Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#1618077 - 06/15/10 12:42 PM Re: Culling dogs...... [Re: DoubleCK]
Chris_Brice Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Iowa
Basically when it comes to hunting dogs (pets and companions being differnt) I'm not gonna bash on anyone for culling too hard. There are far too many people breeding and hunting dogs that refuse to cull in the name as the almighty dollar. The number of 3 year old "barely started" dogs being sold is amazing. It's been my experience that most of the dogs listed as started are really dogs that don't make the cut. Sure some dogs have been just sitting in the kennal but a good number of them have seen plenty of woods time and just plain suck.

Lack of culling and the almighty dollar has ruined a good many of the the coonhound strains. Cur's won't be far behind at the current rate.

CB

#1618113 - 06/15/10 01:47 PM Re: Culling dogs...... [Re: Chris_Brice]
FloridaCracker Offline

Loc: North Central Florida Flatwood...
I have seen some very good dogs come from mediocre stock and a bunch that came out of champs that did not make what I would call a good dog, I am just saying if I am starting out with a pup he has to come from good hunting stock. A lot of the dogs that I will cull are the dogs that are good average hunters by the end of their second season who showed potential early, but at that age they need to be one that I can put on a track or cast with confidence. I would rather take a chance on a younger dog with potential making a crackerjack than feed a pack dog. I keep remembering the line from catdawg about lowering my standards to my pack or raising my pack to my standards.

#1619088 - 06/17/10 01:07 AM Re: Culling dogs...... [Re: FloridaCracker]
Duane@ssu Offline
Retired moderator

Loc: Gods Country
Funny how diff guys have diff ideas. Some of the guys get cussed for started pups to young, some for startin them to late. Some like papers, some like pics and video of the parents and past litters.Some willing to "cull" at 1 year, some willin to feed a dink for "ever".
I'm not willin to say who is right or wrong, just "feed what ya like,like what ya feed," This has been around for years, but in today's world I would like to add somethin....
"Don't sell dinks".

"IF YOU'RE GONNA TALK SMART,YOU BETTER RIDE A FAST HORSE"

#1619139 - 06/17/10 07:51 AM Re: Culling dogs...... [Re: Duane@ssu]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Loc: nowheresville
I reckon I'm not like some dog guys. I don't believe in killing pups or yearlings, just because they don't turn out/stack-up to be a "great dog". Or the cream of the crop.

I'm talking mainly about people that breed looking for the "perfect dog". I don't believe for one minute there is such a thing, as "a World class dog". They all have their flaws, minute as they might be.

I agree a dog that is less than par. Shouldn't be sold/or given away, without it's past history given to the potential owner. I've seen that too. Not cool.

Most of the hounds we had, were bought from other fox/coyote hunters. Most we knew or have heard about their reputation from houndsman we trusted. Best I recall, we were burnt once? on a non-hacker. Most often we used our hounds in pr's or groups. Each hound, filling in the gap[s] or lesser abilities of the other dog.

One of our old hunting bud's. Bought/[very expensive] two greyhound X's. They were fox/coyote dogs. They were 1/2 German Shepherd & 1/2 Greyhound. Both male litter mates, both very large, thick bodied & all the fight you could hope for. They were holy terrors.

Bad thing was, eventually they turned out to be livestock killers. Killed, is what they got. That I understand.

Edited by kirby (06/17/10 09:57 AM)

#1619144 - 06/17/10 08:01 AM Re: Culling dogs...... [Re: kirby]
kirby Offline
PM senior

One more thing. Anyone that actually believes for one minute. You have the "perfect dog" or cream of the crop. Then hunt that dog alone on a fresh [non-shot] coyote. You will find out in short oder, what your dog lacks.

#1619201 - 06/17/10 10:17 AM Re: Culling dogs...... [Re: kirby]
kirby Offline
PM senior

My pup Jack[around 6 months old], all greyhound. Had him when I was a teenager. This dog was very mature acting when even as a pup. He could be running down a rabbit full stride. Once I would call his name, he would immediately halt & come right to me, right now.

