays are!

lonnie

Originally Posted By: kirbyI might add. Another observation is since the coyotes moved into my hunt area[late 60's]. The Red Fox pretty much quit denning out near the center portions of the 1x1 or 2x2 mile sections.

Now most all the Reds den in the roadway ditch banks. Within a 1/4 mile or less from an active farm. I suspect the local coyotes put them there.

Ditto on the denning observation.

On a sidenote, i pulled in a lone yote & a pair(separate occasions) last winter using a sound on the e-caller imitating a red killing a bunny.

That being said, we have seen red fox/yotes in close proximity in certain areas. But the reds definitely favor the smaller 1x1 sections less frequented by coyotes.

We had a lot of red fox until Coyotes showed up. The red fox is a mortal enemy of the coyote. I am not saying that a coyote won't eat a red fox but most times they kill them, disembowel them, and leave them lay. The grey fox evidently is much desired by the coyote as table fare. I have found that grey fox distress is one of the better calls to use for call shy coyotes.

Back