E. R. Shaw barrels?

eclubine

Has anybody used these custom barrels? I've been looking at his site and really liked the online ordering set up (and the prices
thumbup.gif
) I'm planning a .222 Mag on a savage action and thinking about having him build the barrel. thanks alot, i'm really loving PM

Yep i had an AR with the ER shaw barrel. rifle was very accurate and was very easy to clean. neal to no copper after shooting several rounds threw it. very good barrel. Matter of fact after seeing how it performed on the AR from all aspects im having ER shaw build my 257 weatherby for me. Im having the whole shabang done to it. It should be done here in another 4 to 6 weeks. chris with customer service is a great guy to talk to about a build he will answer any questions you have and get you taken care of promptly.

I ordered a 6mm Rem. chambered SS barrel in a magnum contour,
for a Savage Model 16. It shoots sub-MOA groups, with most
hand loads, is easy to find loads it REALLY likes(sub .5 MOA),
and it cleans up easily. It's probably not a competition winning
barrel, but for hunting, and casual target shooting, it
exceeds my expectations.

Squeeze

I've become a fan of ER Shaw barrels after having seen several rifles built with them by my gunsmith buddy. these were all CoMo barrels. They all shot around 1/2 MOA with out really trying hard. They were bedded, and generally accurized but it looks to me like paying 3 times as much for the barrel "might" have bought another 1/4" reduction in group size which may or may not be worth it depending on your hunting mission.

I have one on the shelf, #2 taper in .338 1:10 twist, to chamber in .338 Federal when I get a break from ground hog hunting and two more on order, one to make a .25-06 barrel for my Wife's sporterized 03 springfield, one in 6mm 1:14 twist to make a 6 Dasher barrel for my Savage Model 10 for GH hunting. I'd rather have Shilen's but can't justify the price difference. For me, since I chamber my own barrels, they work just fine, and I get the equivelant of 3 new rifles to play with for a fraction of the cost of new rifles.

Fitch

Last edited:
A few years ago I bought a varminter upper from Model 1 for my AR-15. It came with a stainless 24" ER Shaw barrel with a 1/14" twist. This rifle as soon as it was sighted in with a good scope was shooting 5 into a dime at 100 yards. I shot a whole 20 round magazine into a nickle at 100 yards. Do you think that I was impressed? I assure you, I was. I let a buddy shoot my gun that had never even shot it before shoot it and his first 5 shots were all in less than 1/2". He was impressed too. When I made up my mind to make me a .223 AI on my Savage action, my barrel choice was simple- a stainless ER Shaw 24" with a 1/14" twist. 40 grain, 50 grain, 55 grain, dont matter. All nice neat clusters at 100 yards.

I guess that you can say that I am a fan of ER Shaw barrels. I think that you would be too.

Put one on an old Ruger 77 in 30-06 a couple of years ago . Great accuracy and great service from Shaw . I would buy another .

I have put a couple on different rifles. Overall they are great barrels very close in quality to many of the more expensive makers. The only real downside I've noticed is on the shortchambered/contoured barrels the finish is pretty rough. They will definetally take a little time on the buffing wheel even to bring them down to a 220. But if you are looking at bead blasting it doesn't even matter.

I have a 6.5 Grendel with a 20" 1 in 9 twist Shaw barrel that is very good. It will hang in the .4 to .6" range with several different bullet weights. Cleans easily, I would definitely try another one. I have shot this barrel out to 1000 yards on steel plates with very repeatable accuracy. The barrel surprised me. If you use a Shaw barrel take your time and break it in. It will be worth the effort.

In the past I have used nothing but Kriegers-Lilja-Broughton barrels. And on my match rifles I will continue to use them. But the Shaw barrel is above my expectations.

PaPa 260

Back