Gunner is a dad...again.

TonyTebbe

Last night, my Penny dog delivered pups. She's a smooth hair border collie that I crossed with Gunner. I wanted to try this cross out, as it worked very well for me in the past with border collie / greyhound crosses. I wanted a male to keep back and try out. I picked her up from a rancher that I was hunting on his land in TX. She's a trained sheep dog, but got a too rough with sheep. Perfect for what I was looking for. She can catch a jackrabbit slicker than snot and will flat get after a coyote. She has explosive speed and more grit than I've seen in collies before.

She had 5 males and 1 female. But...unfortunately, this is her first litter, she didn't know what to do and 5 died before morning.
frown.gif

I spent most of the morning working with her. One male is left and finally nursing. Hopefully he survives.

pennypup1.jpg

pennypup2.jpg

Tony

Gunner really leaves his blood in them doesnt he. All the pups look like him. Sorry to hear that. I was going to ask you about those ones to.

Sure hope he makes it Tony. Will be interesting to see how the cross works out. We had a couple or Borders when I was younger and they were some of the smartest dogs we've ever had.

Well, unfortunately the last pup didn't make it through the night. I didn't mark down the breeding date, but by the looks of the pups, I think it's a case of them being born a couple weeks too early. Just didn't have much strength or size to them, let alone their heads and feet didn't look fully developed yet. We'll try this cross in the future, one last time.

On a lighter note, the other litter of Gunner pups is doing great. Fiesty, friendly, full of pizz and vinegar, and flat out funny. I brought home 7 or 8 jackrabbits the other day, one which was still very alive. It was funnier than heck to watch the whole litter chase the jackrabbit around the yard and into the pasture, before they finally caught it. It was bigger than them, but they sure did a good team effort on killing and eating it.
smile.gif

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Tony

Back