Woman Killed by Bear in NM

Chile Verde

ALBUQUERQUE -- A 93-year-old woman who was found dead in her Mora County home on Saturday died as the result of a bear attack, a medical examiner said Monday.

An autopsy showed Adelia Maestas Trujillo died of multiple bite injuries from the bear attack, said Scott Wilson, associate director of investigations for the state Office of the Medical Investigations. The bear was tracked and killed about a half-mile from Trujillo's home after Trujillo was found dead by a relative.

The bear weighed about 250 pounds and was about 4 years old, state Game and Fish Department officials said.

----------
The local word has it that she was drying some plums in her kitchen and the bear came right on in. Also not reported in the newspaper, but by word of mouth, parts of the woman were found in the bear after they shot it.

Chile,
I think I heard or read something about that on the news or the paper. NBC nightly news also had a piece on how bears are becoming a problem this year, especially in Colo. because a late cold snap killed most of the acorn and berry crop that the bears usually feed on.

But, we don't need to control their numbers,now. They are just being bears. That's true, but with all the pressure on game depts. not to allow some sort of controls and all the people building homes in areas that once were wild, duh,no wonder this is happening. It will continue to happen more and more. I just hope the victims are some of the do gooders, themselves. It's nice they want to donate their bodies to the food chain.

Terry

Back