Thompson Contender in 223

Bear

I have a chance to buy a T/C Contender pistol in 223 caliber. My question is what are they worth? I was told to make an offer and he will consider it, but I don't know where to start and I don't want to insult him or screw myself. Thanks

Agree with CK, prices for Contenders are very consistent at the $400-425 level. The only variation is that stainless can bring slightly more, and the optics (or lack thereof) is the other factor in the price.

The biggest problem with used guns is that the amateur or occasional sellers tend to vastly overestimate both condition and value. Just because you saw something on the internet with a price tag of $xxxx doesn't mean that's what it's worth, but especially with guns that's the way many sellers think.

Bare Contender in average condition, I'd personally start no higher than $350. If he's insulted by that, walk away because he has no clue what it's really worth and he's probably thinking he has some rare gem that's worth $1000.

BTW, my .223 Contender is an incredible shooter. Rifle guys at the club are routinely amazed by the groups that pistol will shoot and the most common other comment is that they wish thier rifle shot that well.

Grouse

There are alot of variations in the Contender. So normally I break them down, then add up the sum of the parts.

For example. A receiver in excellent shape is worth somewhere around $225 to $250. Now that is in excellent shape. I would pay $275 for one in perfect shape, but that is top top dollar.

Next is your barrel. A decent barrel is worth anywhere from $100 to $200. A standard used 14" barrel with no sights is probably worth $100 to $125.

Then you have the grips, and forearm. These are the unknowns because so many are available.

Walnut is the most expensive. Unless it is a custom grip.

So add up the parts and see what you get. Then you have a good idea. It is much easier to sell an Contender or Encore in their parts than as a whole.

If you can buy the complete handgun for $350, and it is in excellent shape then you are getting a good deal. If you pass at that price then let me know, if it is in great shape I wil pay that price all day long and for as many as I can get. I will part them out and make some good money. Tom.

Originally Posted By: HOGGHEADThere are alot of variations in the Contender. So normally I break them down, then add up the sum of the parts.

Next is your barrel. A decent barrel is worth anywhere from $100 to $200. A standard used 14" barrel with no sights is probably worth $100 to $125.

Tom.

Tom, It shows the regional variations in price. I'd happily pay $100-125 for a 14 barrel. If you have a 7-30 Waters Super 14 in good condition for that money, please get in touch. For some reason in this area the sellers are convinced used barrels should be selling for $150 and they won't budge despite the fact that their ads show they don't sell anything. I see the same items listed and relisted over and over.

Overall, there is tremendous regional price variation in guns. It's very difficult for the occasional buyer or seller to really get a handle on this because there is so much overpriced stuff clogging up the online sites, which tends to give sellers the impression that prices are higher than they actually are because these are asking prices not selling prices.

Grouse

i bought one a year ago that had a .44mag brl and a t/c scope for $399 it was about 85%-90% condition and i turned around and sold it for $450

Originally Posted By: HOGGHEADThere are alot of variations in the Contender. So normally I break them down, then add up the sum of the parts.

For example. A receiver in excellent shape is worth somewhere around $225 to $250. Now that is in excellent shape. I would pay $275 for one in perfect shape, but that is top top dollar.

Then you have the grips, and forearm. These are the unknowns because so many are available.

Walnut is the most expensive. Unless it is a custom grip.

So add up the parts and see what you get. Then you have a good idea. It is much easier to sell an Contender or Encore in their parts than as a whole.

If you can buy the complete handgun for $350, and it is in excellent shape then you are getting a good deal. If you pass at that price then let me know, if it is in great shape I wil pay that price all day long and for as many as I can get. I will part them out and make some good money. Tom.

Excellent advise by the way. The nature of Contenders lends itself to the concept of selling off the parts as opposed to the whole. I've never bought a complete Contender, bought many frames, stocks, barrels, grips etc.

I've seen basic fair frames go for $200 and on up. Barrels as cheap as $100 but most 14" go for $150 or so...depends on chambering and condition.

I got mine from Guns America. It came with a 10" 30-30 barrel and it was $ 350 and it great shape. I ordered a .223 14" Bull Barrel from EABCO and I think it was about $229. EBAY used to allow sales of the barrels and I picked up a few for good deals. Too bad thats gone now. Good Luck!

Back