The outcome of the AOL case

mallardman

I was suprised to see the posting of the AOL law suit recently, as this had been in the news for quite awhile, and since I have only been a member for a short time. I had thought to myself on many different occasions, why there were members of this forum who chose to continue to use AOL, but then again, it is their choice. The judge handed down his verdict today,and it was not a good one. Below is the link to the article. http://www.standard.net/standard/news/news_story.html?sid=00020204231020267056

Also worth noting is the fact that you can get a server that is pro gun and pro outdoors for about the same price, maybe even cheaper.

Mallardman, I'm new here too but I have followed this case since the beginning and unfortunately, I predicted the outcome in several debates on other boards.

There were several reasons these guys failed in their suit, reasons that weren't in all of the articles, but when you put all the articles together it becomes clearer.

(1) This wasn't a first time instance, the guys were warned a time prior to this and the consequences were made clear.

(2) As I understand it, Utah is a "right to terminate state" or something like that. Meaning, employers can fire anyone at any time for any reason.

(3) The property was clearly AOL's, they had paid damages for injuries inflicted on the property. And private property rights trump individual rights.

I don't know if these guys were attempting to make a landmark case for Gun Rights, or if they were just pushing the issue.Or had bad advice prior to the incident.

My opinion is though if they had been such strong supporters of the Second Amendment they wouldn't have stayed working for a company believed to be anti, the economy was too good prior to their firing. They weren't championing the Second , they were hiding behind it.

Howdy, Marland
biggrin.gif

Glad to see you stopped by. I'm think you're pretty much correct in your assessment of the case. I think they gambled on AOL not actually owning the parking lot, as it was leased. I'd have parked off the property until I could find another job, or made sure no one knew I had anything in the vehicle.

------------------
"When They turn the pages of history,
When these days have passed long ago.

Will they read about us in sorrow,
for the seeds that we let grow?" - RUSH, "A Farewell To Kings"

Thanks for the welcome Stu.

This case has been a real rip snorter. Individual Rights X 2 and which way to go?

Looks like a real decent forum here, I see some familiar faces, all known to be good and true. Hope you don't mind if I grab a stump and push my agenda
biggrin.gif

Have at it. I've been talking to myself in here long enough that people are starting to look at me funny
wink.gif

------------------
"When They turn the pages of history,
When these days have passed long ago.

Will they read about us in sorrow,
for the seeds that we let grow?" - RUSH, "A Farewell To Kings"

Back