.224 52 grain Berger varmint bullets?

Never have shot the 52 gr but the 55 are awsome!!!! I smacked alot of coyotes with them last year and they preformed perfect. Brent

Originally Posted By: OKBrentNever have shot the 52 gr but the 55 are awesome!!!! I smacked a lot of coyotes with them last year and they preformed perfect. Brent

You pushing those out of a .22-250 or a .223?

They are the most accurate bullet I've shot out of my 22-250. Great bullet for coyotes, pretty easy on the fur too.

I used them in a .223 and the accuracy was great, I had several coyotes spin and run(probably my shot placement) and I had several that dropped, overall I would use them if they shoot good out of your rifle. There was not much pelt damage even on exit.

These were by far the most accurate bullets in my Savage BVSS 22-250 behind 34.6 grains of H4064. I used them on a p-dog hunt and can tell you they are not nearly as frangible as a Nosler BT or Hornady V-max. On the hand, I was able to hit some really long dogs because 5 shots with new Win brass would cluster 3/8" 5 shot groups. I think they would be awesome on coyotes, probably the best application I can think of.

Interesting. I have some 55 gr Berger Varmint match. From what I have read "not yet experienced" alot of .17 Remington shooters swear by the Berger Match, and not the Varmint Match Bullet. I have tried the Nosler BT's and they have worked well on Coyotes. Im gonna have to give each one a few shots at a Coyote come Sept, and see what I find.

I finally got some of the Berger 52's loaded up, it's gonna be hard to top this group. I will get the chrony out soon to see what kind of velocity they are getting. I've never used the Bergers before I've heard everything from they are about perfect to they just pencil through leaving runners. You can't argue with the Berger accuracy statements though.

Berger52MatchVarmint.jpg

Treeshepard, I am shooting the 55 gr Varmint Match bullets out of a 22-250 Ackley and a 220 Swift. They preform flawless!!! I tried them out of my ARs but the Hornady 55s shot better so I never shot a dog out of a 223. Hope that answers your question, Brent

Thanks Brent, that's what I had concluded about those might need higher .22-250 velocities to work best. I do have them loaded up in a 22-250 but they didn't shoot as good as the .223 target I posted. However, I'm hoping to chrony them soon just to see what I've got.

Last edited:
Berger 50 and 52 gn bullets are probably THE best bullets in several 222's, 223's and 222 Mags I've shot them in. Groups are like the one pictured above. Up toll the time I started shooting them, I'd been shooting Speer 50 gn TNT's with good accuracy. They are still good bullets, but the Bergers are better.

Martyn

berger bullets are awesome.i use the vlds in all my big guns for pig and deer.match grade hunting bullets that will flat put big game down.can you tell i am a berger bullet man.

Back