Gave him to one of our hunting buds, as I couldn't take care of him when I was young[no job]. Old friend would take Jack to work with him over the yrs. Buddy would leave water & food in his truck & let Jack out for relief on his work breaks.

Old friend could point out his truck window on the way home from work. Seeing a distant Red speck on the Winter snow. Friend would say "sick'em" & point towards the distant fox. Once Jack would see the red speck, he would go into alert. Friend would let him go. Jack would run out, catch & kill that fox. Bringing it back to my friends truck like a retriever dog.

One day Jack was turned loose "alone". On a relatively fresh 47 lb female coyote. Coyote kicked his rump good, a couple of times. Jack couldn't do it alone, no doubt.

Should've Jack been "culled"?
IMO, no but was worthy as a good hunting dog.

Edited by kirby (06/17/10 10:18 AM)

#1619208 - 06/17/10 10:24 AM Re: Culling dogs...... [Re: Chris_Brice]
RePete Offline
PM senior

Loc: Idaho (Clearwater County)
Originally Posted By: Chris_Brice

Lack of culling and the almighty dollar has ruined a good many of the the coonhound strains. Cur's won't be far behind at the current rate.

CB

Amen!!!

#1619212 - 06/17/10 10:31 AM Re: Culling dogs...... [Re: kirby]
kirby Offline
PM senior

My pup "Blue". She was part Greyhound & part Scottish Deerhound.

She was my pet & hunting dog. Guys I hunted with made fun of her & razzed me for keeping her. She wasn't very aggressive as a pup. My Mother made me get rid of her when I was a teenager. I gave her to our old farmer houndsman friend, down by Creston Iowa. He only kept her for breeding stock, as she grew quite large, lanky & had some speed.

One day his hounds bayed a coyote in a brush pile. One by one, each of their best dogs was sent in the hole to pull that coyote out. That coyote had turned around in the brush pile & awaited each dog with a face full of ivory. After a short fight, each dog backed out, they 'd had their fill.

Out of frustration [I reckon]. Old Blue just happended to be along on that hunt. Clyde went & got her out of his dog box to try. He told her "sick'em" Blue. Blue went straight in & fought that coyote face to face for quite awhile. She eventually pulled that coyote out of the brushpile by the side of it's face. Clyde was surprised about how old Blue turned out to be a good dog after all.

#1619855 - 06/18/10 08:12 PM Re: Culling dogs...... [Re: kirby]
Devin69 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Craig Colorado
Originally Posted By: kirby
I reckon I'm not like some dog guys. I don't believe in killing pups or yearlings, just because they don't turn out/stack-up to be a "great dog". Or the cream of the crop.

I'm talking mainly about people that breed looking for the "perfect dog". I don't believe for one minute there is such a thing, as "a World class dog". They all have their flaws, minute as they might be.

That is a sad statement. If you are not breeding with the perfect dog in mind ( even though you wont get it) then you shouldn't be breeding a dog period. That is why there are so many culls today. Too many people breed a dog just to get pups with no intent on getting or breeding for a great dog or a perfect dog. JMO

#1619940 - 06/18/10 10:29 PM Re: Culling dogs...... [Re: Devin69]
trapper2 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: north central okla
good post devin, if your not looking for the prefect dog then just go to the pound and pick one.

#1620034 - 06/19/10 01:16 AM Re: Culling dogs...... [Re: trapper2]
Duane@ssu Offline
Retired moderator

Loc: Gods Country
Kirby, there is a "pack of dogmen" here that believe we can find the "perfect dog".
Some say there is "no such thing", but it is the goal for some of us, we share ideas, and traits, and diff blood, honestly,we also cull all the dinks. We have a common goal, and work together to get closer to it.
You seem to be pretty high on your dogs, thats great.
Other guys that are breeding for certain traits are high on theirs.
Just remember what you feed and are high on, wouldn't get a "3 day stay in some kennels"
Just as what I feed and am high on, wouldn't get a "3 day stay in your kennel".
This forum is a place to express ideas, all are welcome whether anyone agrees or not.

