VSSF II Junk Update: Am I crazy?

Glad they came threw for you in replacing the problem. I would take that note to the gunsmith and show him what idiots they are lol

Glad Remington came through for you. I bet this rifle will make you alot happier. On your reloading, don't try to shoot touching the lands, the 204 doesn't seem to like it. Stay waaay off the lands and that gun will shoot.

Congrats on getting your issue resolved. It is good to know there is still such a thing as customer service (even though Scheels hasn't heard of it).

I have a buddy that has had two Remington Model 700 .204's now. Both copper horriblly and it takes hours and hours to get the copper out. The first one he sent back to Remington. They sent it to the custom shop and lapped the barrel. When it came back it was no better than before he shipped it so he traded it off for a new one in Stainless. Same issues. I guess I have never seen him shoot a target with either one so am not sure how the accuracy was, but I have been hunting with him a few times and he missed shots that I have never seen him miss with his other rifles.

More recently I have been working with a Remington Model 700 SPS in .308. I have never seen a rifle barrel this rough in my 57 years. It would copper so bad in as few as 5 rounds I would literally spend days getting the copper out. I would have sent this rifle to Remington long ago but since I had the 24" barrel shortened to 20" by a local gunsmith I figured I am out of luck on Remington doing anything.

Now before you guys start throwing rocks at me, first let me say that what I did I did as a last ditch effort to try to save some $$$ and not have to rebarrel a new rifle. I used a Tubbs Final Finish Bore Lapping Kit. Low and behold it actually helped this Remington. My barrel is much smoother now, yes it still shows copper but it cleans much, much easier. Yes the throat got lengthened, and yes I did pick up a slight bit of velocity. All things that Tubbs claimed would happen. The good news is my accuracy actually improved also.

I am not sure what has happened at Remington but the last few Remingtons my died in the wool Remington fanattic buddy of mine and I have bought have not been what we have come to expect.

Larry

Back