Guarantee on a dog.....

poser

When you sale a dog or pup, what are you selling.... What promises are you giving. What is you "GUARANTEE" on the finished, started dog or a 6 week old pup?

As a buyer, what are your expectations on buying a finished dog or a 6 week old pup. What do you look for.

Please share some of your ideas.

Thanks, jason

our guarantee on our terrier pups have been if your not happy with them return them to us.... never got one back yet.
as for other pups its been from like minded hunters,
adult dogs either come from dog peddlers or they have holes in them otherwise why would you part with them? jmo

I can't speak for a seller as i don't breed but as a buyer here's what i'd expect.
6 week pup-your on your own, i'd check out the parents and past litters and take a gamble.
finished dog- I'd want to hunt with the dog first, whether it be a bird dog or hound. Then hopefully you see what your getting. It's still a gamble just alot bigger one.
On either dog, pup or started. I would want to know as much as i could about the seller and his/her integrity, I think researching the seller pays off in any situtation then if they tell you the pros and cons of the dog you could believe them.
Just my opinion.

never sold to many finished dogs but have sold some pups, i guarantee if you leave them in the house long enough they will crap in the floor and if you leave them in the pen i guarantee they wont hunt, all kidding aside, on the pups i will try to tell you everything you want to know about the parents, but i cant guarantee that the pup will hunt, to many thing to go wrong, last litter i sold there were guys that got pups that hunt all the time and some of the pups still havent seen a coyote, so alot of it depends on the guy getting it. the few older dogs i have sold i try to tell all the good but also any holes in them, might be why nobody wants to buy a older dog off me, they find out theres more wrong then right, ha. if i'm buying a older dog, which is not to often, i hope the guy will do me the same, but i have sure seen some guys that wont, plus i want the strait up on the parents, do they sit in a pen most of the year or get to hunt alot, and how much is alot to you, i would rather buy a dog that somebody tells my they dont know alot then tell me they hunt all the time and find out different

As far as pups, a health guarantee is all I offer. Ive sold young started dogs ( I start trainig my pups by the time they are legal to sell) and tell the buyers what its done for me. So far Ive only sold one finished dog and buddy do I regret it.

I know it's different, but perhaps it has some relevancy.

"You can guarantee the Horse but you can't guarantee the Rider."

And along those same lines..."You hate to shoot the dog, but you can't shoot the owner."

Here's what I do Poser, don't know if it helps ya or not.
Pups off the tit have health Cert if the buyer wants one.
Started dogs, I try to get the buyer to hunt over them here, to see the dog work.
I always give a 30 day money back, no ?'s, so long as the dog is returned "uninjured" Any doubt is settled by a Vet.
I put all this in a sales contract, and I sign and buyer signs, we both get copies.
Don't know if it's the right way, just how I do it.
By the way, I did call ya the other night. Duane

When I was selling pups I gave no guarantee whatsoever.
If one ever died young I would replace it.
A pup is never going to be anything if not hunted hard and trained correctly. I cannot control that once it leaves my place.

Older hounds-Come try at my place.I will show the hound however that wish to see him/her. Once it was sold,it is their hound 100% period.

Guess the guarantee depends on how much faith you have in what your selling for a dog. I have no problem taking a dog back. I won't ever sell one "I'M NOT WILLING TO HUNT."

I used to take dogs back,no matter what.Problem with that was that I had one come back mean that did not have an ill hair on him when he left.The guy had him a couple months and must have hunted him with an aligator.
I sold another coon/cat hound that was a super nice hound.
The guy hunted him in hunts and shocked him off the cats.He later wanted to bring him back because he quit treeing due to him burning him alot at the tree.
I told him he was nuts if he thought he was getting his money back.
I never sell something I wouldnt hunt myself,but after some hunters have them a while,I wouldnt hunt them at all.

Originally Posted By: Duane@ssuGuess the guarantee depends on how much faith you have in what your selling for a dog.

Duane, to me the problem is not having faith in the pups or dogs it's who ends up with them. More people will ruin a dog instead of getting the full potential out of them....IMO. I have done it myself when getting started and have seen it first hand more then i want to. Anyone that has had dogs and had to start from scratch will agree with this...if they have learned anything. If not they are still ruining dogs.

