Summer coyote hunting?

Originally Posted By: Duane@ssuWhat your intent is, is the deciding factor of whether or not to hunt in the spring/summer.
I want to reduce yote numbers, I hunt the heck outta them in the spring/summer. I also use decoy dogs, and this is the time of year the yotes are the most aggresive to the dogs.
If you are a recreational hunter, and want the pups to live, by sept first they are all big enough to make it without a mom.
Not saying I am right, or anyone else is wrong, we all make our choices to meet our goals.
Mojo decoys are a great choice,they can increase your odds.

What's this? Someone actually being reasonable and making room for the opinion of others? Good for you Duane.We all have our reasons for what we do. I'm gonna put the hurt on some badgers tomorrow if all goes well.

as far as the pup issue goes i've killed 4 yotes in the past 2 wks. one old male and three young females. the females weren't carrying nor nursing. i'm guessin last years pups. i just don't think the momma yotes are out prowling much. just my opinion. and besides your main reason to hunt them is to help out local game bird populations from the way it sounds. so if you do shoot a mom and if it starves the pups which is unlikely aren't you further serving your purpose? i say kill'em good hunting

I hunt them during the summer months, because when deer season starts im in the deer stand almost all of deer season. Ill do some coyote hunting when its cold in fall and winter. Then when deer season is over its breeding time and time for howls and lots of vocalizations yet still cool outside.

I have access to over 100,000 acres to hunt though. I do find myself making less and less sets during the summer months lol. Heres afew spring/summer yotes from this year.

DSCF0712.jpg

yote.jpg

ayote3.jpg

Paws & Claws, Last saturday nite my brother who lives south of Moorhead called and said he had 2 yotes across field a half mile from his place in a ditch. I got there around 45 minutes later, set up my CS-24 tried the jack distress, they came out of the ditch a little ways and stopped. I than switched to the pup distress and they came at a full run to 300 yards out and stopped, I got a shot off but only wounded 1 (somedays the gods are with me, just not today).

I don't hunt as hard in the summer as the fall and winter months but if I get a call I will go and see what will come in to a call or not. I use a 22-250 but I am looking to get an RRA in 223 for a quicker fallow up on multiple targets,

I'm finding out fast that this time of year can be fun to hunt yotes in MN. They come on a dead run when you hit the pup distress. As far as the moral dilema some guys have with letting the air out of mama or young pups this time of year, no matter the age or size of it I'm going to drop them. Your game birds and deer will thanks you for it.

Back