Marlin XS7 in .22-250

Bill B.

Hey guys, just wanted to let anyone know that might be interested I got to shoot a prototype Marlin XS7 in .22-250 this week. The rifle was heavy barrel, laminated, thumbhole stock. Sorry, no photos or targets to show.

However, while I don't know what the MSRP will be it was a real shooter. Smooth bolt, good trigger, and it looked good to boot.

I jumped on the chance to shoot it because about six weeks ago I got my son an XS7Y in 7mm-08 but have not shot it yet. The scope for it should be in today and now I'm pretty excited about getting it to the range to see if it performs like the .22-250.

BGB...an early release model,eh....who do you know!!!...can't believe Marlin has been so slow in releasing a .224 caliber offering...ques...what was the twist rate & barrel length,if ya know.

CL,
Yeah, you could say I know a few folks on the inside. The tube on the rifle I shot was 24" and I think the twist was 1:14. I'm guessing there may be a few changes before release but I tried to get the rifle shipped to me as is. Unfortunately, I was turned down.

I also got to shoot the new Remington Modular Sniper Rifle (MSR) in .300 win mag. It was the supressed version and it was sweet! I am not nor have ever been a military sniper so I can't say how well it would be in the field but on the bench it was a nice rifle. Recoil was maybe a little more than a .223 and the supressor really tamed the report.

I've talked to 2 fellas at the marlin marketing desk (at the remington #)...hoping they were marlin folks...suggest'n a 1 in 9"twist on a XL action with long throat for heavier(longer) .224 bullets...

lotsa folks are shoot'n deer & antelope with 22/250 factory ammo with the heavier,properly constructed bullets....especially ladies and youth that can't deal with a larger chambering....

if ya concur on twist rate,whisper into their ears (even on XS action) (grin'n).....

i figure any company that would introduce a new design AND offer it in 25/06 would be open to the idea of a fast twist offerring in a .224 caliber.

Last edited:
I have an xs7 originally a .243 that I converted to a 22-250.
I bought an Adams&Bennett Savage 110 heavy varmint barrel 1:14 Twist a savage barrel wrench and go gauge from Midway for about 200 bucks and did the switch over. Was very impressed with accuaracy at 100 yards using factory ammo. Can easily shoot 1/2 to 3/4 inch 5 shot groups at 1oo yards. Great set up for under 500 bucks. just my two cents.

Adams&Bennett makes a .224 barrel in a 1-8 twist as I almost bought one when I put a new barrel on my Inter-Arms MARK X. I went with the 1-14 and now I wish I'd gone 1-8.

I was holding out for the XS7 in 22-250. Marlin was to introduce it at this years Shotshow. Never happened. Shortly after that, the doors were shut. I just wanted a light easy carry gun. IMO, the Marlin offered more benny's for the buck then the other low end rifle's. Went w/a 243 an couldn't have been happier. I may opt someday for a 22-250, 1/14 sporter type barrel, as I like shooting the light stuff.

Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsMost custom barrel makers will make an 8" twist and many even faster in .224.

Jack

+1

I run Rock 8 twists on some of my 22-250 ( 75gr Amax ) and have been very pleased with the results.

Back