"IF YOU'RE GONNA TALK SMART,YOU BETTER RIDE A FAST HORSE"

#1620060 - 06/19/10 07:49 AM Re: Culling dogs...... [Re: Duane@ssu]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Originally Posted By: Duane@ssu
Kirby, there is a "pack of dogmen" here that believe we can find the "perfect dog".
Some say there is "no such thing", but it is the goal for some of us, we share ideas, and traits, and diff blood, honestly,we also cull all the dinks. We have a common goal, and work together to get closer to it.
You seem to be pretty high on your dogs, thats great.
Other guys that are breeding for certain traits are high on theirs.
Just remember what you feed and are high on, wouldn't get a "3 day stay in some kennels"
Just as what I feed and am high on, wouldn't get a "3 day stay in your kennel".
This forum is a place to express ideas, all are welcome whether anyone agrees or not.

Well that is good Duane, especially your last sentence. Kennel? We never had so called "kennels" As in breeding & selling dogs, as well as killing/[culling in this matter] non-hacker dogs. The perfect dog? A eutopian dream at best. I would like to know of or hear about the "perfect dog". Must be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars? You think? I fully understand about people killing what they don't like or don't meet, their so called "high standards".

Let me put it this way. Anyone of you. Your best dog, can it match or supercede the "short list"/see[worthy coyote dog] thread? If so, lets hear about them. The list I refer to on my thread? If not, then your standards apparently are not all that high. We were never into making a buck off of our dogs. We hunted them, & we traded them. Some we gave away to other hunters we knew. They did the same in return. It wasn't a business. When we sold, traded or give away a dog. We explained/informed everything we knew about that dog's abilities/history or lack thereof. The new owner knew what they were getting.

As for me being a "bleeding heart" really? What I believe is. I put a higher value/[non-monetary gain mind you] on a dogs life, than some.

Edited by kirby (06/19/10 09:38 AM)

#1620067 - 06/19/10 08:34 AM Re: Culling dogs...... [Re: kirby]
gonzaga Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: Raton, NM U.S.A.
I understand what you are saying Kirby, but what these guys are saying is "don't take a cadillac to a mudbog".

They are trying to breed dogs for what THEY are using them for, not for what everyone is using them for. They aren't looking for a dog that will toll coyotes, decoy coyotes, point birds, retrieve waterfowl etc, etc. They are looking for dogs to HUNT all day every day, no matter what. Maybe this doesn't sit right with you and that's ok with them, but they are doing what they feel they need to do. Bottom line is that they are feeding these dogs, and putting the time into them. Maybe they should give you a call the next time they are gonna cull a dog.

#1620072 - 06/19/10 08:42 AM Re: Culling dogs...... [Re: gonzaga]
kirby Offline
PM senior

gonzaga, I haven't owned a hound since the early 70's. I'm not interested in owning another dog. Nice try on the snip LOL!

These "best of the best" top dollar dogs. I would like to read about their full abilites/[experiences] from their proud owners. Not to mention any flaws that dog has. Post'em up wink I'll be on stand-by wink

#1620076 - 06/19/10 08:56 AM Re: Culling dogs...... [Re: kirby]
kirby Offline
PM senior

Two prime examples of a coyotes ability. Showing a hound's weakness or flaw.

On two different hunts. We had a lone coyote run/lope 11 miles. The other coyote ran/loped 9 miles. This was on low hilly terrain. We had a visual most all of the way on both coyotes. No dog alive we ever seen or knew of. Was capable of that endurance or stamina. Remarkable.

Our best trailhounds were capable of a couple miles at best on hilly terrain. Our best sighthounds capable of around a mile. Before giving up the ghost.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.