My 6x45...Look I built a 12 pound rifle for coyote hunting

mattm

Many thanks to Mike at D Tech and Kevin at AGP in Tempe. I put this bad boy together from a Del Ton kit with an AGP lower and an Oly 6x45 stainless SUM barrel. Other goodies include a YHM free float tube,a Primary Arms scope mount and a RRA 2 stage trigger.

On its first trip out, after initial sight in to get on paper, rounds 12 to 16 went into 3/4 MOA at 100 yards with the first load I've put together using Rem bulk 80 gr 6mm SP bullets and some accurate 2015. I am now working on some tailored loads with Sierra 80 gr SP and some H4895 and some H322.

gunstuff_61010_005.JPG

gunstuff_61010_006.JPG

Last edited:
What make of dies are you using for the reloads? Have you puchased brass or have you necked-up & fire formed 5.56? When you neck up the brass, how much case trimming is done? Have you had to modify your 5.56 magazine to feed properly?

Last edited:
cdatdog,

I use Hornady dies. It's a real simple process to run a .223 case through the die and neck it up to 6mm. I champher the neck a bit and load it up. .223 Brass has been relativley cheap so I bought up a bunch a couple of years ago and have been using new cases. I haven't resized any yet.

Any magazine that works with a .223 will work with the 6x45.

The 6x45 in an AR platform is hard to beat for called coyotes. I use 75 gr. Sierra HPs.

IMG_5567.jpg

I'm using 26 grains of H335 and CCI 400 primers with Remington brass, and Sierra 75 gr. HP bullets. Good load, accurate and hard hitter.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06I'm using 26 grains of H335 and CCI 400 primers with Remington brass, and Sierra 75 gr. HP bullets. Good load, accurate and hard hitter.
Ok, I have been using 25gr of H335 and I may move it up to 26gr and see how it does. I have been using the Hornady 75 HPFB and like it alot, but I just got the Sierra's and only shot a few.

Thanks

Mbkmkk,

Have you taken yotes with the Hornady 75 HPFB? Just curious about performance with that bullet.

Years ago I had a heavy barrel 6mm Remington that I shot the Sierra 75 HPs in for groundhogs. I bought up a few boxes, but then later sold the rifle. After getting my Dtech 6x45, I decided to give the Sierras a try. The bullets shoot very well and have given some spectacular kills on both coyotes and bobcats, so I have stuck with that one. They don't blow up as much with the 6x45 as they did with the 6mm Remington. I have taken 4 coyotes and 4 bobcats with those bullets out of the 6x45. All shots completely penetrated from distances of about 40 yards to over 100 yards. Most exited about the size of a quarter, sometimes a little larger depending on where it hit.

I have also shot some heavier Sierra 85 gr. HP bullets and they do well too (on paper) with the limited shooting I did with them.

No, I have not done any hunting with the Hornady 75 HPFB or any of my 6x45's. I am leaving to AZ today to do some P-Dog hunting with my D-Tech in 243 WSSM and will be using 95gr Nosler B-Tips. The 95gr B-tip has worked the best as far as accuracy.

Originally Posted By: ColoradoOspreyI use Redding dies. No more trimming than a standard 223.
There is no need for any mag modifications with the 6x45.

This. Sorry for slow reply I was busy at work this week. I use Redding dies and 1x fired Hornady brass. I FL resize with 6x45 dies. Trim to length will a .223 case trimmer. Ream and chamfer as needed. No fire forming at all really. Brass seems to last so far. I have a batch on their third firing as 6x45 +1 as .223. I dont see this as a brass ruiner.

I use pmags in my 6x45. I block up a 20 rounder to 5 for hunting. Thats about it. Everything has worked as it should thus far.

Originally Posted By: mbkmkkNo, I have not done any hunting with the Hornady 75 HPFB or any of my 6x45's. I am leaving to AZ today to do some P-Dog hunting with my D-Tech in 243 WSSM and will be using 95gr Nosler B-Tips. The 95gr B-tip has worked the best as far as accuracy.

This is funny to me. When we want to shoot p-dogs in any real number we head to CO. There are some here in AZ but I would not call us a P-dog destination. I do want to go to CA and shoot some of those little ground squirrels you guys seem to have in droves though.

Just got back. Those P-Dogs are all over but very Small! We shot all kinds of them.

I talked with lots of people in Northern AZ and they told me that the P-Dog count is low this year.

Last edited:
Pyscodog,

Man I'm ashamed ot say that I don't remember the twist. Mike at Dtech built the rifle for me. It's a shooter with 75 gr. HPs.

Back