Why I reload!

Originally Posted By: dogmessiahDon't listen to them, you don't save any money. You just shoot two or three times as much for the same amount of money.

Lmao +1

I figured this out shortly after buying my first AR. Plus a friend explained to me about being able to fine tune ammo to each rifle.that friend helped me get started and I have thouroughly enjoyed it every since. Now, I got a long ways to go to catch up with Old Turtle but I think Im on my way.
Oh and yes I agree you dont save any money ya just shoot more!

I finally jumped into the reloading scene when my brother bought a 257 weatherby. They wanted 60 to 75.00 a box for factory ammo. So thats when i decided to gear up and go for it. I have since then bought a 257 bee plus an Ackley improved. Its lots of fun but it is work as well to do it right. Lot of time preping cases. And you will shoot more. I was shooting 400 rds a year or less 223,243,22-250 all ready in 6 months i have went threw an 8lb jug of benchmark and a couple 1 lb jugs of other powder. So yea you do shoot a helll of a lot more. Its great to get out and burn some ammo with out feeling it in the back side. Plus you can make more accurate rounds for your rifles. Its a win win situation jsut buy the best equipment you can afford because you will end up with it before long anyway. I started with what i just needed and within a few months of doing it started getting all the goodies that make it faster and more persist. I sold all the factory stuff i had and will never buy another factory box. Get ya more then one load data boox it will come in handy and lots of ammo boxes you will need them. When i was buying factory ammo i thought 10 boxes was a pretty good supply of ammo. WRONG 10 boxes aint chit when your loading your own.

If I did it right on the reloading calculator link. I punched in where the brass price is the amount of what my reloading equipment cost. Just the basic stuff and came up with needing to reload about 4000 rounds to get it to where the cost per shell was below factory bought ammo. And that was just for one caliber. If I split it between 2 it took about 3000 and if I went to 3 then it was 2000. So the way I figured it it would take me 2-3 years to get my money back. But like the others say it is a hobby and you can fine tune the loads for each gun.

Originally Posted By: deaddogwalkinIf I did it right on the reloading calculator link. I punched in where the brass price is the amount of what my reloading equipment cost. Just the basic stuff and came up with needing to reload about 4000 rounds to get it to where the cost per shell was below factory bought ammo. And that was just for one caliber. If I split it between 2 it took about 3000 and if I went to 3 then it was 2000. So the way I figured it it would take me 2-3 years to get my money back. But like the others say it is a hobby and you can fine tune the loads for each gun.

Your just not shooting enough!
thumbup.gif

Another thing to look at is that 9 times out of 10 your shooting better bullets for same price or cheaper then you can buy FMJ!! It's cheaper for me to shoot Nosler BT's then it is to shoot factory loaded FMJ's! And if I really wanna shot cheap for plinking I use reduced loads.

Here's another way I look at this. I refuse to shoot garbage ammo just to hear my guns go off. Very few factory bullets are as accurate as the ammo you can load. There are some out there, but your gonna pay a healthy price for it. Also, you only buy reloading equipment once ( if you take care of it) and you only buy brass a few times if you rotate your bullets and don't just wear the same cases out. So the cost of equipment really can't be figured into the cost of every bullet loaded, every time. No one said it was cheap, but it will pay for itself in a short period of time. I would think a lot less than 2-3 years.
In a given week-end, my buddy and myself may shoot a hundred rounds each out of several rifles. I bet I spend a lot less that he does, he shoot factory match ammo and I reload match ammo. Mine shoots mostly better and CHEAPER!!

I wasw just playing around to get a number. I agree that you get better ammo from reloading and you will shoot more. I have been reloading for almost 30yrs and the equipment isn't cheap to start out with but you can make it last for yrs. My dad has an old press that is over 50yrs old and still going strong. My press and reloading equipment has more than paid for itself. I was giving an example of if I was to buy a whole new set up it would take that many rounds to pay for it and make it cheaper to reload than buying factory ammo. It also gives me something to do when it is too hot to fish or shoot in the summer or to bad to be out calling in the winter(which isn't that much).

I started to roll my own about a year and a half ago. I invested a whole $150 or so for Lee's starter press plus another few of hundred or so in powder, primers and bullets. I have reloaded somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000 rounds or so. Not too much but enough to know how to reload correctly and safely and how to work up a load. I know I save money and my reloads are better than most factory ammo I have used. How much have I saved? How much better are my reloads? Really couldnt put a number on it but I know I havent spent a dime on ammo for 18 months and I shoot pretty clovers @ 100yds most of the time. (Depends on how hard the wind is blowing) Its therapy and economic. I also tie my own bugs for flyfishing. I havent bought a fly in almost 10 years. When I have (One of those days) few things make it go away. Reloading, fly tying, shooting, hunting and flyfishing are those few things. It is an inital investment but in the long run, it pays off in more ways than one. Happy Reloading.

Powerfisher- I hear ya. Bad day at work- go blow something up and come home feeling good. Somedays groups don't even matter. Just releasing all that anziety(sp) makes it all better!

The more you shoot the better you get and the better you get the more you appreciate the quality and accuracy of your work!!! It just feels good smackin a animal with your hard work!!!

I have inherited all of my reloading equipment. The only thing I bought was a tumbler, a couple sets of dies and a couple of pilots. I am fortunate enough to scrounge most of the brass I need from the local sand pits where the wanna be's go shoot their computers and all of the other junk they leave. I've accumulated enough brass to last me the rest of my life. The expendables is a different story. I can reload alot cheaper than most people round for round, but I spend alot on it.

I talked to my non-reloading buddy agin this week and he once again started to tell me his reasons for not reloading. Yada, Yada, Yada. Bottom line is he's to lazy and it would cut into his drinking time.
Long story short, We all(that do) know why we reload and you all that don't know why you don't.

After I bought my AR I couldn't save any money to start other projects. I was always at the range shooting. I'd go through a box of black hills or whatever in one session. There went $35 or so. It was hard to even buy ammo when I wanted to go shooting. One winter about a year and one half ago my lovely wife and father bought me a tumbler, 1000 small rifle primers, 1000 large rifle primers, bullets, dies, powder and the speer reloading manual. I haven't looked back since.

I thought this past winter I'd get myself all set up with reloads. All in all about 1000 rounds or so. I thought this would last through the spring, summer, fall. I was wrong. I think its almost all shot off, and am quickly contemplating the new hornady powder measure.

Your a fool if ya dont reload. Whether you buy match or the cheap stuff or whatever.

Well I figured out for what I buy in .223 is right around .44 cents a round and .22-250 is .75 cents a round. And what I just got through Midwayusa and few other people my first 400 rounds will cost me .80 cents a round to do myself but it will pay for its self in the long run. After doing that hand loading cost calculator the .223 will only cost me .19 cents a round and the .22-250 will be .24 cents a round... Plus I think it will be something else fun to do!

Back