School Leaders OK Condom Policy

azmastablasta

School leaders OK condom policy in Provincetown
By Pru Sowers
Provincetown Banner
Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 06:26 AM
PROVINCETOWN —

A condom distribution policy at the elementary and high school here was approved by the school committee on Tuesday.

Some committee members were concerned that the policy requires students to speak with a school nurse or other trained counselor before receiving a condom. However, Dr. Beth Singer, school superintendent, argued that since there is no age limit on the distribution policy, she wanted to ensure that younger students requesting condoms receive information on their use.

“I don’t like that students can’t be discreet about this,” said school committee member Shannon Patrick. “They have to go and ask for it. I’d rather them not have the conversation [with counselors] and have the condom than not have the condom.”

“I can see some kids opting out because of the conversation. I’m not against [the policy]. I’m just trying to put myself in that teenager’s spot,” said committee member Carrie Notaro.
Singer said that although sex education is taught in health classes, there isn’t any detailed instruction on condom usage, including the fact that condoms are not a 100 percent guarantee against pregnancy or sexually transmitted diseases.

“We’re talking about younger kids. They have questions they need answered on how to use them, when to use them,” Singer said.

The board voted unanimously to approve the policy, which also states that the school district will not honor requests from parents that students not be allowed to receive condoms.

“At least [the new policy] gives the kids the opportunity” to have an instructional conversation, said school committee chair Peter Grosso.

Pru Sowers can be reached at psowers@provincetownbanner.com

http://www.wickedlocal.com/provincetown/...in-Provincetown

Originally Posted By: azmastablasta
School leaders OK condom policy in Provincetown
By Pru Sowers
Provincetown Banner
Posted Jun 11, 2010 @ 06:26 AM
PROVINCETOWN —

A condom distribution policy at the elementary and high school here was approved by the school committee on Tuesday.

Some committee members were concerned that the policy requires students to speak with a school nurse or other trained counselor before receiving a condom. However, Dr. Beth Singer, school superintendent, argued that since there is no age limit on the distribution policy, she wanted to ensure that younger students requesting condoms receive information on their use.

“I don’t like that students can’t be discreet about this,” said school committee member Shannon Patrick. “They have to go and ask for it. I’d rather them not have the conversation [with counselors] and have the condom than not have the condom.”

“I can see some kids opting out because of the conversation. I’m not against [the policy]. I’m just trying to put myself in that teenager’s spot,” said committee member Carrie Notaro.
Singer said that although sex education is taught in health classes, there isn’t any detailed instruction on condom usage, including the fact that condoms are not a 100 percent guarantee against pregnancy or sexually transmitted diseases.

“We’re talking about younger kids. They have questions they need answered on how to use them, when to use them,” Singer said.

The board voted unanimously to approve the policy, which also states that the school district will not honor requests from parents that students not be allowed to receive condoms.

“At least [the new policy] gives the kids the opportunity” to have an instructional conversation, said school committee chair Peter Grosso.

Pru Sowers can be reached at psowers@provincetownbanner.com

http://www.wickedlocal.com/provincetown/...in-Provincetown

Who are the people that make up this committee? If it's like most school boards, they are people elected from the community, not staff or administrators.

Originally Posted By: podunkcowboy I believe its sad that the school board now has to perform basic parenting.

I believe it's more sad that they have been ALLOWED to do it.

Originally Posted By: Black_WolfOriginally Posted By: podunkcowboy I believe its sad that the school board now has to perform basic parenting.

What is really sad is that so many parents do not parent and expect the schools/government to parent/babysit for them.

Originally Posted By: dogcatcherOriginally Posted By: Black_WolfOriginally Posted By: podunkcowboy I believe its sad that the school board now has to perform basic parenting.

What is really sad is that so many parents do not parent and expect the schools/government to parent/babysit for them.

Not surprising, really.

It is just what they were bred and indoctrinated to do.

Steady ahead on the course to the new world order and a constant supply of fresh flesh for the beast.

I'm going to laugh till I choke when their fourth reich is exterminated with extreme predjudice.

Evil never wins.

I actually have no issue with it at all. Being a health teacher and in the schools for years, I know that there is a huge majority of students who have no idea when it comes to sex.

If left to thier own vices they, will learn about it from the internet, on MTV and rumor from each other. Even in schools and classes with extremely educated students the stuff they believe is unreal. While I agree it should be the parent, most of the parents do not have a clue either. Things are way different today then they were 15-20 years ago.

I would rather see condoms handed out than deal with the 4-5 pregnant teens I see every year inj my small school. I feel a very simple opt out option for parents is fine. If you really feel you can do the job then do it, but do not limit the ability of people to educate and help others.

I am sure I am gonna get some flames on this, but as a health teacher, if my converstaion with kids prevented one teen pregnancy, one case of HIV, then it was all worth it. Again unless you have sat down and talked with kids from age 12 and up in an open manner, you really have no idea what they hear and what they believe.

Back