c56493b4.jpg

0e36d43b.jpg

9992047b.jpg

ac844383.jpg

e3473600.jpg

728107ca.jpg

c2e82905.jpg

d908d3ae.jpg

It has been my experience. Both coyotes & Red Fox spend the vast majority of their time on the down wind. If I had to est around 95% or better of their time. Is spent on the down-wind side of structure. Structure meaning, hills, timber, fencelines, whatever blocks the prevailing wind. Otherwise, their facing a down wind direction when bedded.

Whether their traveling, hunting milling around or bedded. I see them on those areas. Only time I've ever seen either canine on the "up-wind". Was when they were traveling from point A to point B. Even when on the up-wind, they'll angle or cut the wind zig-zagging as they travel. Mainly, I focus my hunting efforts scanning the down-wind areas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: misterfuzzerI love reading your stuff and looking at the pics. Keep 'em coming!
+ 1. Love your posts Kirby. I learn a ton of stuff from you. Thank you for your insights.

Well thanks. I attempt to offer visual info & verbal blather. To assist a hunter in understanding the habits of their quarry. Et, to become a better hunter.

These canines were out in the open. Otherwise, I don't see any or very few of them any given day. They spend the majority of any given daytime, in cover. I see coyotes or Reds, about 10% of the time I hunt. The other 90% of the time[daytime hrs], their well hidden from view[in cover]. Especially the coyotes.

Here are some more, on the down-wind side.
b365c75f.jpg

ac303d12.jpg

I took this pic of a balled-up Red from the up-wind. Red is facing down-wind towards the houses off in the distance. Even on relatively flat terrain. They[coyotes or Reds] will still use any structure as a wind brake. Putting their back or shoulder against the wind. Doesn't matter if the wind is 1-2mph or 40mph, samo...samo.
ce437f8f.jpg

Bedded coyote out near the 1/2 mile fenceline intersect. Coyote is on a drifted fenceline, on the down-wind side.
7e96f534.jpg

Coyote, what a beaut! I missed him of course. Down wind side, duh LOL!
0c47fac9.jpg

Red
6db90eb2.jpg

Coyote zig-zagging/neandering a cross the wind. Hunting a picked corn field.
b8d79c0b.jpg

Pr of coyotes running/playing along the down wind side of the fenceline.
059a24ba.jpg

ac7a5d21.jpg

a71aff71.jpg

If you haven't figured this out by now? I can't hep ya LOL!

Last edited:
A few more. Wind to their backside.
07984c28.jpg

cf410ef9.jpg

1490a400.jpg

177d6ad6.jpg

4c372865.jpg

c75ebc33.jpg

166d3553.jpg

Most of the terrain I hunt. Is open rolling cropland. Unless there is patch of timber in the immediate area. A caller will play heck getting a coyote to come your way. On this 1-square mile open farmland. The coyotes tend to hang around the center area, out to within 1/4 mile from the roadways.

Reds, on the other hand. Mainly hang around the outer 1/4 mile of these mile sections. I find the opposing behaviors interesting.

I'll spot a bedded canine from long range. Once I triangulated it's coordinance in the hills. I'll make a stalk-in plan, according to the wind direction, wind speed & available cover/hills to get me within rifle range. I prefer to stalk in angled from their up-wind.
As I've found I can get much closer without getting busted/[heard].

I've found, that although Red Fox have incredible hearing like the coyotes. Reds tend not go into alert as readily. As they pay closer attention to higher pitched sounds. Rather than a hunter making loud foot step sounds. It's the slight snaps & crunchs, they'll quickly peg you position.

Flipside, coyotes pay attention to everything.

Last edited:
A few more down-wind.

Camera is facing East, wind from the North. I stopped on a hill to glass some distant down wind slopes. Coyote 5/8 mile out looking my way.
d391c43f.jpg

ababb94d.jpg

Coyote hunkered in a fenceline drift 1/4 mile out[looking my way]. Typicially they bed farther out into a section. Once in awhile around the 1/4 mile.
37cb6672.jpg

8db486d8.jpg

Another coyote hunkered in a drifted 1/2 mile fenceline.
fbc80b33.jpg

Coyote out atad over the 1/2 mile. I 1st seen it's ears sticking upright when I initially scanned the hills. I then drove further to a higher hill top for a better view. Then I could see the top 1/2 of it's body. Coyote seen me then & never took it's eyes off of my truck.
4e6096ad.jpg

7227174b.jpg

Another coyote on a 1/2 mile drifted fenceline. As soon as I shut my truck off. Coyote turned it's head my way. You can see the front cone of it's ears pointed in my direction. It eventually raised it's head to see me, then left.
a00c636f.jpg

You stalk in on one bedded, or walk into a stand. From the down-wind. You'll increase your odds of being seen or heard. If so, then stay hidden the whole way & stay very quiet on the way in.

