Alberta Bans Coyote Hunting with Dogs

Encore

reprinted without permission from North American Hunting Club

Alberta Bans Hunting Coyotes With Dogs

The Alberta government recently announced that it’s limiting the practice of using dogs to hunt coyotes.

It’s now illegal to hunt coyotes with dogs, although a temporary permit can be granted to livestock owners who have suffered losses from coyotes. The permits, however, will only be granted as a last resort when other coyote-control measures have failed.

The new law follows apparent growing concern that coyote hunting has become a recreational activity.

Alberta Agriculture Minister Shirley McClellan and Resource Minister Mike Cardinal amended the regulations necessary to stop the practice of using dogs to hunt coyotes.

“Coyotes are an important and valuable wildlife species,” McClellan said.

Story courtesy of Jennifer Bober of the Calgary Sun.

I live in Alberta and have friends that hunt coyotes with greyhounds.Last spring a hound hunter from northern Alberta was asked if some people could go along on a hunt as they were interested in hunting with dogs. The hunter did not know they were "antis" until the edited video made the national media here.The uproar died down quite quickly and local dog men relaxed. In the meantime the "antis" continued to lobby the gov't quietly behind closed doors. No public hearings or input. About a month ago the minister for agriculture announced the ban.The ranchers in my area are really choked. The ag. minister has been getting huge amounts of flak. The dog owners are trying to get some kind of grandfathering regs. implemented. This is another example of laws that are poorly researched and only implemented for political expediency and correctness.Between this law and the new federal gun registration law{read gun grab} we will need to teach our livestock to protect themselves with hockey sticks. This is another warning that we as hunters cannot afford to be complacent. This is another wake up call. The barbarians really are on the ramparts and we had best be vigilant.If there is an up side to this, it's that a coyote problem that is serious now,will only get worse. So until the gov't sorts out their error, traditional method, coyote hunting prospects should be excellent.I have had calls from 3 neighbours in 2 days asking if I would get rid of coyotes on their places. I said yes.

Redfrog, that really stinks man. I can't believe they would make a decision like that behind closed doors... How could anyone make a decision based on one side of the story? That's like the Judge ruling in favor of the plaintiff without ever hearing the defendants side. Complete insanity.

Jits

No kidding about Colorado. Worst RM state for tree hugging. No bear baiting or running with dogs. Canada however, is even worst. Alberta is the best and least PC. Whatever the goverment decides is the law. And you wouldn't like the laws there or the taxes.

Back