I have faith in the stuff i run. Otherwise i wouldn't be breeding them. And there are 4 outfitters making there living with this type of hound. Not saying everyone of these dogs is gonna turn out but they have a good chance if they end up in the right hands.

One of the best pups i have raised i sold this last year. She was 8 months old when i sold her, had been on 15 lion 14 of them track to tree. Went on her first race at 5 months old. I sold her for $1,500.00 and the guy had another $500.00 or so in shipping and crate. Well, he gets her and takes her hunting and she doesn't do anything..... he said she wouldn't even bark at a house cat. I'm not sayin the guy ruined her but something happened to her that i couldn't control. Made me wish i wouldn't have ever sold her.

My dogs are all for sale for the right price. I ended up loosing my place to keep my dogs last year and i put every dog i owned up for sale. I wasn't holding back the good ones...."probably because i dont own one" but they were all listed. I have what i was left with and can get luck on the right day from time to time.

My point is some guys can take your cull and go catch game and another guy can take your "ace" and not catch a cold. Above anything else.....Dogs in the right hands makes all the difference.

This is one reason that i won't sale any 6 week old pups. It's nothing against who might get them but i can't compare apples to apples if they are in different hand and gettting started different ways. I will start all of my pups and sale them at 6 months old. That way i know what i have on the ground.

The best advice i can give to a buyer is go hunting with the dog...you are investing money so get off your lazy butts and invest some time. That way if things don't work out with your new dogs you can try to figure out what it is your doing wrong instead of blabbing your mouth on the internet about how you got screwed. We all hunt different and some dogs won't fit out style. Figure out what works for you.

On the other side of this is the guys that have dogs out of ole so and so that is bred to magic man......don't even hunt the poor dogs and are selling pups left and right. As a buyer, you can cut through the crap pretty fast if you will take the time to go hunting with them. Probably the minute you pull into their yard you will know.

My guarantee...they will eat and poop. Haven't had one returned yet!!!!!

Take care, jason

P.S. Duane, first crop is on the ground and i hope thing are gonna slow down. Be givin you a call....

Jason, you make a very good point, I just pray that even a nitwit can't "ruin" a started dog in a month????
I don't sell any "started dogs" till at least 8 months, and most older than that. I hope it continues to work out???
Jason, I did call ya, then got busy again, call when you are freed up. Any time is fine.

Around here, most people give trails that are written up in a contract, & signed by both parties for dogs that are $1,000 or more. Anything less than $1,000 no guarantees or trials. I wouldn't buy or sell a dog without first hunting it, unless I knew the buyer or seller very well & trusted there word.

Originally Posted By: Ben JimmyAround here, most people give trails that are written up in a contract, & signed by both parties for dogs that are $1,000 or more. Anything less than $1,000 no guarantees or trials. I wouldn't buy or sell a dog without first hunting it, unless I knew the buyer or seller very well & trusted there word.

Ben, on a trial....who decides if the dog is returned in the same condition or if they had something wrong to begin with. For me, too many variables. We are in control of our own decisions....noone is making us buy the dog but once you hand over the money and my collar is pulled from the dog he or she is yours.

Both parties will save themselves alot of headache if the buyer is willing to invest some time and actually see the dog in the woods. Another thing i didn't mention is a vet check before the dogs exchanges hands. Just my recommendations.

I have seen "good guys" have a difference of opinion on a dog and it ending up in a bad deal too many times. It can all be avoided pretty easily.

Take care, jason

Jason, I'm with you on that, I think a trial should be extended on a high dollar dog.(High dollar being determined by the buyer, I guess) Like you said any dog worth more than a few hundred bucks is probably worth taking the time to go check out in person.

i have hunted over duanes dogs twice in the last 6 months i can vouch for the training and professional manner in which he trains and works the dogs nothing but the best.

Last edited:
you earned it man i think i lost 10 pounds in 4 days even with stuffing myself at dinner, your calling skills are with best out there, anyone that can call in dogs with a 35 mph wind at our backs is nothing less than a pro.

Back