Coyotes Attack Turkey Hunter

AzWill

Turkey-calling hunter attacked by coyotes

May 9, 2001 Posted: 7:42 PM EDT (2342 GMT)

CLIFTON PARK, New York (AP) -- An upstate New York turkey hunter is receiving rabies shots after he was attacked by coyotes. A wildlife expert says the coyotes may have mistaken the hunter for a turkey.

The man was hunting in an Albany suburb Friday when he was surprised by two coyotes. He killed one of them but the other got away after biting him.

A state wildlife pathologist says the coyotes probably were looking for food for their pups, and didn't expect to find a human. The man was camouflaged and calling turkey.

The wildlife official says coyotes normally avoid human contact and probably were just as surprised as the hunter. He also says coyotes rarely contract rabies, but the man was being given shots as a precaution.

------------------
yotewalk.gif

http://www.predatormasters.com

It sounds like this guy might have been one of those "once a year" turkey hunters. I would think an experienced hunter would have been a little more alert and observant. On the upside: East Coast yote hunters, take note.

[This message has been edited by NASA (edited 05-15-2001).]

Sounds to me as though the guy did very well in that rare incident. Coyotes can be very silent and swift. We are lucky they normally are afraid of human odor.

Maybe I should start to offer a service as bodyguard and perimiter security for those turkey hunters.

This is not the first of such incident in the east. There have been several cases reported in MN and WI.

------------------
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
one shot~one kill

Back