Last edited:
In the 90's in the Dakotas before mange took out the majority of the fox, this is virtually all we did. We called the first stand in the morning and last one in the evening and stalked all the rest of the day. It was one of the most enjoyable ways to hunt. The reds are slowly making a comeback and we get a few coyote stalks in a year as well, but it isn't like it used to be.

A fox is by far the easier target to sneak up on as with a coyote, you need very good snow conditions, hopefully some obstruction to hide your approach, and a bit of luck. Always be careful of the animal's slighest movements as if you see movement they are probably looking at you. If you see movement, stop, because if you stand totally still for long enough, many times they will put their heads back down and go back to sleep as their eyesight is sensitive to movement. If they tuck back in, this will allow you to get into a shooting position or continue your sneek.

Great pictures. Coyotes and fox are very pedictable as you have shown. When spotting we used to pull up to the top of a hill, you could virtually look over a whole section and pretty much know if there was a bedded animal exactly where he would be. Spot and stalk is a great way to hunt.

As you have said, wind and sunshine are the primary factors as they will always be laying out of the wind soaking up sunshine whenever possible during the winter months. If they have to choose between the two, wind almost always wins. This is the reason why a bright sunny day in the winter time with a Northerly wind was always great stalking because fox and coyotes could be out of the wind and soaking up sunshine at the same time. I have stalked both fox and coyote at temps below -20 but as long as the sun was shining and they were out of the wind, they were nice and cozy.

Thanks for sharing your experience & knowledge/skills, kirsh.

I've hunted hundreds & hundreds of overcast [no Sun] Winter days. As well as many of them being well below zero WC. Et still seen both canines lay out. Maybe there is abit of truth? to the Sunshine. But I'm not convinced. The wind direction always trumps, where they bed & where on the terrain they travel.

Coldest I seen a coyote lay out was -40WC. Seen many Reds & coyotes lay out on -upper 20WC days many times.

Kirby, as I stated as well, wind does trump sun, but if both coincide, it makes it even better. I have also killed many on days with absolutely no sun. What I am saying more specifically is if the sun is shining when you go, a coyote/fox will try to use both to their advantage. I have seen fox move out of their cover to continue to catch the sun once it moved off the animal as long as it could still stay out of the wind. The key is if the sun is shining, you can use it to help locate where the coyotes usually are along with the wind. I don't have any proof of this besides tons of experience but it seems like the fox sleep better on sunny days where they can really soak up the sunshine.

The other advantage is if the coyote or fox has to look into the sun, it is much harder to spot your approach.

I have no clue how cold it has been WC when I have hunted. All I know is I have killed too many fox to remember on days when most people didn't even want to step foot out of the house well below -10 actual temps. There was one day where the actual temp was -28 and there was a stiff breeze and I almost killed a quad on fox. I have killed 3 in one spot on a stalk a few times but should have had 4 that day. The first one I got sleeping, the 2nd popped up and I dusted it as it sprang up, the third came up out of a little dip when it awoke from the first 2 shots and I drilled it and 4th headed for Dodge. I got it to stop before it vanished over the hill, and I just misjudged the distance. 4 on one stalk with a bolt rifle would have been a tough one to beat at least for me.

I miss those days but calling coyotes is fun too. We hunted many days this winter where the actual temperature was below -30 in the morning when we started out and wind chills far below that. It is tough to walk to the first stand when it is this cold. Nothing likes to work well when it gets that cold. Keep up the great pictures.

10-4.
Interestinly enough. Not all is cut & dried, I'm sure you've seen the same. I've hunted perfect weather days & driven many miles, scanned many hills & never seen a thing. Flipside has also happened. Whereas a hunter in his right mind wouldn't go on a brutal day. But I have & do LOL!

Another balled-up Red from last season. Down wind side.
b8215a2e.jpg

Farm tractor moving corn stalk bales. Out by the 1/2 mile. Kicked up a family group. Here are two of them on the down-wind side of a hill. One running, one sitting along the fenceline facing down-wind, my way.
df9cfa7c.jpg

Coyote bedded in a draw, down-wind.
5ce1c923.jpg

Large grey balled-up on a fenceline drift.
28f7f110.jpg

Part of another family group, milling around on the down-wind. There was 7 in this group.
2bbc0be8.jpg

Last edited:
It makes me want to have some snow right now!lol. I once stalked a fox with a -58 wind chill, (old ratings) the firing pin failed to set off the primer on first shot, I had to shoot from up wind, it wasn't laying where I expected it to be. It heard or smelled me and took off just as I hurriedly took a shot, missed. It was a tough walk back to the truck, had to walk backwards 1/2-2/3rds of the way, used a glove stuffed into the side of my 2 face masks to stop my ear from freezing! The fox was laying almost out in the open, open plowed field, maybe a short clump to block some of the wind, it looked like a big male.

"walk backwards"? We must be related? Those are the times, a hunter considers he might be crazy? LOL!

I've stuck my hands down the inside of my underwear & clamped my thighs together to thaw out my hands. In order to get my truck keys out of my pocket. One time a farmer drove slowly by me staring, "wondering"? I suspect. He kept on driving
wink.gif

Back