Introducing......The "GunnerCam" (Story, pics, and video)

TonyTebbe

A while back, Scott Milk had a post about the new ContourHD 1080p video camera. A very small, lightweight, strongbuilt video camera that was designed for extreme sports. It can be mounted to your hat, your gun, 4wheeler, skydiving, etc... Well, I immediately got the idea of a "Gunner Cam" and proceeded to save up for one. I purchased it and it's been sitting in my house for the past 3 weeks, just waiting for the right time. Well, I got a chance to take it to the field, yesterday.

First a little background about yesterday. We were on Day 3 of a 3 day hunt with a my client Ken Waite. We've been having a tough hunt with heat and coyotes were just not moving, day or night. We had 6 coyotes called up in 2 days and I was digging deep to pull out a white rabbit on this hunt. I already got him to bust his "coyote cherry" on the day before (after 2-3 misses on others) and now it was time to put it all together. We were only going to hunt till 10:30am on the last day, as he need to head home.

Final Day
Something was different (though as humans we couldn't sense it) about yesterday morning. Game was moving and moving good. As soon as we got to the ranch, we spotted a coyote crossing the road in front of us. I drove past the coyote and made a 1/2 mile circle around it and got us in position downwind of it, with the sun in our favor. It didn't take but about 8 seconds on the handcall and we had the coyote charging right in. He stayed out about 50 yards and tried to work his way around us to get downwind. Bark, Stop, Boom...and a Miss!

ken1.jpg
ken2.jpg

Gunner took off after the coyote, but he was gone out of the country from the shot. I kept calling and here came a second one that about ran into my client. Gunner took off after this one, as well. I toned him back with his collar and the coyote proceeded to drop on it's haunches and bark and howl at Gunner. Gunner tried stalking him, but I toned him back to me again and the coyote chased him into our laps. It was so exciting that I just about forgot to click the camera...let alone get it in focus
smile.gif

ken12.jpg
ken13.jpg

This went on for a while and ended up with another miss.
smile.gif
I was kicking myself for not having the video camera with me, but with the way the calling had been going the prior 2 days, I was too focused on just getting coyotes called up.

Next Stand
We drove down the road to make a new stand. This time, I decided to try the maiden voyage of my new "Gunner Cam" to see how it would work. I'm glad I did.

We slipped out and got in the shade of a mesquite bush and I started squalling jackrabbit distress on my Extreme call. It didn't take but about 15 seconds of calling before I spotted a pair of coyotes charging in from 1/4 mile or so. I got Ken to re-situate his gun, for where I expected them to bust onto the scene.

The coyotes crested a small rise in front of us. The lead dog worked it's way around us to get downwind, while the 2nd one decided to charge straight in on us. I don't think it even came to a stop, before Ken dropped it in it's tracks. Gunner charged out and proceeded to make sure the coyote was dead. I didn't get a photo of it, as it happened so fast, so I swung onto the 2nd coyote and started snapping pics, and laying out the ki-yi.

ken5.jpg
ken4.jpg

ken6.jpg

I finally got it stop and Ken dropped it. His first double!! Needless to say, he was absolutely stoked about it. A few high-fives, pats on the back, and one major smile!
smile.gif
We called up another coyote, later in the morning, before we called it a day and Ken headed home. He had a good time, for being a hot, 110 degree, summer hunt and will be coming back in November, to do it again.

ken7.jpg
ken8.jpg

ken9.jpg

Here is the:

GunnerCam Exclusive Video

Warning: If you have motion sickness or weak stomach for blood...don't watch it.
Click on the video while it's playing to see a larger version in a new window.

I'm planning on using the GunnerCam on most hunts and intermixing the video with my main video camera. Should make for some neat POV (point of view) footage to share with hunting dog lovers.

Thought I'd share.

Tony

Great video Gunner! Great pictures Tony and the video was really cool too.

I watched the time and it looks like it took Gunner 4 seconds after the shot to reach the coyote!

I got a kick out of Gunner growling and barking at the coyote when it came in close. The video also showed how Gunner dropped his chew toy and came to attention when the second shot was fired.

Great job Tony and Gunner.

that was pretty neat. does the jagd/cross you are working with actually go out and decoy the coyote back? i would like to see more dog coyote interaction.

Thanks guys. It's not much of a video, but will come in really handy as supplemental to the main video camera. Picture in Picture kind of thing. Wish I could of caught the decoying action from the first stand. It was pretty intense and something that every decoy dog owner dreams of.

Dixie, my jagd/cur cross works much further out and decoys quite well. My issue with her, in her young career, is that she's beginning to get too aggressive and actually ran 2 coyotes, back to back, off on stands. I need to focus some more time working with her, but don't want to do it during a customer's hunt. She'll be back on coyotes in a week or so.

Bob, that was actually me growling and barking to get the coyote to stop.

Appreciate it.

Tony

Very cool Tony!!! I've seen a lot of guys video their rides on motorcycle forums. Those cameras are really great quality in a small package. I think it would be nice to use one on your hat bird hunting too.

Tony, that was awesome!! Leave it to you to come up with the Gunner cam LOL.. Your always thinking aren't ya
thumbup.gif
Very cool idea!! Kerry

The new camera looks great, the picture in picture thing will be really cool. Is there any way you can mount it above his head so we can see what he's looking at. Kind of like a helment cam.

That's the plan Duane. Called 11 coyotes on this hunt and only 1 of them decoyed. Of course, on a stand before I pulled out the cam. It'll be a discipline to strap it on Gunner each time, but it'll be worth it.

yfzduner450, I tried multiple mounting options on Gunner in the yard for the past couple weeks. The head mount, just don't work. He shakes his head too violently to keep a camera on. I tried mounting between his shoulder blades. It gets good footage when his head is down, but terrible when his head is up. A side mount is what I found works the best...so far.

Thanks...

Tony

Back