.223 loads for 52 and 55 bullets (same powder?)

I bought a bottle of IMR 8208 XBR for my 223, and it loves it. Been using H -4895, but this XBR actually shoots better. I'm using 24 gns over a 55 gn Blitz King and a Remmy 7.5 primer.

Originally Posted By: RustydustOriginally Posted By: Orneryolfart357Rustydust... You like Varget with this light of bullet? I have never tried it, But I have a couple pounds waiting in the wings...

Absolutely!

The load of 26 grains of Varget and the 50 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip was advised to me several years ago by a friend when he was having good luck with it in his personal .223 rifle. Not only was it accurate, it has become my most used rifle load of all time. I used it for thousands of rounds in my Savage before making it into a .223 Ackley.

+1 on the Varget. My T/C Contender's favorite .223 food is a 55 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip on top of Varget. I've also found Varget to shoot well in the .22-250 with Hornadays.

Not to stir up controversy, but I think it should be noted that some say that the use of match bullets should be avoided anywhere there is not a a dedicated rifle range backstop.

The theory and/or real concern being the full jacket can make these more prone to ricochet and since they will retain their shape, they can fly farther after an initial impact. I'm not saying this has happened to me, but I think anyone loading these bullets for anything but target shooting with a backstop should at least be aware that some view this as an area of concern.

Grouse

Reading through the posts here in this thread got me thinking that you have to work REAL hard to find a powder that doesn't shoot. I'm talking the usual suspect powders for use in 223's.
I've had ecellent luck with H-335, TAC, H-4995, H-322, N-133, RL-7, IMR-4198, 748, Bl(c)2, Benchmark, Varget, and probably some more I can't think of at the moment.
I'm talking 3 shots at 100 yards in 1/2", or less, with every powder I mention here. But, a caveat; not all bullets shot the same kind of accuracy. I'd have to do some tweaking with each Powder/Bullet/Primer to get this kind of accuracy.
I get the same kind of results in 222's and 222 Mag's with all of these powders.

Originally Posted By: Martyn4802Reading through the posts here in this thread got me thinking that you have to work REAL hard to find a powder that doesn't shoot. I'm talking the usual suspect powders for use in 223's.
I've had ecellent luck with H-335, TAC, H-4995, H-322, N-133, RL-7, IMR-4198, 748, Bl(c)2, Benchmark, Varget, and probably some more I can't think of at the moment.
I'm talking 3 shots at 100 yards in 1/2", or less, with every powder I mention here. But, a caveat; not all bullets shot the same kind of accuracy. I'd have to do some tweaking with each Powder/Bullet/Primer to get this kind of accuracy.
I get the same kind of results in 222's and 222 Mag's with all of these powders.

I would tend to agree. Plus, very few shooters can test enough loads and in controlled conditions such that minor variations caused by outside factors are minimized and the real accuracy of each load can be seen. Also, of course, there's the skill of the shooter, which is usually taken for granted after all we're all capable of putting 5 in one hole at 100 if only the load and the gun would let us, right?
rolleyes.gif

Also agree that the bullet seems to me to have a bigger overall effect than the powder. To reduce cost, I've managed to work up loads that use the same powder and work very well across several rifles. It's really nice and more cost effective because I can buy 8 pounds of powder at once.

Grouse

Back