Culling dogs......

Kirby, there is a "pack of dogmen" here that believe we can find the "perfect dog".
Some say there is "no such thing", but it is the goal for some of us, we share ideas, and traits, and diff blood, honestly,we also cull all the dinks. We have a common goal, and work together to get closer to it.
You seem to be pretty high on your dogs, thats great.
Other guys that are breeding for certain traits are high on theirs.
Just remember what you feed and are high on, wouldn't get a "3 day stay in some kennels"
Just as what I feed and am high on, wouldn't get a "3 day stay in your kennel".
This forum is a place to express ideas, all are welcome whether anyone agrees or not.

Originally Posted By: Duane@ssuKirby, there is a "pack of dogmen" here that believe we can find the "perfect dog".
Some say there is "no such thing", but it is the goal for some of us, we share ideas, and traits, and diff blood, honestly,we also cull all the dinks. We have a common goal, and work together to get closer to it.
You seem to be pretty high on your dogs, thats great.
Other guys that are breeding for certain traits are high on theirs.
Just remember what you feed and are high on, wouldn't get a "3 day stay in some kennels"
Just as what I feed and am high on, wouldn't get a "3 day stay in your kennel".
This forum is a place to express ideas, all are welcome whether anyone agrees or not.

Well that is good Duane, especially your last sentence. Kennel? We never had so called "kennels" As in breeding & selling dogs, as well as killing/[culling in this matter] non-hacker dogs. The perfect dog? A eutopian dream at best. I would like to know of or hear about the "perfect dog". Must be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars? You think? I fully understand about people killing what they don't like or don't meet, their so called "high standards".

Let me put it this way. Anyone of you. Your best dog, can it match or supercede the "short list"/see[worthy coyote dog] thread? If so, lets hear about them. The list I refer to on my thread? If not, then your standards apparently are not all that high. We were never into making a buck off of our dogs. We hunted them, & we traded them. Some we gave away to other hunters we knew. They did the same in return. It wasn't a business. When we sold, traded or give away a dog. We explained/informed everything we knew about that dog's abilities/history or lack thereof. The new owner knew what they were getting.

As for me being a "bleeding heart" really? What I believe is. I put a higher value/[non-monetary gain mind you] on a dogs life, than some.

Last edited:
I understand what you are saying Kirby, but what these guys are saying is "don't take a cadillac to a mudbog".

They are trying to breed dogs for what THEY are using them for, not for what everyone is using them for. They aren't looking for a dog that will toll coyotes, decoy coyotes, point birds, retrieve waterfowl etc, etc. They are looking for dogs to HUNT all day every day, no matter what. Maybe this doesn't sit right with you and that's ok with them, but they are doing what they feel they need to do. Bottom line is that they are feeding these dogs, and putting the time into them. Maybe they should give you a call the next time they are gonna cull a dog.

gonzaga, I haven't owned a hound since the early 70's. I'm not interested in owning another dog. Nice try on the snip LOL!

These "best of the best" top dollar dogs. I would like to read about their full abilites/[experiences] from their proud owners. Not to mention any flaws that dog has. Post'em up
wink.gif
I'll be on stand-by
wink.gif

Two prime examples of a coyotes ability. Showing a hound's weakness or flaw.

On two different hunts. We had a lone coyote run/lope 11 miles. The other coyote ran/loped 9 miles. This was on low hilly terrain. We had a visual most all of the way on both coyotes. No dog alive we ever seen or knew of. Was capable of that endurance or stamina. Remarkable.

Our best trailhounds were capable of a couple miles at best on hilly terrain. Our best sighthounds capable of around a mile. Before giving up the ghost.

I only wish I could let my dogs run for miles on end like that. You see, where I live, there is alot of private land and big ranches that are family owned and operated. There are ranchers that would just as soon shoot a dog that is running anything even a coyote. Most of the hunting I am gonna do is close range, I am not shooting coyotes that are 500-1000 yds off, even with a camera, I want them close. I have called them for years, and have had good success. The reason I got my dog was to have a hunting partner that wasn't gonna wuss out on me. My dog may not be "the best coyote dog that you have ever seen", but I am not planning on hunting with you either. I am planning on hunting with myself and my dog, and if one my friends around here that want to come along. But I doubt that you will be giving me a ring.

I see some raised hackles? No gonzaga. I'm not interested in hunting with anyone on this site. I hunt alone or with one of my Bro's or close friends.

Last edited:
This thread has taken a turn for the worst, I don't think it could be written and re-written enough that we all have our own standard and our dogs have to suit us and that's how they earn their feed. Its turning into a rambling diatribe against an important and essential aspect of sporting dogs, culling inferior stock (for breeding). As far as I have seen, no one has attacked anyone personally and that respect is admirable, but I don't see any more productive information coming from the ranting.

Screw Workman and Devin.....what do they know?.....flamers!!!...lol

I originally posted this topic to get a view on how stupid some dogs owners are....but then again, we all can't be rocket scientists.

If we were smart we wouldn't have hounds at all. Thats why im in this game....."straight up as stupid as they come" but im ok with that.

I'm not gonna cull a dog for something i should be able to fix or for a habit i have created....unless i can't fix it. Most of us have probably ruined more dogs then we have made, if we are being honest. At the same time i'm not gonna feed one i dont like either. "Why would you feed a dog you don't like?"

I think in most cases people have a harder time getting the full potential out of their dogs. Unfortunatelly most of us dont live the life style to make great dogs....we just keep livin the dream and pluggin along.

I have littermates to dogs that are owned by outfitters that hunt for a living....there dogs are 100 times the dogs mine will ever be. Thats just how it is..... We just keep breeding culls to culls and hope for the best....

How about more pics and less argueing about nothing....by the way my dog is better then your dog Workman.

take care, jason

Poser- You remember what Frosty did after you told him "Screw them [beeep] bears"... You saw the pic.

I sure hope he don't get on here and read this, Brian and Devin will be in for a rough go round.

LMAO!

I got one of the best dogs I've ever owned for free. The man I got him from bought the dog for $500 but gave him to me because he barked to much. I still have the dog & he does like to bark, but I will own him until he dies. I've been offered as much as $2500 for the dog on more than one occasion. Just goes to show that sometimes one mans trash really is another mans treasure.

As far as culling goes. If a dog doesn't meet my standards he usually ends up dead. No reason to sugar coat it. That said I don't have a problem with giving a cull to someone that just wants a pet, & doesn't hunt. I have yard dogs that are the kids pets, my hunting dogs are kept up & I only handle them when they are working.

Last edited:
Doesn't take a whole lot of work to turn a few hounds down on a coyote and run them.It takes a little more work to get a dog to decoy for you!!There was a great dog man years ago in the pointer game name was Robert G. Wehle maybe you should read how he developed his breeding program.Bottom line is what works for you want work for the next, and to most hunters that go out a few times a year to hunt ducks,quail,are even coyotes may not be able to tell the differance from a meat dog and a jam up dog.Seen it to many times.I would never ever ever sell are give a cull to anyone period!!!Thats why dog men now have a bad name and if a man spends time getting a strain of dogs he likes then by all means he should be able to profit from them.You just have to be honest with your self and cull and cull hard.Exposure is the key and training but most people dont and cant do either.
A cull is a cull is a cull.

Jason

Back